Hot flushes and diabetes

stuartclose

Hi

I am a 63 year old type 2 diabetic (successfully using Byetta) but recently the Dr. took my off of my HRT tablets saying that I had been on them too long, as I had been.

Now I am having the dreaded hot flushes, morning, noon and night and I found my BS are getting higher (6.5 - 7.2) but sometimes still achieving high 4's and 5's.

Is there any connection? The flushes are so strong that alternative treatments do not touch them. The lack of sleep etc. are driving me up the wall.

Pauline

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 59 and went through the menopause a long time ago,so any flushes I have are totally unrelated to that.

I recently changed my antidepressants, although I think I may not need them soon, however when I increased the dosage as advised by doctor, my hot flushes were horrendous. Not too many, maybe five a day, but I could be sat in a restaurant and the sweat would literally run down the back of my head as I could feel it, and also down my face and into my eyes, the whole of my body was hot and sticky. It would last about five mins. I have now gone back to lowest dose and only occasionally get them and not so bad.

I was told once by diabetic nurse that getting a flush during eating was due to the diabetes but I am unsure. It also depends how long you have been on the menopause as it could still be related for you.

Sorry I cant offer more hope!!
Welshbunny

stuartclose

Hi Welshbunny

Have been in the menopause for 10 whole years and am advised could go on another couple of years - great!!

As I am sitting here in the office a flush has just swept through me. I get them approx. hourly - its so disheartening.

I was the very lowest dose of HRT before which held most of them at bay.

My Dr. has prescribed me sleeping pills, only take on on a Saturday night, and thats the only night I get some sleep, my poor hubby still has to suffer.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply. Pauline

welshbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had problems sleeping, but just couldnt sleep. I was so against sleeping tablets that eventually my doctor prescribed Phenergan which in fact is anantihystamine, not a sleeping tablet so can be taken more often during the week. I found it great provided you take it early enough the night before, otherwise it lasts into the next day.

There are of course natural remedies for hot flushes, which you could investigate on line, worth looking into if you get that many. Some may we worth a try and normally you can always find people's recommendations regarding the different natural remedies.

Hope you find something ... worth surfing around.

Welshbunny.