How likely is it for a diabetic to have a c section?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not pregnant, or even going to become pregnant yet, but it just occurred to me, as someone told me recently that diabetic women are much more likely to have to have a caesarean and that worried me a bit. I did used to think I wouldn't be able to have children (when I was little) as I knew a diabetic lady who didn't have children, but I don't think thats true with all people.. Although is it more likely there will be complications with the baby and with the pregnancy with a woman who has diabetes?
Is there a way you can make it less likely? (by doing exercises etc.?) Or is it just chance on the day, or how long you've had diabetes etc whether you do or not..?

Sorry, I just wanted to ask as I've never really thought about this before!

PureSteph5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well when I got diagnosed with diabetes I looked up everything and from what I read you get taken in early and they preform a c section but I don't know really that's all I read. Hope it's some help.

C burns

Some diabetic clinics run a pre pregnancy clinic so they can kp a close eye on ur health and help u tighten ur control. This leads to easier pregnancies n lowers complications

C burns

I'm 30 years old, type 1 diabetic and have 2 children. I had c sections each time but they were both emergency sections so not planned. 1st time round, my waters broke early and after a rubbish labour I had a c section( not diabetes related at all) 2nd time round I had pre eclampsia again unrelated to my diabetes. Hope this helps u. Ps regardless what sum people may say, a c section isn't that bad x

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a baby 18 months ago via emergency c section. All the way through pregnancy I was asking for c section and they said no they like to do natural if possible. I was induced at 37 weeks due to baby suddenly growing fast and got to 9 cm when she got distressed and had to rush me to theatre. Was always told I'd have large babies but she was only 7.8 lbs. I was also seen every 2 weeks all the way through pregnancy and had scans once a month. In a way it's nice as u get to see your baby more and have so much care and help!

SMarks1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 diabetic and have a very healthy 2 year old daughter :) she was born via emergency c section, but like others have said, it wasn't due to diabetic complications. The hospital I was under were going to induce me 2 weeks early to have a natural birth, but I went into labour a couple of days before my inducing date anyway - my advice would be not to worry about these things too much. As long as your sugar levels are as well controlled as you can get them (and mine weren't at the beginning of my pregnancy and fluctuated throughout), there's absolutely no reason at all that as a type 1 diabetic you can't have a healthy pregnancy / baby - doctors keep an extra eye on you as you're high risk which is great as they will be able to see if there are any problems - hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was induced just before 38 weeks and had a normal birth. There is probably a higher rate of c-section as it is usual to be induced early.

I convinced myself that bring inducing was bound to lead to EMCS however my induction went fine.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I was told diabetics have a 2/3 chance of needing a C-section. I had an emergency section with my first child, for my second I thought if there was a 2/3 chance of that happening again I'd just go for an elective section.
I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that they won't let you go into labour naturally, so if you're induced it always makes a section more likely, but I think there are additional factors specific to being a diabetic.
Diabetic pregnancies aren't much fun but they are perfectly do-able to get the end result. You get a lot of medical care throughout and as far as I was concerned, so long as the baby came out ok at the end I didnt' much care how they got him out. I didn't feel like I'd missed out on not giving birth naturally. I was just glad the pregnancy was over and I'd got through it.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had 2 pregnancies and 2 c sections, 1st was an emergency after being induced 6 weeks early ( induction so early is very unlikely to work they told me afterwards) so the 2nd time i opted for a planned section as i knew that i was going to be induced early again and i was worried i would have problems so just went straight for the c section instead

Kerry71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time that I have posted but felt I really needed to say that I have had three very healthy pregnancies whilst being type 1. I first got diagnosed at the age of 21. Had my first child at the age of 27. Was induced at 37 weeks. Second pregnancy at the age of 31 and the third at the age of 35. Both second and third pregnancies went into labour at 38 plus weeks naturally.
Not even a mention of a c section all thanks to the women's in Liverpool. Hope this helps.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had 2 c sections pre-T2 diagnosis for separate medical reasons.

When we are pregnant, the goal is to have a healthy baby, not a text book birth. The birth is just a few hours out of our lives. My advice is to just go with the flow and accept whatever is needed in the best interest of baby and mum. Try not to worry.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the fact that they like you to have baby at 38 weeks so 2 weeks early means induction isn't always successful as babies aren't ready to come. This was the case with me.. They'd said I was having this massive baby and didn't even think I'd get to 36 weeks but at 37 weeks they decided after a growth scan I needed to be induced. It was unsuccessful and ended in a section. My clinic I attend weekly or fortnightly depending how things are going are very for vaginal births but have given me the choice of a planned section or induction again this time. The only problem is after a previous section they will only give you one dose of the pessary that induces you so my main worry is that after 3 lots with my first and it not working then there's not much chance of 1 working. I feel very unsure what to opt for this time but hopefully it will become clearer after some growth scans how baby is managing in there x

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the fact that they like you to have baby at 38 weeks so 2 weeks early means induction isn't always successful as babies aren't ready to come. This was the case with me.. They'd said I was having this massive baby and didn't even think I'd get to 36 weeks but at 37 weeks they decided after a growth scan I needed to be induced. It was unsuccessful and ended in a section. My clinic I attend weekly or fortnightly depending how things are going are very for vaginal births but have given me the choice of a planned section or induction again this time. The only problem is after a previous section they will only give you one dose of the pessary that induces you so my main worry is that after 3 lots with my first and it not working then there's not much chance of 1 working. I feel very unsure what to opt for this time but hopefully it will become clearer after some growth scans how baby is managing in there x

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are two factors. The first is that most hospitals will categorise you as a "high risk" pregnancy, which makes them readier to intervene at the first sign of trouble, whereas they'd be inclined to let a low-risk woman keep trying on her own for longer. Second, if you can't keep your BG down there's a danger the baby will grow too big and need to be got out early, very likely by c-section. But I don't think diabetes is a big problem when it comes to pregnancy: there are many conditions that are far riskier.

Kate