How long does it take to feel better

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Marzeater, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Marzeater

Marzeater Member

after a hypo?

Yesterday I went too low while I was out shopping, don't know how low but it must be the lowest I've ever been and I didn't have a test meter with me.
    My wife took me into Mc D's for what just about counts as food.
    1 hour later and still feeling crap I visited a phamracy where they done a bg test and result was 9. Anyway my question is how long should it take to start feeling normal again?
  2. cugila

cugila Well-Known Member

It really is all down to the individual. I usually find that I feel much better after about half an hour, providing I use the method below to counter a hypo.

The first thing is the remedy should have been fast acting carbs NOT a McD. You should always carry some Glucotabs with you and take two or three, equivalant to around 12g carbs. You could have also instead had a sugary drink, Coke, Fanta, Lucozade such like. Then after around 15-20 mins test your blood and if the level was better have a 'small' carby snack or some biscuits....just enough to stabilize the levels.

The McD probably 'spiked' your levels in that first hour, that's what bread can do to many people. Not surprisingly, if you went from very low...to very high in a short space of time - you will feel crap as they say. I certainly do. It is a fine balancing act to get it right and avoid the 'rollercoaster.'
  3. noblehead

noblehead Forum Regular

Marzeater,

Depends really, there are many factors involved. Depends how low you go, how fast you acted, how many carbs to correct hypo, and most importantly the individuals ability to recover. I seem to take longer to recover than I did say 10 years ago, don't really know why, but I just do.

Should you be concerned with the treatment/prevention of hypo's, it may be worth having a word with your DSN or your diabetes consultant.

Regards

Nigel
  4. totsy

totsy Well-Known Member

as already said, i think it is different with each person and also different with each hypo,
    ive found it depends what im doing at the time,
    i had a 1.7 in asda a few wks ago and had to sit down, but within 10 mins of taking glucotabs i was fine to carry on shopping, saying that ive also had a 2.4 where i felt crappy for over an hr, if u dont overtreat the hypo i find i recover quicker :D
    hope u soon feel well soon
  5. hanadr

hanadr Well-Known Member

As the others have said,recovery time is individual. My T1 husband is usually OK after half an hour and a glug of Lucozade( which he ALWAYS carries in his backpack) My T1 cousin uses Glucotabs and reckons that feeling better always takes her half an hour, but her husband expects an instant response.
    AAs Cugila has said, it is better if you use glucotabs and carry your meter, then you can avoid the "roller coaster", which will make you feel worse.
    Hana
  6. Marzeater

Marzeater Member

Thanks everyone.

I'm sure that gliclazide isn't doing me any favours.
  7. cugila

cugila Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. Gliclazide is doing ME loads of favours at the moment, keeping my errant Bg levels down. Probably one of the more effective anti-diabetic drugs. Don't believe all the 'pancreas burn out' stories. The source for them isn't very reliable ....... :wink: