How did you feel about switching onto injections?

benedict

Administrator
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon

Reactions: 8 people
A

Anonymous

benedict said:
How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

I was against it to start with because I assumed, wrongly, that I would have to find a vein and would have to fill a syringe. I suppose I assumed it'd be like a scene from "Trainspotting"

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?

Once I'd seen the procedure and how easy the pens were to use, it wasn't a problem. In fact, I pushed my DB team to put me on them as I was feeling so ill.

If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?

The actual injections are really easy, though using fast-acting is not so. You have to calculate what you're eating, have to pre-empt the meal to calculate the dose - I had loads of hypos using fast acting and I don't use it now.

- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

It makes me feel that my condition is more serious than if I was on tablets. I went on to insulin before changing my diet and I bitterly regret not trying to get my diet right first. Though I've reduced the dosage of my basal dramatically, I'm still too high to get off it completely.

Reactions: 6 people

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just sheer relief as tablets no longer working and having bgs in the high teens was such a worry. Took to it easily and taught myself carb counting and havent looked back. One thing I would like to happen for all going on to insulin is a buddy scheme whereby you are put in touch with an established insulin user so that you have someone to ask those trivial little things which always occur to you after 5 on a Friday when all medics have gone home for the weekend :thumbup:

Reactions: 34 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
borderer said:
...One thing I would like to happen for all going on to insulin is a buddy scheme whereby you are put in touch with an established insulin user so that you have someone to ask those trivial little things which always occur to you after 5 on a Friday when all medics have gone home for the weekend :thumbup:
There's always plenty of help here - although not necessarily instant ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Homer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It was my decision as I had controlled my blood sugar with diet for 10 years. Didn't fancy tablets as you do not have the same control as insulin. Bit worried at first, it's taken nearly 18 months to get the hang of it. Now very happy with my decision.

Mileana

I actively asked - it's the best thing I've done for a long time.

I was left to sort out dosage increase, not told of carb ratios or anything like that, but have worked that out.

It's been 2 months, asked to be put on basal/bolus instead of mix as the mix messed up my routine around eating and training as it became too unpredictable.

Getting the information I was after was harder than I thought - lots of calls, mails, internet studies trying to find reliable sources and a bit of nail biting.

Now after a while, having control in my own hands is brilliant as I feel less need to contact doc and Diabetes Nurse as I can work it out myself. Not having to take pills that made me sick is a serious plus too. Not having to 'give up' because I couldn't make diet or pills work is excellent - I have options and choices again.

I may be 1.5, tests are in but no result yet, so you decide what to do with the data.

Van1946

For me it was the best thing I ever did, after 7years on pills, and some making me have bad side affects, insulin was a relief, I can now watch my bg and my diet. I keep to 30 carbs per day, walk my dogs twice a day and my sleeping is better, can do more around the house and take care of myself better. My husband is a great help he sets up my injections and takes an interest in my diet.

Reactions: 4 people

tracy 64

hi i am still getting used to it, ive not long come out of hospital where i spent 3 weeks on a insulin drip , i was wrongly diagnosed and it wasnt till i went to the optician cos my eyesight went that i was sent to the drs for a glucose test, on the day my results were due i couldnt keep awake and was not really responding to anybody, the dr rang the house at 7pm and asked for me, my partner tried to wake me but couldnt, the dr said he had rang cos my blood sugar was 37.7 and wanted me to be seen at the hospital but as i couldnt be roused he needed to call an ambulance, it turned out i was in a coma and im lucky to be here, i didnt really remember anything for around 3 days, im now on insulin and its a big thing for me i get quite upset about it sometimes and its hard to not rebel against it but hopefully ill be ok , they are not sure if there will be any lasting damage especially to my kidneys , liver and eyesight because of the sugar and even though they have spotted damage to them all im hoping it will not be forever and that i can live a normal life

shahidkhalil

My doctor made me start with the insulin directly. Initially when my bg was already at lower side, taking insulin half an hour before having food I could actually feel it running inside my body. But I'm pretty used to it now :)

dabmim

I was having mixed emotions when they mentioned insulin to me. I was happy on one hand as I thought my hb1ac might come back down. But on the other, the thought of injecting yourself filled me with dread.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Ramjet, keep reading to gain a better understanding of what these educated, knowledgeable people have to say.

