How does insulin make you feel?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you get hungry?
Do you get meloncoly/ sad or cry for no reason?
Do you get tired?
Do you feel like you're crawling out of your skin?
Do you tingle?
Do you not want to eat so you don't have to take it? ( I do but I like food too much haha)
Do you have days where you pee ALL the time ?

All this even when bs is good?

I suppose it makes sense as we get our insulin in a big jolt rather than following the blood sugar but still very annoying.

I guess the fact it saves our lives is worth it in the end. Every day is different. Some great and some awful. I'm sure other hormones as well as many other things effect each day. Some days are more of a struggle than others but I suppose that was true before insulin

So I guess this is a bit of a rant thread. I know I'm not alone but it feels better when others agree though I don't wish it on anyone it's nice to have company.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry @Kristin251 , none of the above. I can't say that any of these things are feelings I relate to taking insulin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel some of the above Kristin, because I feel that is just life in general at times, but not actually when taking Insulin.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel some of the above Kristin, because I feel that is just life in general at times, but not actually when taking Insulin.
You're probably right and I will try to remember that. Maybe I blame it on insulin because when I first started 2 years ago I felt awful and had tons of roller coastering. Also bringing bs down from 550 was no walk in the park. As time has gone by I have found my diet and doses but it took time of course. Probably just the nature of the beast and just life combined.
Thanks , you made me feel better.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You're probably right and I will try to remember that. Maybe I blame it on insulin because when I first started 2 years ago I felt awful and had tons of roller coastering. Also bringing bs down from 550 was no walk in the park. As time has gone by I have found my diet and doses but it took time of course. Probably just the nature of the beast and just life combined.
Thanks , you made me feel better.

Aawww bless you, after 27 years, diabetes can be a big pain at times. You are probably right, it's just the nature of the beast and life ( and what it throws at us) combined. Take good care Kristin x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I guess the fact it saves our lives is worth it in the end.

That's how to see it @Kristin251, before the discovery of insulin life expectancy was extremely short.

Try not to get too anxious about insulin and insulin doses, if you find yourself thinking about it more and more each day then discuss things with your HCP.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @Kristin251 , none of the above. Or at least certainly not in any direct correlation to taking insulin, although some of them could definitely be applied to my PMT.

Have you thought about seeking assistance from a health psychologist? You are incredibly demanding on yourself and no matter how much we might not want to admit it, diabetes is a massive big deal - a lot of what you describe could be anxiety. A psychologist could give you tools to overcome this & if those are successful you might be able to break the link between the feelings and the insulin, reduce your fear of taking more than half a unit and give you a bit more flexibility to control your diAbetes and live life.

Apologies if I'm being blindly optimistic with absolutely not idea of what the symptoms are actually like for you. But it might be worth considering .

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @Kristin251 , none of the above. Or at least certainly not in any direct correlation to taking insulin, although some of them could definitely be applied to my PMT.

Have you thought about seeking assistance from a health psychologist? You are incredibly demanding on yourself and no matter how much we might not want to admit it, diabetes is a massive big deal - a lot of what you describe could be anxiety. A psychologist could give you tools to overcome this & if those are successful you might be able to break the link between the feelings and the insulin, reduce your fear of taking more than half a unit and give you a bit more flexibility to control your diAbetes and live life.

Apologies if I'm being blindly optimistic with absolutely not idea of what the symptoms are actually like for you. But it might be worth considering .

I know diabetes is a big deal. And it does cause me some anxiety even though I have very good control.
I don't FEAR taking more than a half unit and do it often when we go out and I'm eating a larger meal. The problem I think I had was I was taking 1 unit for the same size meal I eat now and I would go low first then pop up. I kept adding more fat to avoid that and then decided to eat normal fat and try half unit and that worked much better. It was too much fat in the meal and I felt gross. I am steadier now with less of both and feel better.
The weirdest thing is I don't feel a half unit correction but I do feel going lower with food. If I don't eat some avocado I start going low. It's just weird that without food I feel nothing when dropping but with food I feel even the small drop. Unless I'm missing s spike or drop somewhere.
For some reason avocado at all meals seems to bridge the gap from lows and highs. I think it slows the insulin as well as the spike. I tried nit eating it yesterday for lunch and was starving after. I had egg salad with mayo onion celery on a lettuce wrap. The only thing I didn't have was 1/4 avocado. I guess I'll just keep eating the avocado and things should run smooth.

I do believe some may be anxiety as I tend to be a perfectionist but this is now in the forfront of my mind so I will work on it. I do also believe some of it is the fluctuating blood sugar even though it's only small amounts. I feel much better with a slight rise than a slight drop.
I'm still fairly new to this and still learning timing my bolus. Maybe the egg without the avocado I should have taken it later. I usually take it 5 min before. I do gluconeogenisis fast but maybe not that fast. More testing....haha

Than, you all

Reactions: Jo Bodensee