How are 'Sugar free biscuits' suppose to affect bs level

Abri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently i came across 'sugar free biscuits' and i decided to try them as a snack. About two hours later i checked my bs and it was 9.1. I had eaten five biscuits. I felt disappointed as i was happy that i found something nice to snack on without affecting my bs levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They may be sugar free but they are still made from flour, check the nutritional info for carb content.

Reactions: dbr10

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sugar free is a gimmick.... they usually have a high carb content.

5 biscuits, you probably just had around 20 - 25g of carbs

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I just checked, It said 42% wheat flour. I was misled by sugar free.

Check the carbs and bolus accordingly if you need to.

I just eat normal biscuits in moderate portions.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently i came across 'sugar free biscuits' and i decided to try them as a snack. About two hours later i checked my bs and it was 9.1. I had eaten five biscuits. I felt disappointed as i was happy that i found something nice to snack on without affecting my bs levels.
I go to a support group at local hospital manly for people trying to cope with their diabetes. At the meeting before Xmas the person taking the group - himself type 1 - brought in some biscuits and sweets from the Boots No Added Sugar range - which, of course, means nothing, as they all had too many carbs. Needless to say, I didn't try any, but all the others did. I was quite surprised.

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No added sugar - just a way of lying to you that they are okay, when they are not.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Yeah, you see sugar free and instantly get your hopes up this will be a snack you can have. It's disappointing to say the least. I think it is clever marketing in a way, to get sales, but using tactics that I think are misleading is very questionable. I'm probably being too kind in saying that of their marketing practices.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IF ITS A BISCUIT AND IT TASTES NICE YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE PRICE SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE.
It's all a con, not illegal but not all the information. Nearly purchased some 50% less fat biscuits a while back, at the last minute I decided to check the values against a standard packet. Sure enough it was true they had 50% less fat but the carbohydrates/ sugar was actually higher than the standard packet.