How are everyone's pregnancies going?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @newtonj Please don't stress yourself out over your DSN and the the few high bg's, obviously it's better if you don't have the highs but I think we've all experienced them during pregnancy no matter how hard we try sometimes it just happens due to hormones. you will probably find its a roller coaster ride for bg's during pregnancy but as long as you try your best, that's all anyone can ask. I had a few unexpected 12's and a 15 in pregnancy after eating an Indian takeaway one night so I just didn't have that meal again for the rest of pregnancy, could it have been something you ate that spiked you so high? Xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello I hope you don't mind me joining this thread! I'm 12 weeks + 1 day (according to my calculations:)), and due to have my 12 week scan on Tuesday:D. It was a planned pregnancy and my hba1c was 51 when we conceived. I thought I was doing great when I got my next hba1c through of 49 (I think that's 6.5%) as its the best I've ever been ( I used to have hba1c of 10% pre-pregnancy!!) and was busy thinking well done me, and the nurse just said well it needs to be tight, no well done or anything. :rolleyes:
Im on a pump and send a report off to the dsn every week, and wait for them to come back with suggestions of how to change basal, as it seems to change every week. They just seem to expect so much more from me than I can possibly do, and I am so stressed with trying to keep my levels right, and carb counting until I have nightmares about it. I even weigh most of my meals to make sure correct bolus etc.
anyway last night I felt rubbish and tested, my BG was 16!!:arghh::arghh: And I promptly burst into tears and feel like giving up. I am so scared it is going to have damaged the baby and SO SCARED of sending my next lot of results through to the dsn, and await their telling off. I woke up this morning with a bg of 12, and so its obviously been high all night even though I had corrected.
Awaiting the scan on Tuesday, but I suppose it wont even show on there if there's been damage or not.

Have any of you had high BG's as high as this?:eek: So worried. I just want my precious baby to be healthy and feel so terrible that I might have done something to hurt it:( I feel so bad. Desperately want to give up but know I CAN NOT.

Sorry just getting it all out the system!!! :)

J xx

Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, just don't stress or worry to much. I'm a couple of weeks further along than you and my dose (as I've heard is exactly the same for all diabetics at our stage of pregnancy) is constantly changing and being tweaked which is completely normal. The DSN and midwifes have to "cover their backs" and make sure there doing everything they can to keep on top of your bloods but at the end of the day, if you know your trying the best you can, that's all you can do!

Just keep testing, correct when necessary but make sure your not over correcting. I don't know how possible it is for you but 9 times out of 10 find that if I wake high, it's because I've gone low in the night and my liver had kicked out my store of glucose without me even waking up!! I thought my latest hba1c was going to be awful but was actually 5.7 and I was absolutely over the moon. My team were perfectly happy when my last hba1c was 6.5 so be proud of yourself, your going in the right direction!

It is a pain BUT just think, 6 months down the line it will all be worth it and you'll probably be wanting to do it all again in no time! xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my 12 week scan on Tuesday and turns out I was 13 + 1 which is what I was expecting!

I've booked a private gender scan for 16 weeks as I'm far to impatient to wait until 20 weeks! I'm so excited to see it again and find out whether I've got a little girl or boy in there

In the meantime, baby Wilko says hi to everyone

2f9f3517eb4d247516e74da1a42eba5c.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey ladies, I am now 29 weeks pregnant, baby had his 28 week growth scan Monday just gone and my consultant said he is absolutely perfect, if he Carrys on growing how he is I may be able to go full term - I can live in hope! I spent a night in hospital last week as had blood, I have a thrush infection which is causing my cervix to bleed thankfully this will not effect our boy but still concerning. Has anyone else had something similar? Xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah @Finley02 not experienced that but doesn't sound nice hope you're feeling ok love xx

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey thanks for the reply @Ellie_Wilko and @Mrsass. It really DOES make such a difference talking to people who actually understand what you're on about rather than just receive a blank look.
I have come to it not to stress about bad figures that have happened because there's nothing I can do about them.
Sorry to hear about your infection @Finley02, I have read about that happening, must be so uncomfortable too :hug: but SO PLEASED to hear your baby is absolutely perfect!! :D:happy: So happy for you, all that hard work has paid off!! Keep it up!

