how do you sleep with a pump?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an mp3 arm holder doofer, also use it for exercise, plus an occasional bit of micopore/durapore tape to tame the tube

I also sleep in the buff. Most likely problem so far is rolling over and lying on the cannula which can be a bit sore

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I let mine roam free and I am the biggest fidgeter in the world when I sleep but I've never pulled it out or anything. Only problem is when I jump out of bed half asleep n somehow forget about it and suffer 'dangly pump' hate the tug of it dropping lol

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I let mine roam free and I am the biggest fidgeter in the world when I sleep but I've never pulled it out or anything. Only problem is when I jump out of bed half asleep n somehow forget about it and suffer 'dangly pump' hate the tug of it dropping lol

That was one of my concerns about a tubed pump :)

JannyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I permanently wear my pump tucked facing down toward my elbow tucked between two layers of flexi tube. My tubing then comes back up between the flexitubing just goes all the way down my body to my legs. I never have to worry about pulling down trousers or knicks, as pump is always tucked away. Works great if I wear nighclothes or if I don't. I never take it off my arm unless having a bath or shower. I just wash the flexi tubing and change it over to clean ones when I change my cartridge. Pump never gets in way at all dring night or day. I have asked accuchek whether they could devise a pump holder for arms, but they didn't come back with a response.
@donnellydogs accu chek have a arm band on their website, it's sold in 2 parts the band and pump case, they are £15 each

JannyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I permanently wear my pump tucked facing down toward my elbow tucked between two layers of flexi tube. My tubing then comes back up between the flexitubing just goes all the way down my body to my legs. I never have to worry about pulling down trousers or knicks, as pump is always tucked away. Works great if I wear nighclothes or if I don't. I never take it off my arm unless having a bath or shower. I just wash the flexi tubing and change it over to clean ones when I change my cartridge. Pump never gets in way at all dring night or day. I have asked accuchek whether they could devise a pump holder for arms, but they didn't come back with a response.
@donnellydogs accu chek have a arm band on their website, it's sold in 2 parts the band and pump case, they are £15 each

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an adapted ipod running holder thing, and strap it onto my thigh, as I don't like to wear Pj's or anything. It stays where it's supposed to all night.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The arm band isn't suitable really as I believe it has the pump sudeways and also I have now found angora beautiful soft elbow warmers that are beautifully soft and comfy to double over and use. They wash perfectly too.

Straps of any shape or form anywhere in my body cause me rashes due to the work I do, the heat and the sweat. So any form of a band anywhere for me is out.

I've worn my pump on my arm for 4 + years now, previously with tubigrip but the angora softness and the lovely way they sit with the pump permanently downward us wonderful. I don't think that the old combo pump is really suitable for having sideways because of the airbubbles. The Insight is brilliant and with the clip it has attached to the actual pump which goes easily over the angora thing it is wonderful, especially as it is a little but smaller too.

iHs

Ì once had the pump on a 60cm tube, got out of bed to use the loo , the pump dangled down my leg and the set pulled out due to the weight of the pump pulling on the set. From that time onwards, I just put pump in a sock and made a hole to thread some chord long enough to make a neckband and went to bed with no more problems. Also, lycra high waist knickers are good to keep pump in safe and sound.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's surprising how robust that tubing is.

I've done the same getting out of the shower, reattach the pump, put it on the bed while I find whatever clothing, forget and turn round only to drag the pump along behind me

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like I am going to have this problem when i start on a pump :/

Does anyone have problems sleeping on their stomach, with the infusion site on their stomach as well ?

I tend to sleep mostly on my sides, and stomach and have been wondering how sleeping on the infusion site will work

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Does anyone have problems sleeping on their stomach, with the infusion site on their stomach as well ?

I tend to sleep mostly on my sides, and stomach and have been wondering how sleeping on the infusion site will work
I don't really notice it to be honest

Toe31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not that this will be any good for the guys (well you never know) but I bought myself a couple of really soft boneless bra's in a size bigger and I tuck my pump in the front of this when I go to bed. I also have no problem sleeping on my front this way.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No problems at all, I can only sleep on my front and do it with ease with my cannula in stomach :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use the Omnipod and tend not to lay on the side where the pod is positioned, so every 3 days I move from one side of the bed to the other......much to my wife's annoyance as she's often in bed before me asleep when I ask her to move over to the other-side:)

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same as you.
If I'm cold and wearing a T shirt I clip it to an edge of that. Otherwise it just works itself out somehow every night

victry77

I HAVE to sleep in my birthday suit otherwise I just get far too hot. First couple of night I had it strapped around my leg in one of those handy little velcro pouches and since then I've just let it roam free at my side and it's been fine.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Generally I engage the pump with my winning sense of humour, buy it a lavish dinner at a swanky restaurant, and then pretend I've lost my house keys in the cab on the way home.

;-)

Reactions: 10 people

LisaMurphy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My son puts his pump in a specially made soft toy dog. He is a real wriggler in bed but he seems to cuddle the dog and does not get too tied up. We got it from Quippe Medical www.quippemedical.com

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So here's the question... If you are underneath the Duvet and generate loads of heat (as do I) does it affect the efficacy of the insulin? If I were to end up lying on the pump (and I could easily do this and sleep through it - I've done it on blood testing meters in the past), would the insulin get too warm in a pump?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So here's the question... If you are underneath the Duvet and generate loads of heat (as do I) does it affect the efficacy of the insulin? If I were to end up lying on the pump (and I could easily do this and sleep through it - I've done it on blood testing meters in the past), would the insulin get too warm in a pump?
No it's fine. I have my pump clipped on the front of my jimjams and that's where it stays. You have to remember that some females have their pumps tucked in their bras.