Hot itchy feet at night!

jmd12

I was diagnosed Type2 at Christmas, am just controlling it by diet/exercise and had no actual symptons as far as was aware before diagnosis. It was just a annual blood test that showed it up.
However the last few nights I am having problems sleeping as my feet are burning and itchy.
I last had this problem when I had jaundice about 6 yrs ago.

So is it due to the diabetes? or am I going to have liver problems again? In other words, do I need to go and see GP before my next scheduled visit beginning of April?

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some of the reading I have done suggests that diabetics can have problems with dry skin, so perhaps it has something to do with that. You could always try some soothing lotion - wouldn't hurt anything and might make you feel better. If it doesn't go away, do they have nursing hotlines in the UK (I live in Canada). This is a number you can call with your symptoms to see if a visit to a doc is warranted on an "urgent" or "it can wait a bit" basis. Even a phone call into the ER (I believe you call them Casualty?) unit will do in a pinch. Saves everyone time and money in the long run. Hope you get some relief soon.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you had this symptom when you had liver problems, then it's probably a good idea to see your GP soon.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
I have had itchy feet - it has been worse since my diagnosis - my other symptom was very dry feet and this is how the nurse first thought I had diabetes!
Whatever the reason go and get it checked out - if it is the diabetes they may be able to give you something to soothe it, if it isn't then you will be on the way to getting it sorted!

Hope you get some relief soon!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jmd12,

Hot itchy feet could well be athlete's foot, however best to get you feet examined by your gp for a proper diagnosis.

Nigel

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Burning feet can be a diabetic symptom, I suffered with that long before I knew I was diabetic, and still do when I have been on my feet a lot. I am trying to find the most comfortable shoes I can to help relieve the problem. I also suffer dry skin and use E45 daily.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a gentleman that goes to my sports injury therapist every fortnight for some treatment for his 'hot itchy feet'-he has actually had a diagnosis of something that I have never hear of, and needless to say I have forgotten was his diagnosis was. However, I am seeing my chap for a massage on Tuesday, and will ask him more details.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
More information would be great - hot burning feet are very unpleasant :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The actual chap with the burning feet wasn't at the massage chap's today, BUT, I have got a little bit of information.

Apparently the gentleman has actually got really cold feet at night, but the pain he feels is intense heat and burning (not itching). He had said to me, the only thing he could do was to get up and walk around, and that he hadn't had a decent night's sleep for a long, long time. He has been actually diagnosed with 'Hot Feet Syndrome'- I must admit I have never heard of this before and have not been able to google it yet!!! He goes to have his feet placed in hot paraffin wax every other week and also has his legs and feet massaged as well every week.

I spoke to this gentelman last week, and asked him if it works and he said it definitely gives him relief and enables him to sleep better.
When I see him next week, I will ask him more details i.e how he got his diagnosis and what his full symptoms were and whether he has any drugs as well. I know that 'syndrome' is the name given to a set of symptoms, but something that hasn't had the definition of a cause or cure, but I had never heard of this before meeting this gentelman. Wil let you know more next week

Maistan

Hello
Do not suffer in silence get help as I used to have sleepless night due to itchy feet - some nights I would scratch until my feet were bleeding

I was told that my hot itchy feet was due to high sugar levels and bad controlled diabetes - it may be down to nothing more than Athletes Foot but if in doubt the best person to see is the podiatrist - I have posted many times that my feet are now the best they have been in years all down to taking control of my diabetes, sticking to lo carb diet resulting in reducing Hbac1 and using the 3 in one cream on a daily basis that was prescribed.

I still use the cream at least twice a week but this year I have feet that I can show off .............

HpprKM

Dislikes
My feet often burn so badly, usually when I have been on them more, have to be so careful about buying shoes some just exacerbate the problem. One word on the cream - I was told my my practice nurse to be careful about what creams I put on my feet, especially between the toes as this can cause dampness and inflammation with possibility of fungal disease, definitely not needed by a diabetic! I use medicated power on my feet and only use cream on soles and tops of my feet.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Is this a brand? A stylish, comfortable brand even.