How dietary fat can influence the brain in weight loss.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ickihun

The thing that jumped out when I read the link was this paragraph:
In this study, the researchers fed mice a fast food-like diet rich in fat for four weeks, which is known to cause microglia to expand in number and to trigger local inflammation within the MBH. Mice fed such a diet also eat more food, burn fewer calories, and gain more weight compared to mice eating a more healthy, low-fat diet.

It highlights quite a few things to me
- the researchers were testing mice, not humans
- the mice were fed 'a fast food-like diet rich in fat for 4 weeks' and we all know that fast food is rich in carbs AND fat, don't we? Yet from that point on in the article, the diet is constantly referred to as 'rich in fat', not rich in 'carbs and fat'.
- there was a strong assumption that eating a low-fat diet is healthy

There is a lot there that I disagree with, but I don't know whether that is because the research was set up badly, or the person who wrote the article did so without understanding what they were saying, but from what I have just read I wouldn't compare my human body's reactions on a ketogenic diet to a lab mouse's reactions on a high fat, high carb 'fast food-like' diet. It is like comparing chalk and cheese. Or Stork margarine and organic grass fed butter. Or comparing Pop Tarts with home made low carb muffins, fresh homegrown strawberries and organic clotted cream...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The opening sentence really p**ses me off.. it makes a bold statement the semi qualifies it and as @Brunneria says if you read on further down you realised how flawed a study it is. Just really bad science.
reminds me of this...

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 22.54.00.png

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That point caught my immediate attention, too. A fast food diet.

Wouldn't it be better to have people eat a proper healthy diet than develope a drug to treat people whose diet is carb rich?
Overall though, a really interesting article. Thank you for the link.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @ickihun

The thing that jumped out when I read the link was this paragraph:
In this study, the researchers fed mice a fast food-like diet rich in fat for four weeks, which is known to cause microglia to expand in number and to trigger local inflammation within the MBH. Mice fed such a diet also eat more food, burn fewer calories, and gain more weight compared to mice eating a more healthy, low-fat diet.

It highlights quite a few things to me
- the researchers were testing mice, not humans
- the mice were fed 'a fast food-like diet rich in fat for 4 weeks' and we all know that fast food is rich in carbs AND fat, don't we? Yet from that point on in the article, the diet is constantly referred to as 'rich in fat', not rich in 'carbs and fat'.
- there was a strong assumption that eating a low-fat diet is healthy

There is a lot there that I disagree with, but I don't know whether that is because the research was set up badly, or the person who wrote the article did so without understanding what they were saying, but from what I have just read I wouldn't compare my human body's reactions on a ketogenic diet to a lab mouse's reactions on a high fat, high carb 'fast food-like' diet. It is like comparing chalk and cheese. Or Stork margarine and organic grass fed butter. Or comparing Pop Tarts with home made low carb muffins, fresh homegrown strawberries and organic clotted cream...
That's what I noticed to be the most controversial part too.
I think they really mean carbs rather than fat, too?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I just watched the documentary by Michael Mosely on how the digestive system works. Apparently it has its own brain to organise how we digest food. One section of the film talks about how bypass surgery impacts messages to the brain telling us we are full and this is why the surgery leads to weight loss.
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...us-world-of-the-human-stomach?suggid=b01kpt6c
I believe that the surgery cits off the part of the stomach where ghrelin is produced. They are the hormones that tell us we are hungry. Switch them off and our desire for food is reduced.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I just watched the documentary by Michael Mosely on how the digestive system works. Apparently it has its own brain to organise how we digest food. One section of the film talks about how bypass surgery impacts messages to the brain telling us we are full and this is why the surgery leads to weight loss.
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...us-world-of-the-human-stomach?suggid=b01kpt6c
@Art Of Flowers
Aye, the brain in the human gut is of equal size to that of a cat, it was a really interesting documentary and the book on gut health is excellent.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is well known.

Reduce fat while eating lots of carbs: -> small benifit
Greatly reduce card regardless of how much fat we eat: very very good
They have just confirmed what we already know that "less fat with your fast food reduces the risk of the fast food a little", but it say nothing about eating the fast food (high carb) in the first place.

Reactions: ickihun

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - what folks don't want to see - a hundred years before Atkins there was William Banting - he self published his 'Letter on corpulence' at about cost to try to get across the low carb message.
There have been numerous trials of various diets done, but the low carb option has never been taken at face value, there have always been assumptions made before setting up the details, or the results have been carefully doctored.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I believe that the surgery cits off the part of the stomach where ghrelin is produced. They are the hormones that tell us we are hungry. Switch them off and our desire for food is reduced.
But some patients gain that hunger back and cheat with high carb food which then causes cravings so overwelming they risk splitting the staples in their egg size stomach. Gulp!!!
Very dangerous. :(

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
But some patients gain that hunger back and cheat with high carb food which then causes cravings so overwelming they risk splitting the staples in their egg size stomach. Gulp!!!
Very dangerous. :(
OMG that makes me wanna double up with sympathy pains. Carbs are evil and having gonethrough all the pain leading up and through surgery it does make me wonder why people do it to themselves