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @newtonj Please don't stress yourself out over your DSN and the the few high bg's, obviously it's better if you don't have the highs but I think we've all experienced them during pregnancy no matter how hard we try sometimes it just happens due to hormones. you will probably find its a roller coaster ride for bg's during pregnancy but as long as you try your best, that's all anyone can ask. I had a few unexpected 12's and a 15 in pregnancy after eating an Indian takeaway one night so I just didn't have that meal again for the rest of pregnancy, could it have been something you ate that spiked you so high? Xx

Thanks so much for your encouragement. The only reason I can think that I spiked so high, was because I'd had a hypo previous to that, and often after a hypo, it swings the other way really easily, and I obviously just picked at some food without realising or something, I honestly don't really know. It was the hypo the next morning that did it. The stress of that, and the hormones of a pregnant woman, really did set the taps running;) Completely got over it now, and just looking forward to my scan on Tuuuuuesdayyyy :):dummy1::happy: xxx

Reactions: 4 people

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:happy::happy:
Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, just don't stress or worry to much. I'm a couple of weeks further along than you and my dose (as I've heard is exactly the same for all diabetics at our stage of pregnancy) is constantly changing and being tweaked which is completely normal. The DSN and midwifes have to "cover their backs" and make sure there doing everything they can to keep on top of your bloods but at the end of the day, if you know your trying the best you can, that's all you can do!

Just keep testing, correct when necessary but make sure your not over correcting. I don't know how possible it is for you but 9 times out of 10 find that if I wake high, it's because I've gone low in the night and my liver had kicked out my store of glucose without me even waking up!! I thought my latest hba1c was going to be awful but was actually 5.7 and I was absolutely over the moon. My team were perfectly happy when my last hba1c was 6.5 so be proud of yourself, your going in the right direction!

It is a pain BUT just think, 6 months down the line it will all be worth it and you'll probably be wanting to do it all again in no time! xx

Thanks, I'll try not to stress, and I agree the DSN do have to cover their backs. And I know they're only trying to help me really.
I don't often wake up high these days anymore thankfully, but it's all changing constantly so I don't know what the next thing is I might need to change:rolleyes:
It is so difficult not to overcorrect. specially when you've got a high reading that you know is far too high, but you also know you've still got active insulin inside you. i'm afraid i'm still a culprit of correcting anyway just to stop it going any higher.

it WILL be all worth it. I can't WAIT. I've just been with my new little nephew, he's only a few weeks old, and oh so precious!!! :angelic::happy: This pregnancy is my first, so I can't imagine how amazing it must be to have my very own baby :dummy1::happy:

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I can imagine that they (DSNs, diabetologists etc.) try to be as sympathetic as possible... but it's disheartening when you see them, and you give them your numbers which you are actually quite proud of and they look at them and say "not good enough" (true story).

Now they are saying "you're too low".

I don't feel that you can win really! All you can really do is be confident that you know that you are doing the very best you can for yourself and your baby.

In other news, I am starting to freak out about becoming a mother. This is going to be hilarious. I REALLY haven't a clue what I'm doing. My mother says that I will pick it up as I go along... but she also says that I'm an idiot for buying a bath seat rather than a bath as a bath seat means that baby is in the bath where my feet have been and that baby will get an infection.... I mean, how gross does she think my feet are?!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Postitnote I'm sure your feet are perfectly clean : D

The bath seat will be fine for when baby is a bit older Mine was for use frim 6 months when they can sit up a bit, but I actually didn't use it until a bit later as my son loved his baby bath. If you've yet to buy a baby bath, check out the sizes as some of them are much smaller than others and so don't last as long.

There are plenty of baby care books out there if you need to check stuff out. Even though I already had two children, I bought a book when I had my last baby recently as things change (eg rules about sleeping) and anyway it's nice to have something to refer to or just browse through :)

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I hope you don't mind me joining this thread! I'm 12 weeks + 1 day (according to my calculations:)), and due to have my 12 week scan on Tuesday:D. It was a planned pregnancy and my hba1c was 51 when we conceived. I thought I was doing great when I got my next hba1c through of 49 (I think that's 6.5%) as its the best I've ever been ( I used to have hba1c of 10% pre-pregnancy!!) and was busy thinking well done me, and the nurse just said well it needs to be tight, no well done or anything. :rolleyes:
Im on a pump and send a report off to the dsn every week, and wait for them to come back with suggestions of how to change basal, as it seems to change every week. They just seem to expect so much more from me than I can possibly do, and I am so stressed with trying to keep my levels right, and carb counting until I have nightmares about it. I even weigh most of my meals to make sure correct bolus etc.
anyway last night I felt rubbish and tested, my BG was 16!!:arghh::arghh: And I promptly burst into tears and feel like giving up. I am so scared it is going to have damaged the baby and SO SCARED of sending my next lot of results through to the dsn, and await their telling off. I woke up this morning with a bg of 12, and so its obviously been high all night even though I had corrected.
Awaiting the scan on Tuesday, but I suppose it wont even show on there if there's been damage or not.

Have any of you had high BG's as high as this?:eek: So worried. I just want my precious baby to be healthy and feel so terrible that I might have done something to hurt it:( I feel so bad. Desperately want to give up but know I CAN NOT.

Sorry just getting it all out the system!!! :)

J xx

Hi @newtonj

Welcome!!
It sounds like you are doing an amazing job judging by your hba1cs! Don't stress, stop worrying so much! I'm almost 17 weeks and have had a couple of 15/16s and worse at the very start of my pregnancy (before I even knew) as long as u act on them quickly and are on top of things! Which I'm sure u are if you're like me and feel you are doing 1000 tests a day!! The thing is your insulin requirements change so frequently you may notice a high in a similar place before a couple of days before you are able to act on it! Don't let it stress you! I've already got a little boy and my sugars in the morning (every morning) were terrible! I was not able to counteract them with my pens, that's why I'm on a pump this time and things r running a lot more smoothly! So far!!
Actually
Keep on doing what you are doing, test lots and keep your chin up, you are doing the best you can!

X X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@newtonj argh it's a nightmare to get it right when correcting a high/hypo the only tip I can offer you is patience..
I constantly used to over correct either with insulin to sort out a high or with biscuit after biscuit to sort out a hypo, through pregnancy, I found a few jelly babies/small amount of lucozade to be the best thing to work for my hypos, at one point I thought I was going to look like a bottle of lucozade but I only allowed myself around 1/4 of a bottle then I'd wait it out & test my bg to see if it was moving up, then just have a biscuit to keep it steady or eat a meal if I was due one. Remember if there is a habit to your highs/hypos it's likely your insulin requirements are changing so you will need to adjust.

It's a constant effort during pregnancy, just as I got used to the daily lows my bg started to be higher then the pregnancy range no matter how much I adjusted, not massively but they drill it into you so much about being in them ranges, but as long as you are trying your best - which you 100% sound as though you are!

your attitude about not stressing and it being in the past is what I did too, I'd freak out for a second but then made myself correct and just move on, don't dwell, you've enough to contend with already :) xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've had my 20 week scan today and there is barely any fluid round the baby baby's organs r working fine, and it had kidneys and a bladder which was one of the worries! I'm terrified as I don't know what the future holds! Currently in hospital awaiting test and an internal! I know it's not diabetes related but just wondering if u guys know anything X

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sarah you poor thing. I doubt know much about fluid kinky that too much isn't a good sign, not much I have no idea. Have they given you a clue what they are testing for? Thinking of you xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I have no idea either! No idea why it has happened either, I have had another scan on the placenta and blood flow which came back strong! I have been referred to another hospital for consolation too, I could possibly be admitted there but it's a plane/boat journey away from my family! I have a scan next Thursday to see if fluid has Increased! My consultant was very doom and gloom! if there is no more fluid there next week then things look pretty bleak! He basically said too that baby could give up at anytime unless there is enough fluid for him (we think from the scan that it's a boy but unsure as lack of fluid) and that if I start bleeding or if I'm concerned about movement to go in

I spoke to my dsn who was extremely supportive and as reassuring as she could be, she told me to look at the positives rest and relax baby's organs (bladder and kidneys) working and the placental blood flow is strong, and maybe by next week the fluid could have recovered some! And to focus on the fact that baby is still moving, as unhappy babies don't move!

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Blimey what a day you've had. Your DSN is right all the vitals are there and it's good your placenta is healthy and strong. How many weeks are you? Keep positive. These little babies are little miracles already in their
own rights. I'm thinking of you. Xx

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hang in there (you and baby!). I know that fluid is constantly being replaced so perhaps in a day or two there will be more? I don't suppose there has been any.... leaking? Definitely focus on positives! Aside from the fluid everything looks good

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sarahkylie88 Keep positive. That's all you can do. Rest and look after yourself. I want to give you another hug - I know how stressful it must be. Remember that the consultant may be giving you the worst case scenario, so keep thinking positively.

When I was pregnant, I was also on a general pregnancy forum. There was a lady there who had low fluid but it had increased by the next scan (still low but better). I don't think they found any cause for,it. She had to have extra scans to check the level of fluid and check baby was ok.

I hope your level increases too. Keep strong.

Love and best wishes xxxxxxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ahh @Sarahkylie88 massive hug for you Hun you must be so stressed!!

I'm not sure how it works with fluid but from others comments I'm seeing that it can go up so try to stay calm & rest n hopefully that fluid goes up & up!

I didn't have any issues with fluid n haven't really known anyone that has so I'm not much help sorry my love, keeping my fingers so tightly crossed for you though, as Azure said the doc has to give worst case so let's be positive & focus on beat case :) xxx