How long did it take for metformin to bring down your bg level?

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been taking 1000mg per day for the past week and am disappointed that my by is still high. I had a reading of 31 today.
Does this mean metformin is not working ? How long should I carry on with it?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What has the gp or dn said?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
From what l understand Metformin won't take it down much, what are you eating food is the key, post your typical days meals and stand by for a lot of ohh uggs and arr because that will sure as eggs are yellow middle things be where your problem lies.

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
I am fairly sure metformin takes 21 to 28 days to start working

Markaj

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin will only ever reduce your sugar by 1 - 2 mmol. The key is a low-carb diet to help as far as it can. You don't say what your diabetes diagnosis is? If you are young and not overweight then Late onset T1 is likely and you will need to move onto insulin at some point. If overweight then the diet is key to get both weight and blood sugar down. A meter reading of 31 is very high and if you feel ill do go to A&E. Have plenty of water and seriously reduce the carbs. Keep monitoring frequently and if necessary get some ketostix etc to check ketones

Reactions: 4 people

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Metformin will only ever reduce your sugar by 1 - 2 mmol. The key is a low-carb diet to help as far as it can. You don't say what your diabetes diagnosis is? If you are young and not overweight then Late onset T1 is likely and you will need to move onto insulin at some point. If overweight then the diet is key to get both weight and blood sugar down. A meter reading of 31 is very high and if you feel ill do go to A&E. Have plenty of water and seriously reduce the carbs. Keep monitoring frequently and if necessary get some ketostix etc to check ketones

So you are saying metformin is totally useless? What is the point in taking it if it only reduces sugar by 1-2mmol? I think you are stating your own experience where clearly it didn't work for you.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unless you are a misdiagnosed Type 1, then metformin is a very good med. It can mean the difference between getting complications and not. Unfortunately it doesn't do everything for you and a change of diet by eating less carbs is the way to go.

I think you are being very harsh on Daibell, you are new here and don't know his history. He gives very good advice.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I may butt in here with a question? Exactly what does Metformin do? How does it work? How does it help T2's. I haven't been prescribed it yet so have no experience, but there may come a time when I have to have it.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you are saying metformin is totally useless? What is the point in taking it if it only reduces sugar by 1-2mmol? I think you are stating your own experience where clearly it didn't work for you.

Daibell is correct in what he's stating, metformin will only reduce you BG by 1 - 2 mmol/L at the most, reducing carbs in your diet and exercise will achieve a far greater reduction. That said if your seeing numbers as high as 31 you really need to go and discuss the situation with your doctor.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daibell is correct in what he's stating, metformin will only reduce you BG by 1 - 2 mmol/L at the most, reducing carbs in your diet and exercise will achieve a far greater reduction. That said if your seeing numbers as high as 31 you really need to go and discuss the situation with your doctor.

That's strange because I have heard reports from people who have said that metformin has brought uncontrollable blood sugar levels under control. What medication is there that is stronger? If what you are saying is true, metformin is a complete waste of time. I find it hard to believe that a medication that has been so popular for such a long time can be useless as you seem to imply.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lol you have to read the replies mate, no one is suggesting met is useless :)

It is a brilliant drug but as an aid to other lifestyle changes

Met alone, without other changes etc won't solve a reading this high

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Well you can always tell the dr you are not prepared to change your life style and you want to go straight onto insulin instead of putting in the effort and who knows never needing.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No this is not correct or true. Metformin at the correct dosage bought my bg down from these high readings to an average now of 7 - 7.5.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are eating the foods that you mention in another post and are only taking metformin you are a very rare person
CAROL

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are eating the foods that you mention in another post and are only taking metformin you are a very rare person
CAROL
I am not eating a carefully controlled diet at all. I know I should probably try and do better with diet and exercise but at the moment I honestly have not changed anything and have had recent relatively low readings. (previously to having my metformin dose increased to 850 x 2 daily my bg was off the scale at 31+) It has been around 10 days or so since I increased the dose and my bg has dropped dramatically - with no changes to my diet (except I'm probably eating less as the metformin has cut my appetite a little bit) Obviously, I need to check over the next few days to make sure that my bg levels remain low.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
You will probably find it varys with each person. Anything on the blurb that comes with it?

luci44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on metformin and find it quiet satisfactory ,you will need to take it as often as your gp prescribed and for as long as it was prescribed ,it can take up to 28 days too see maximum results as previous poster pointed out .