There is a lot to learn from experienced users.

I see that you are a herb adviser, what do you recommend ?

Superchip

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I am a type 1, but my doctors thought I was a type 2 for a month or two because I wasn't, well.. dead. They thought my body was producing some insulin and got very confused as I am young and only a couple of lbs overweight. As soon as I heard the word injections, I cringed. Not because I hate needles, but the thought of just doing it constantly and I'd seen my aunt do it her whole life - wasn't nice.

After Metformin and diet didn't work for 2 months, I decided to bite the bullet and asked to go on insulin because I was sick of feeling like **** and sitting at levels of 13 - 25 constantly despite my efforts.

My nurse made me inject to practice - didn't feel a thing! I was SO happy it didn't hurt or wasn't annoying or anything. I have tiny 4mm needles though. Sometimes for me, it DOES sting and can be uncomfortable, but the alternative is worse, so you just push through it. Remember how scary the idea of pricking your finger everyday was? Now it's just routine like brushing your teeth, right? :)

SueR

Byetta was my first go at injecting and that took some getting used to to. Once you realise that injecting doesn't hurt and that with practice it becomes easier life isn't too bad. I actually shook when I did my first Byetta injection ! When my bg levels continued to rise I contacted my DSN and asked to go on insulin and I did feel better for it too.

Yes it was a relief to be put on it - partner was already on it by this time, as Byetta was a waste of time for him. I more or less knew what to do, having helped him. Hypos and realising that I am about to hypo are still a bit of a worry, but so far I have avoided any - been using insulin since this time last year - so that's not bad going.

I have been able to help a friend who went on Byetta and then insulin. We support each other and chat about our worries and concerns.

carbo

I'd love to go on Insulin as Metformin is causing me kidney problems but my nurse says I am too old and the doctor agrees.Also to get a decent HBA1C 7.1 my diet is extremely boring.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My Endocrinologist put me on Humalog (fast acting) and Levemir (slow acting) insulin and an incretin (Victoza). I'm a type 2. Most everything I read said putting a type 2 on insulin is a death sentance, because it will raise insulin levels above what is safe. I did it anyway. Normal lab insulin range here is 0 to 10. What i've read is above 10 puts you at 5 times risk for heart attack. Last blood labs showed a level of 116. This is not good. I've stopped all my insulin and guess what? My blood sugars went down and my insulin levels went down to a more reasonable level, 27. I'm hoping to get it even lower.

ALL MAJOR CHRONIC DISEASES ARE CAUSED BY HIGH INSULIN!

Drugs are not a cure for a nutritional disease! High insulin is what causes type 2 diabetes.

Since I've not taken insulin I'm losing about a pound a day. :thumbup:

Failure

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Needles Of Any Kind :(
Currently taking x3 metformin a day (morning/afternoon/evening) with no real change at all blood sugar levels are still high, And i am not looking forward to switching to switching to injections because i have a fear of needles and i hate them alot. :thumbdown:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't be afraid of needles, it hurts far less to inject than to test. The needles are very thin and tiny.

I'm concerned that an earlier poster said that taking insulin was a death sentence for type 2s. This is alarmist and untrue. If your pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin then you need injected .
Some people need to take insulin for life, others like Sid on here find that they can come off it eventually . Obviously that will depend on how much insulin your body produces.

There is a frequent poster on a couple of the US forums, he has had T2 for over 17 years, for the first 12 years he took oral medications but eventually his glucose levels began to rise. He went onto insulin, and being in the US he was eventually able to use a pump (though I'm sure he could have got similar results without).
Here are his HbA1cs for the last few years (from his signature)
2012 A1c 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4 2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9 2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<----Pump 6.9 (Mix) 2006 7.8 (Lantus) 8.5 8.7 7.1 (Pills) 2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)
Which do you think was better for him the slide upwards to higher and higher glucose levels and the higher risk of diabetic complications or the steady levels he has now?
He's not the only one I know of, just the one who I thought of first.