How highly would you recommend eating low carb?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can find a recipe for low carb bread at http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/Recipes.htm
I have actually modified the recipe, I use 140g ground flax and 140g ground almonds. This does put the carbohydrate content marginally higher, but I find that too much flax doesn't agree with me. I find I need to bake for about 40 minutes when I use the flax/almond combination.
Thanks! I might try it with all almonds instead of flax as I don't like the texture that flax gives.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok..!:)

Basic Low Carb Bread ( From Dr. William Daviis " Wheat Belly Cookbook " ( highly recommended, by the way ) . Found on page 225. With my adaptations in brackets .

115g almond flour ( Ground almonds )
55g Chick pea flour ( or coconut flour
33g ground golden flaxseeds ( linseeds - I buy mine from Aldi ready ground, but have also substituted coconut flour for linseeds, while still using the chick pea flour )
1.5 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon ( optional , I don't bother )
.25 tsp sea salt
5 eggs , separated
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp buttermilk ( I use almond milk, but imagine any milk would work )
1 tbsp xylitol or 4 drops liquid stevia ( too sweet for my taste, so use half a teaspoon of stevia sweetners, as it does aid the browning process )

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/ Gas mark 4. Grease a 22x12 cm loaf tin .
In a food processor, combine the dry ingredients ( including sweetner if using dry )by pulsing until well mixed.
Add the egg yolks, milk and melted butter ( and sweetner of using drops ) and pulse until just blended..
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until peaks form, then add to the mixture in the food processor and pulse gently until the egg whites are distributed, but don't use the machine on a constant speed.

Spread the mixture in to the tin and bake for 40 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out and cooling completely on a rack.

I find this makes a very acceptable bread substitute, it makes sandwiches, toast, and is lighter in texture than many of the flaxseed only recipes. According the the original recipe, this makes 10 slices at 7g carb per slice, I calculated mine using cook and count and it came out at 3g per slice using the info on the packets of the dry ingredients I used. It is slightly lower even then if omitting the chick pea flour.

This is the basic bread recipe, but the author suggests adding garlic powder, and sprinkling the top with grated Parmesan before baking, which is truly yum !:)

Chia Seed Porridge : I use the term porridge loosely, as it does have a porridge like texture, but I eat it cold, making up a batch of two breakfasts in advance and refrigerating it overnight. I imagine it can be warmed up though, I'm just plain rushed in the morning ! I can't remember the original place that I found this, I suspect it was on the net, but I've adapted it to suit me.

Half cup ground chia seed
2 cups almond milk ( unsweetened - I use Almond Breeze )
Few drops caramel and/ or vanilla flavouring to taste
I Tbsp Aldi sweetner ( Sucralose )

Put the almond milk in the blender, add the flavouring and sweetener without blending
Add the ground chia seeds, blend !
Pour equally in to two plastic containers, bowls or whatever.
Refrigerate overnight to allow the chia seeds to absorb the milk and expand.

Using the faithful cook and count, this came out as less than 5g per serving. Each serving is roughly 300g and I'm not too precious about being precise, it's done by eye and is very forgiving :)I find it to be very satisfying, and also gives me an energy burst first thing, that believe me, I need ! :D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok..!:)

Basic Low Carb Bread ( From Dr. William Daviis " Wheat Belly Cookbook " ( highly recommended, by the way ) . Found on page 225. With my adaptations in brackets .

115g almond flour ( Ground almonds )
55g Chick pea flour ( or coconut flour
33g ground golden flaxseeds ( linseeds - I buy mine from Aldi ready ground, but have also substituted coconut flour for linseeds, while still using the chick pea flour )
1.5 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon ( optional , I don't bother )
.25 tsp sea salt
5 eggs , separated
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp buttermilk ( I use almond milk, but imagine any milk would work )
1 tbsp xylitol or 4 drops liquid stevia ( too sweet for my taste, so use half a teaspoon of stevia sweetners, as it does aid the browning process )

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/ Gas mark 4. Grease a 22x12 cm loaf tin .
In a food processor, combine the dry ingredients ( including sweetner if using dry )by pulsing until well mixed.
Add the egg yolks, milk and melted butter ( and sweetner of using drops ) and pulse until just blended..
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until peaks form, then add to the mixture in the food processor and pulse gently until the egg whites are distributed, but don't use the machine on a constant speed.

Spread the mixture in to the tin and bake for 40 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out and cooling completely on a rack.

I find this makes a very acceptable bread substitute, it makes sandwiches, toast, and is lighter in texture than many of the flaxseed only recipes. According the the original recipe, this makes 10 slices at 7g carb per slice, I calculated mine using cook and count and it came out at 3g per slice using the info on the packets of the dry ingredients I used. It is slightly lower even then if omitting the chick pea flour.

This is the basic bread recipe, but the author suggests adding garlic powder, and sprinkling the top with grated Parmesan before baking, which is truly yum !:)

Chia Seed Porridge : I use the term porridge loosely, as it does have a porridge like texture, but I eat it cold, making up a batch of two breakfasts in advance and refrigerating it overnight. I imagine it can be warmed up though, I'm just plain rushed in the morning ! I can't remember the original place that I found this, I suspect it was on the net, but I've adapted it to suit me.

Half cup ground chia seed
2 cups almond milk ( unsweetened - I use Almond Breeze )
Few drops caramel and/ or vanilla flavouring to taste
I Tbsp Aldi sweetner ( Sucralose )

Put the almond milk in the blender, add the flavouring and sweetener without blending
Add the ground chia seeds, blend !
Pour equally in to two plastic containers, bowls or whatever.
Refrigerate overnight to allow the chia seeds to absorb the milk and expand.

Using the faithful cook and count, this came out as less than 5g per serving. Each serving is roughly 300g and I'm not too precious about being precise, it's done by eye and is very forgiving :)I find it to be very satisfying, and also gives me an energy burst first thing, that believe me, I need ! :D

Signy
Thank you very very, Signy! Isn't Cook and Count brilliant.

I'm getting cooking when we get home (from hols).