Hot flushes after eating?

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked to see if this was discussed before on this forum rather than starting a new thread, but seemed to get linked to threads about other illnesses. I think this is connected to diabetes though.

Sometimes after eating I get really hot. So hot it's like a fever and you can feel the heat radiating out of the top of my head! I get all red and my neck feels hot too. It happens quite soon after a meal and can last an hour or so. It doesn't always happen either.

Googling has landed me with some quite alarming diagnoses that have nothing to do with food but I'm certain it's related to meals because of the timing.

Obvious next step is to ask the doctor, but wondered if it is something other people have experienced.

I'm type 2 newly diagnosed on LCHF for about a month.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked to see if this was discussed before on this forum rather than starting a new thread, but seemed to get linked to threads about other illnesses. I think this is connected to diabetes though.

Sometimes after eating I get really hot. So hot it's like a fever and you can feel the heat radiating out of the top of my head! I get all red and my neck feels hot too. It happens quite soon after a meal and can last an hour or so. It doesn't always happen either.

Googling has landed me with some quite alarming diagnoses that have nothing to do with food but I'm certain it's related to meals because of the timing.

Obvious next step is to ask the doctor, but wondered if it is something other people have experienced.

I'd try eating more fat, it sounds like you need more energy, cold, tired, the flush of glycogenesis after eating.
and I'd have a teaspoon of salt a day for a while

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou both!

Hello Catherine, that certainly sounds like it! I don't like the suggestion that it could be linked to kidney problems but it did mention cheese and vinegar as triggers (and I had both before the last episode).

Jack, I've looked that up too and it's certainly a possibility.

I'm very new to diabetes and trying to avoid going on medication but so much is trial and error at this stage! I'm keeping a diary of BG levels and food I eat. I think I'll add hot flushes to this and see if I notice a pattern!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you are sweating after eating, it doesn't sound dietary and I would see a DR.
my experience with LCHF diet when I started is you get a warm feeling over your body till you are fat adapted
being recent they would have your blood test to see if they did the normal liver, kidney tests

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They have so far only taken my blood for BG tests. In fact I've yet to see a doctor. I was diagnosed and notified by a combination of the surgery receptionist and a nurse. I'm due back for the three month tests, and I'll go armed with questions!

G

gemma6549

Thankyou both!

Hello Catherine, that certainly sounds like it! I don't like the suggestion that it could be linked to kidney problems but it did mention cheese and vinegar as triggers (and I had both before the last episode).

Jack, I've looked that up too and it's certainly a possibility.

I'm very new to diabetes and trying to avoid going on medication but so much is trial and error at this stage! I'm keeping a diary of BG levels and food I eat. I think I'll add hot flushes to this and see if I notice a pattern!

This happens to me any time I eat cheese, it's like instant heat and sweatiness around my forehead.

G

gemma6549

This is because cheese has something in it that acts a bit like adrenaline, and the key one is called tyromine. when you eat a bit of cheese, it stimulates the part of the nervous system that adrenaline would usually stimulate, and thus causes sweating.

Reactions: 4 people

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Gemma. I had baked camembert (a whole one) with salad then not long after my head felt like a volcano! So it could be. This is recent though, I didn't have this problem before. I love cheese so rather hoping this isn't it :D

G

gemma6549

Thank you Gemma. I had baked camembert (a whole one) with salad then not long after my head felt like a volcano! So it could be. This is recent though, I didn't have this problem before. I love cheese so rather hoping this isn't it :D

I never had this before either, I've had diabetes for 14 years but only really had this issue in the last 12 months. Whenever I've researched sweating after eating it always seems to lead to a link with diabetes. I just still don't completely understand why!!

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't either! But I will ask my doctor soon.

I had a small amount of cheese at lunchtime and ended up with a hot flush about half an hour later. But, I'm certain there was also vinegar in the salad so not very scientific!

I may experiment with some cheddar in a moment...watch this space :D

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you lol i love cheese.

It didn't seem to be the cheese this time Gemma. At least not cathedral city cheddar

G

gemma6549

Well I would stick to cathedral city if it doesn't have the same effect. I think cheese is still problematic but there has to be some that are ok. If you've found one that's good :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Friend of mine (male) gets hot flushes and bright red rashes after peppers, chillies or fish.

Foxystarshine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Omg. My head sweats if I eat anything with vinegar in it. Just thinking about vinegar starts it off too. I've had it for years now. My neck sweats and so does my forehead

km4487

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get this, and always have, after chocolate. Thought i was the only one! It's so odd.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I've had diabetic type 2 for quite a few years now and often get this problem after eating. My neighbour is diabetic and has the same problem. I think it's something you may have to just live with. I love cheese too and eat a lot of it. I think it is to do with the insulin resistance as it's worse after large meals. It often makes me feel tired for a while too. My diabetes is well controlled by the way.