How can I increase energy???

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any suggestions how to increase energy on a low carb diet please?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Increase your level of fats (wherever you choose to get them from) slightly until you feel differently.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Eat more fat?

If you are truly low carbohydrate (say 50 grams or less per day) then you must already be getting most of your energy from protein and fat.

It may be more a mental thing, but if your energy supply is sorted then there are two things left; firstly you have to exercise to build muscle, fitness and stamina; secondly you have to believe that your energy is fine even though you aren't eating carbohydrates. Don't worry that you will run out of energy if you don't have a gel or a piece of cake.

As a long term LCHF person I can go out with the cycling club in the morning after drinking coffee, butter and double cream then cycle about 20 miles, stop for a rest and a black coffee, then cycle another 5 miles. I am certain that I couldn't do this if I was still fuelled by carbohydrates.

Others do the traditional cyclist thing and load up on cake, chocolate, biscuits, sugary drinks etc. Works for them but I still manage to mostly keep up.:)

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any suggestions how to increase energy on a low carb diet please?
I am struggling with this problem too. It is true that I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I can do without high carb snacks before, during and after exercise far better than I would have thought possible. BUT I am still not feeling good or running well or doing as long sessions of resistance training as I was. However, unfortunately for me I am an elderly female weighing only 109lbs and the amount of carbs I can eat is pathetically small. As a younger bloke you can afford to eat many more than me. Have you fine-tuned your carb intake? IMO there is no point in reducing one's carbs below what is necessary for good bg levels.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am struggling with this problem too. It is true that I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I can do without high carb snacks before, during and after exercise far better than I would have thought possible. BUT I am still not feeling good or running well or doing as long sessions of resistance training as I was. However, unfortunately for me I am an elderly female weighing only 109lbs and the amount of carbs I can eat is pathetically small. As a younger bloke you can afford to eat many more than me. Have you fine-tuned your carb intake? IMO there is no point in reducing one's carbs below what is necessary for good bg levels.

I play tennis at a high level but since I was diagnosed last September I quit the sport, for now anyway.

I just don’t have energy on low carb.

Been told by some people here to increase fat intake but my body would just not switch to a fat burner, unfortunately!

I tried Ketogenic diet for 5-6 weeks and i nearly died for loss of energy. Ketogenic diet is unsustainable and even dangerous.

You’ve got to find the right amount of carb that’s good for you.

Reactions: Arlmy

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat more fat?

If you are truly low carbohydrate (say 50 grams or less per day) then you must already be getting most of your energy from protein and fat.

It may be more a mental thing, but if your energy supply is sorted then there are two things left; firstly you have to exercise to build muscle, fitness and stamina; secondly you have to believe that your energy is fine even though you aren't eating carbohydrates. Don't worry that you will run out of energy if you don't have a gel or a piece of cake.

As a long term LCHF person I can go out with the cycling club in the morning after drinking coffee, butter and double cream then cycle about 20 miles, stop for a rest and a black coffee, then cycle another 5 miles. I am certain that I couldn't do this if I was still fuelled by carbohydrates.

Others do the traditional cyclist thing and load up on cake, chocolate, biscuits, sugary drinks etc. Works for them but I still manage to mostly keep up.:)

Thank you for this.

I tried Ketogenic but my body wouldn’t switch I’m afraid. Instead I nearly died and taken by ambulance for loss of energy!!!

When you say increase fats, but what kind of fats?

Isn’t that diabetics should not eat foods high in saturated fat ie in creams, cheese, oils etc. because that would further cause fatty liver and further complicate the pancreas?

Professor Roy Taylor from the Newcastle Research has proven the fact that fats particularly due to high intake of saturated fats is the main culprit for clogging up the liver and pancreas.

I’d like to know your views please...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ve had this question discussed with some frequency on the forum.

If you are now on insulin and you don’t low carb then you need to see your GP if your energy levels are lacking.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this.

I tried Ketogenic but my body wouldn’t switch I’m afraid. Instead I nearly died and taken by ambulance for loss of energy!!!

When you say increase fats, but what kind of fats?

Isn’t that diabetics should not eat foods high in saturated fat ie in creams, cheese, oils etc. because that would further cause fatty liver and further complicate the pancreas?

Professor Roy Taylor from the Newcastle Research has proven the fact that fats particularly due to high intake of saturated fats is the main culprit for clogging up the liver and pancreas.

I’d like to know your views please...

Are you referring to your thread about nearly dying in A&E because that’s not quite the story you gave.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you referring to your thread about nearly dying in A&E because that’s not quite the story you gave.

Im no longer on insulin.

I tried Ketogenic diet but my body wouldn’t switch to fat burning!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im no longer on insulin.

I tried Ketogenic diet but my body wouldn’t switch to fat burning!

Yes, you keep mentioning that, what do you eat now? Is it the same highly restricted diet you’ve told us about before?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you keep mentioning that, what do you eat now? Is it the same highly restricted diet you’ve told us about before?

I don’t eat foods high in saturated fats as promoted by the Ketogenic diet.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t eat foods high in saturated fats as promoted by the Ketogenic diet.

No, what do you actually eat? What have you eaten today? You’ve already said you don’t do keto so what do you eat?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, what do you actually eat? What have you eaten today? You’ve already said you don’t do keto so what do you eat?

For breakfast I usually have omelette with mushrooms or raspberries with plain soy yogurt and walnuts.

Lunch, this varies from fried salmon and stir fried vegetables or chicken soup with vegetables or stir fried chicken with vegetables or smoked salmon with avocado and salad or soy chicken with salad.

Dinner, similar to lunch.

Snacks, pumpkin seeds, almonds, pistachios or walnuts, Keto cakes!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast I usually have omelette with mushrooms or raspberries with plain soy yogurt and walnuts.

Lunch, this varies from fried salmon and stir fried vegetables or chicken soup with vegetables or stir fried chicken with vegetables or smoked salmon with avocado and salad or soy chicken with salad.

Dinner, similar to lunch.

Snacks, pumpkin seeds, almonds, pistachios or walnuts, Keto cakes!

Then go and see your GP. If you are eating good portions of those foods then your energy levels should be normal. It may be something like anemia as I can see you don’t have good sources of iron or folates, it could also be a B12 deficiency amongst other things.

Low carb plus low fat only works in the short term, it is not sustainable.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ketogenic diet causes fatty liver.

How? If there is too much cheese, oils and saturated fats floating in our blood stream, where do they all get stored up and go in the end? In the liver and consequently in the pancreas!!!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have absolutely no energy with lchf diet.

What you have described is not a LCHF diet, it’s low carb and low fat. Not sustainable. You’ve already been given advice to up your fat levels but it seeems you haven't.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then go and see your GP. If you are eating good portions of those foods then your energy levels should be normal. It may be something like anemia as I can see you don’t have good sources of iron or folates, it could also be a B12 deficiency amongst other things.

Low carb plus low fat only works in the short term, it is not sustainable.

I’m already taking B vitamins and Iron!
Thank you.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What you have described is not a LCHF diet, it’s low carb and low fat. Not sustainable. You’ve already been given advice to up your fat levels but it seeems you haven't.

Can’t eat saturated fats I’m afraid it’s unhealthy.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ketogenic diet causes fatty liver.

How? If there is too much cheese, oils and saturated fats floating in our blood stream, where do they all get stored up and go in the end? In the liver and consequently in the pancreas!!!

I see your agenda is to push the myth that sat fat is bad for you. I don’t believe it is at all, but if your current diet isn’t working you have to change it. You can either increase fat or carbs, the choice is yours.