1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How bad is diabetes?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by therower, Jul 7, 2017.

1. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For all of us who may be struggling to cope and manage our diabetes. I'd like to ask you to consider a young boy who we have recently lost.Bradley Lowery.
    There are more Bradley's in this world.
    On a personal level I feel so lucky to only have diabetes.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There was an interesting program on TV recently called Doctor in the House with Dr Rangan Chatterjee. In the last show there were a couple of women with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. He said that many of his patients did not need drugs, but did need a lifestyle change. I think type 2 diabetes can be fixed by a low carb diet, fasting, exercise and mindfulness.

Potentially, diabetes is a very serious ailment and if you don't manage it well it can seriously shorten your life expectancy. However, if you do get it well controlled then your risk of complications is small. Since being diagnosed with type 2 I feel that my health has greatly improved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. therower

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I always take great inspiration & admire those who drive life "like they stole it."
    It could be a hell of a lot worse...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I fully agree @therower.

Just when you think that you're having a bad day and you were dealt a bad hand - just thinking of children dying is enough. There's no point in listing all the ailments that are equally as bad or definitely worse than T1D, but there are plenty.

Nice post by the way:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. covknit

covknit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bradleys story is indeed tragic but so many awful things happen. I was once in hospital for 6 weeks. I was lucky about 75% of patients did not make it through. Amongst them was a young lad aged about 10 whose entire body was shutting down. By the time I met him he had very little movement available to him just a facial tic and his eyes. He could speak volumes with those eyes. He knew what was happening to him but he was always smiling. Then one afternoon he was not there.

I am reminded of something I was once told about thinking the grass is greener for someone else. Everyone has challenges in life no matter how dreadful we feel our own circumstances we are sure to accept our personal burden and consider ourselves lucky if we ever found the truth about what any one else has to contend with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Simon84

Simon84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

RIP Bradley,Sleep well little man.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Poor little boy, it was so sad to hear of Bradley's passing yesterday. RIP.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had never heard of Bradley but saw yesterday he had died and that is sad for someone so young. We can always find someone worse off than us that's life we just have to make the best of ours

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I don't really understand attaching competitive principles to disease and death. But I see that it must be very human, as many do it.

Of course a six year old dying is tragic, absolutely. Does it really help a middle-aged diabetic (myself) to compare myself to a very sad case of a child with neuroblastoma? I don't get it. I await explanation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Simon84

Simon84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It shows that things could be much worse in the grand scheme of things...Simples.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

It is indeed very sad when a child dies and my heart goes out to the parents, close family and friends. I had heard of the little boy, but didn't know what his condition was. I am truly thankful that my little granddaughter survived after being diagnosed with type 1 at 2 1/2 years, she was fighting to stay alive on HDU, so frightening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had not heard of this young boy till you posted @therower so Google to the rescue, here's the main link to Bradley Lowerys Fight website: https://bradleylowerysfight.org.uk/

RIP Bradley you fought to the end.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kumera

kumera Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Of course you can't cry for every single death. People die horrible deaths every single minute, but by taking out one person and tell their story, you feel empathy with this person (or should do) and therefor it makes you think about have lucky you are. You're still middle-aged and diabetic, but for a minute it might make you feel more appreciative of what good things you have in life instead of dwelling on the bad things. I assume you do have good things in life????

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AloeSvea

Ha! Someone did reply? And it is one of my own country-people! And it was, slightly - rude??!! Well I never! I feel like I should put a 'joyful' emoticon in here, but it is hugely inappropriate in a thread about a very tragic death of a child with a horrible disease.

Thinking about the tragic death of young child does not make me think about the good things in life, actually. But that's just me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well said @kumera, I am aged 59, type 1 for 28 years and I hope to have another 28 year's + on this planet. Life has been like a roller coaster at times, with sad and tragic death's as well, but we carry on with our day to day lives and thankful that we can and that our children can too :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. therower

@AloeSvea . You are so right in what you say, the death of a child should not make you think of the good things in life.
    What it should do is make you appreciate the good things in life.
    Big difference!!!!!!!!!!
    If I appear slightly rude, put it down to me being not one of your country men, but British, arrogant and grateful to be alive diabetic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AloeSvea

All good @therower. I think all diabetics who spend time in this forum are working towards the same goal - to be alive for as long as we can. In whatever way we can. And we folks can be very different in how we do that. Nothing to do with arrogance, of course. Just different strokes for different folks.

Serves me right to actually come onto this thread and ask for elucidation. lol. In the future I will just stick to the food experiments and discussion of. And leave these kinds of discussions for face to face life, where the full spectrum of empathy, mutual understanding, and subtle enquiries goes down a lot better IMHO. My fault.

What a shame there are so few folks though, with T2D or prediabetes in my own IRL! One less, recently, due to her dying of a heart attack. Other friends said - "that was out of the blue." "No," I said "- this is how diabetics tend to die."

But I did just just promise not to engage on such topics in the forum. I am leaving this thread now. I promise.

19. AloeSvea

ps I know it's strokes, more often than actual heart attacks? Isn't it? Then kidney failure?

pps If anyone I know watches the dire doco "The Disease that is Killing my Family" (can be watched online) I tell them to absolutely call me up, as there is a really bright side to the tale, ie you can get better with T2D, and I can share with them how (including joining this forum, of course.) But hard to fault the doco maker, because it was his father that he was documenting, dying with previously uncontrolled T2D. It is a very dire doco, lots of amputation footage, and I don't actually advise anyone to watch it, as I think the doco maker is principally using scare tactics to get his heartfelt message across. (That is, don't go uncontrolled.) But as I say - how to fault him? It was his dad. And my country is a diabetes hotspot. (Pacific country.)

I DID promise to get out of here... I am going... I promise....

20. therower

Hi @AloeSvea . I'm neither right nor wrong in what I post on this forum, it's only my opinion. Likewise I have no desire to undermine or criticise your or anyone else's opinion.
    Occasionally a post or thread or response evokes a reaction to which we feel a need to respond. If we didn't respond and give our opinions there would be no point to a forum like this.
    Fully admire your response to my somewhat knee jerk reaction earlier in the post.
    Hopefully we can continue our fight together as friends.

P.S. You still have the greatest Rugby team, it hurts, but it's true.
    Have a good day.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook