How do we have a low carb Christmas?

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only started lchf this year so probably there have been threads about this before but I can't find any through "search".

How do you all deal with the temptations? Christmas dinner, I guess just leave out the roast potatoes and stuffing, have plenty of turkey and veg. None of the usual "stuff your face with sweets in front of the TV" :( Pudding?

Does everyone stick to their diets or have cheats?

Ideas and suggestions on how other T2, no meds, deal with it please x

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak for me and the missus. If we are invited anywhere I will be VERY wary. We plan to have one Christmas meal out and I will recce the menu beforehand as usual.
At home it's much more fun since I don't fancy mince pies & pud any more and Mrs D can eat till they come out of her ears. Roast anything is easy with meat and some veg shared and some separate. I will make a cake I can eat -- last year I made a huge chocolate cheesecake which was so rich it lasted three months in the freezer.
If you have a family around it may not be so easy so I'll leave that to others.
Christmas is still a wonderful time what with crackers, pressies and the added blessing of (in my case) good health. The best present of all!

Reactions: 29 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had an absolutely fantabulous Xmas last year.

Threw the whole boring turkey and trimmings to the winds, and enjoyed fantastic steaks covered in crumbled blue cheese, with a huge salad, fried onions and had no room for desert. Later in the day we had a cheese board groaning with delicacies.

I eat like a Queen, and Mr B eats like a King on low carb high fat.
It is hard to imagine a more sumptuous, decadent diet.

But if you want to stick to the standard turkey thing, then you just eat masses of meat, veg, sausage, and ditch the potatoes, pies and sickly stuff.

Reactions: 24 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Christmas dread had occurred to me also....wondering how to deal with it and in the main it won't bother me too much as I am not a huge fan of chocolate and cake. My only big 'misses' will be a small pork pie and the odd mince pie and the stuffing to go with the turkey. Not sure if I will abstain completely yet but will certainly make a huge effort to....although I have found a tiny miniscule little pork pie that isn't too high in carbs so that may be my 'sin' for the festive season lol ;)

Reactions: 10 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
It'll also be my first Christmas as T2. Good to start thinking about it ...

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You follow the example of the positive low carbers on the forum, and get out of the "But I can't eat/drink {name your favourite diabetic high carb "poison" here}. mind set. There is actually plenty of lovely low carb food you can cook and eat, if you approach special occasions sensibly. Think about what you can now eat and enjoy instead of what you shouldn't/can't have any longer - this last way is likely to set you up for failure.

I didn't have an issues with either of my two previous diabetic Christmasses: the first year it was only few weeks after I was first diagnosed and I'd just cut out all sweet things completey, was not aware of low carbing, and didn't yet have my meter. I avoided eating either completely - or very much of - what I knew was bad for my diabetes, and apart from missing my Christmas sweeties, didn't have any problems. Last Christmas I had modified my diet and chose to eat some of my favourite and safe low carb foods, so smoked salmon and cream cheese for starters, roast chicken and sprouts, and like @DeejayR, made something deliciously low carb and chocolately and creamy for pud. It's quite possible and easy to have some really enjoyable meals without having to forgo a low carb lifestyle.

If you look back there are several threads about what people did and ate last Christmas, which may help.

Robbity

Reactions: 17 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
ok ... low carb & vegetarian here !!!!:confused:
We have everything as normal for our crimbo dinner .. just less of some things and more of others .. I don't like christmas pud ... so will have cheese .. I also don't like lots of sweets ... (said that for the wife ... i miss eating a big tin of QS in an afternoon) so will have ? cheese .... thing is not to over think things .. if you over indulge on carbs ..you will feel like rubbish the next day .. you have the choice ..
This year will be interesting as we have friends coming for crimbo dinner, and they are not veggie .. but will bring their own dead things :nailbiting: To take their mind off the food we (we = the wife) is planning a wonderland dining room, clearing one of small rooms ..we only have small rooms ! and decorating it lavishly with all things christmas .. 7 ft tree .. lights ..the works ....

Reactions: 13 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Two years ago, I was awaiting blood results to be diagnosed so just ate as normal to fit in with the Christmas dinner plans. I felt terrible all day - clammy, tired and blurry eyed :dead: It aint worth it. A treat should make you feel good. But that's just my experience and opinion.

Last year, I filled my boots with delicious low carb food all day and felt great. Nuts, cheese, veg, booze and low carb chocolate trifle are all things that make me happy so it was a treat :joyful:

@copey399 In my book, it's never too early to start planning and looking about for ideas. I bought a new Christmas dinner platter last week...my family are going mad at me :p

Reactions: 20 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year was my first one on low carb. I had 3 titchy roast spuds instead of the plateful the others had, (I'm not too bad with spuds) I had bacon & a high meat sausage, fillet steak (I don't like turkey but the others had it), with extra veg. I declined any Yorkshire puds. I had strawberries and cream for pud and allowed myself 2 After 8 mints and 1 Celebrations chocolate. For supper I had cheese, pickled onions and water biscuits with butter and some raspberries and cream.

I put my meter away before breakfast until bedtime. I don't care what I was during the day because I was 5.3 on waking and 5.3 on going to bed. Next morning 5.4. There were buckets full of red wine, so that probably helped. :)

Reactions: 28 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Last year and this one too I worked hard to get my BG & weight down, I succeeded, have just had my type 2 review and my numbers were down again to pre diabetic levels. I did this even with an occassional treat (which was the carrot that kept the donkey running.) Last year I had one mince pie as a special treat and the odd chocolate, it did no damage really, I ate lots of veg, meat, cheese, pate` nuts, I enjoyed the day then pulled things in tight again afterwards. My life is different now and I work hard at my diet 364 days a year taking one day off won't kill me.

Reactions: 22 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the British turkey dinner ever becomes boring rather than traditional for me, you may as well bury me.

But, lobster bisque, followed by the Turkey, lots of veg, sweet potato, only one Yorkshire, two or three small(ish) portions of different stuffings, gravy, the full works, admittedly no pudding, (but I never used to), good wines, brandy for the queens speech, and I'm good.

And don't forget the whisky and pork pie at breakfast.

What I don't do is snack all day on chocolate, chocolate orange, sweets, liqueurs, and all the sweet stuff I used to eat.
I may even go mad some times, ad go for a walk, after I wake up after the Queens speech.

Reactions: 11 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
As I recall last year I had everything I normally do. I don't like mince pie or Christmas pud. I had trifle instead. I only had a couple of small roast spuds and had roast sweet potato as well. I filled up on a shedload of veg as well. I had one or two chocolates throughout the day but only a couple and they were worked off by running around like a blue ***** fly and cooking. I actually ate less on the day that I do most other days. No alcohol cos I only drink on holidays. My BS levels were pretty consistent with any other day so not to bad.

I wouldn't change my traditional Christmas dinner too much cos I love it and it's only one day. All I have to do to make it better is hide my husbands Chas and Dave CDs that accompany it!

Reactions: 9 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m dreaming of a low carb Christmas

Not like the ones I used to know

Where the iced cake glistened

The pudding was christened

And I never thought of saying “no”

Counting the carbs with every bite.

May our feasts be tasty and light

And may all our test results be right.

;) :D :D

vicky61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love it,

Hehehe, love it :D, that's the spirit! I will learn this and sing it around the house for Xmas.... it will be my first xmas as a type 2 so probably will struggle... I am more of a pastry person, eg, pork pies, sausage rolls, quiche etc, although I don't eat crusts on pork pie, just the centre, so might be able to have a small piece. those i will miss.... I will have a go at making a low carb quiche....I will have a glass or 2 of white dry wine, and maybe some light lagers, I cant have red as it causes me to go dizzy. we are always too stuffed for pudding so have some later, only this year I will make sure its strawberries and cream for me. :)

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Briiliant :D

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other than;

Bread Sauce
Stuffing
Christmas Pudding
Christmas Cake
Mince Pies
Sausage Rolls
Brazil Nuts coated in Chocolate
Turkish Delight

.....................what has Christmas ever done for us ???

Reactions: 15 people

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
We've eaten gluten free for years, which means basically a low carb meal. Turkey and trimmings, but this year only 1 roastie potato for the diabetic, no stuffing, cranberry sauce with splenda, sprouts, a litle carrot/swede mash and a little gravy. Fruit and cream for pud.
Forget mince pies and cake (coeliac didn't eat them anyway) and forget QS (try cheese perhaps? or nuts?).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's definitely brilliant. and if i ever made and sent a diabetic christmas card, that would be the verse i put inside it!

Maybe I'll send one to my doctor...:p:D

Robbity

PS Did you have to think about it or was it one of those things that pop into your head ready composed? My mum used to do that with limericks, and I sometimes do it if my brain's in the right mood - it will just pop out....

Reactions: 8 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's definitely brilliant. and if i ever made and sent a diabetic christmas card, that would be the verse i put inside it!

Maybe I'll send one to my doctor...:p:D

Robbity

PS Did you have to think about it or was it one of those things that pop into your head ready composed? My mum used to do that with limericks, and I sometimes do it if my brain's in the right mood - it will just pop out....

:D The first line just popped into my head but it took a little while to think up the rest, i.e. trying to keep along the same lines as the original so it would fit the tune. Love the idea of sending it to your doctor :D :D

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Brilliant, well done yay !

This year we are going to my mother's but doing the cooking. OH has booked 23 & 24 off to do cooking/prep but no real ideas yet.

OH and veggie mother will be sharing a Fortnum & Mason gluten free Christmas pudding unused from last year, probably with Green & Black's organic vanilla ice cream.

If my mother's fridge isn't too full, might make a chocolate mousse of 90% cocoa chocolate, eggs and double cream called pots au chocolat.

OH and mother will have Abel & Cole gluten-free mini mince pies. Lindt Lindor chocolates are OK for her IIRC but not sure about OH - the Lindt reindeer Der aren't gluten free :(

I'm going to have a couple of flutes of Taittinger (already bought on offer, saving £11) but other than that no ideas yet.