Hot weather

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was just wondering how everyone is coping with the heat this summer?
I'm not doing too well and was hoping for some tips!
I've pretty much had heat exhaustion everyday this week while at work (I'm a gardener)
And I don't know what to do? I'm drinking a load of water and trying to keep as cool as possible, which is fairly difficult in my job!
Is there anything else I can do?
I literally have to stop every half an hour to sit down because it feels like I'm going to pass out or throw up! (Not nice!)
It's difficult because I can't not work, it's the busiest time of the year and I have a ton of jobs to do!

HELP!!!!

Many thanks!

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.
Or as my family call me 'Diabethic'

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I am afraid you have the worst job Beth in this weather, you are doing all the right things. Keep your head covered ,get a straw hat or a light cotton neckerchiefs to protect your neck so you don't get heat stroke.
Summer.gif

I am lucky being retired, my only problem is my feet and ankle swell tremendously. So today I am going to sit in my workshop (shed) with my feet in a bowl of cold water.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Keep well hydrated, wear a wide brimmed hat and keep your skin protected with sun cream. The hot weather can make us more vulnerable to hypo's, so monitor your bg closely and reduce your insulin doses if necessary.

The heat is tiring so appreciate where your coming from.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good advice above.

I'm very amateur but I like gardening, and I've noticed that it really makes my blood sugar drop quickly.

If you're feeling like passing out or throwing up, then it sounds like you need to be careful: take time to check your blood sugar levels frequently, and treat your hyper or hypo promptly. You don't want to keel over in the flower bed!

Could you take a small insulated cold pack with you, so that you could carry cold water, and cold wet wipes or a wet flannel, to cool your face, forehead and neck?

I hope you can retreat to some shade for a few seconds from time to time?

Don't do what I did and get sunburnt on the back of your neck. In my case, my sunburn turned nasty and I had to spend a day in A&E!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wet towel or a squirt/mist pump bottle with water, if Its not too humid

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice, luckily don't work every weekend so had this weekend off and been sat inside in front of a fan all day!
Will see how I get on next week and try all of the things you have suggested
Thank you again

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.

Reactions: 5 people

Anabel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was just wondering how everyone is coping with the heat this summer?
I'm not doing too well and was hoping for some tips!
I've pretty much had heat exhaustion everyday this week while at work (I'm a gardener)
And I don't know what to do? I'm drinking a load of water and trying to keep as cool as possible, which is fairly difficult in my job!
Is there anything else I can do?
I literally have to stop every half an hour to sit down because it feels like I'm going to pass out or throw up! (Not nice!)
It's difficult because I can't not work, it's the busiest time of the year and I have a ton of jobs to do!

HELP!!!!

Many thanks!

Beth, Type 1 diabetic.
How about putting a wet towel round your shoulders and neck, I don't know how you do your job in this weather,a lovely job all the same I love gardening but it's too hot just 10minutes is enough for me . I'm too hot even indoors

Anabel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have sent a reply in the wrong place, I am trying to get to grips with this site but I keep getting it wrong. I am a silver server not to worry
Anabel

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I seem to have sent a reply in the wrong place, I am trying to get to grips with this site but I keep getting it wrong. I am a silver server not to worry
Anabel
It's alright Anabel, plenty of other silver surfers here too :D

Reactions: 2 people