How long does it take to get blood sugars down by change in diet?

Jacfburcham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well doing well have bloods down to 7 all day for two days. Also now lost 10kg it will be four weeks since I was diagnosed with t2. Hopefully nurse will not recommend putting me on medication. I also did first 50 min aqua fit class this week.

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So do you have any good ideas where I can find out if certain food is ok i.e peppers, onions and apples. Where did you get your monitor from ? Just trying to plan my first week and went to M&S and came out a bit blinded. Was even questioning the packed of stir fry veg and geting very confused. Thanks Jo

You can get a cheap monitor and replacement strips from Home Health UK - it's called a Code Free and is worth doing.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo, I know how you feel its all two much for the first few weeks, Straight away I went on the diabeties.co.uk website and read all about what diabeties type 2 is and how it could be managed, I my case this is what is working for me:

Breakfast - high protein, eggs, bacon, with muchrooms and tomtoes (combinations) I am luck I cure my own bacon and salmon so can control the salt and fat levels as well as sugar for curing.

Lunch - Veg soup (Carrots and parsnips and other roots ) no potatoes. Have used wheat free noodles (no carbs) these are great. also work great with stir frys for evening meals.

Dinner - Meat and Veg no potatoes. Had a small amount of brown basmatie rice and also wheat free pasta from ASDA.

Coffee - minimal moved over to Green Tea with lemon and water.

No fruit juice, no bread, rice, cake, biscuits, crakers, sweets, chocolate.

PS - Go myself a monitor so I can track what my blood is doing, measure it first thing in the morning, before lunch so 3 hours after breakfast. Before dinner and last thing at night.

Hi.
Just wanted to mention here that other than testing FBG the way you're testing throughout the day isnt really telling you what you really need to know.

If you test before you eat, then at one and two hours post meal, you will be able to see EXACTLY what your food choices are doing to your bg and will then really see a way to plan food around your own body's reaction to what foods.

I know from personal experience how shocking some of those spikes can be - for example porridge is worse for me than a cupcake!

I personally cannot eat soups containing any root veg without it causing a spike. It's annoying but really worth doing xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacfburcham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks have started to do this, most of my food at the moment does not give a spike. It's staying between 6.4 and 7 for the last few days. Only one which is slightly higher is morning is 8 after breakfast goes down and all day.

Ashleyw45

Hi I’ve recently been diagnosed as having type 2. When I was rushed in to hospital for appendicitis’s. I have lost a stone and 1/2 in 3 weeks, I’ve been put on metforman and I’ve cut our sugars and reduced carbs dramatically but my levels are still between 9 and 11.
When should I test my blood ? I have had very
Little advise from anyone and I’m feeling confused as to why my levels are still so high?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve recently been diagnosed as having type 2. When I was rushed in to hospital for appendicitis’s. I have lost a stone and 1/2 in 3 weeks, I’ve been put on metforman and I’ve cut our sugars and reduced carbs dramatically but my levels are still between 9 and 11.
When should I test my blood ? I have had very
Little advise from anyone and I’m feeling confused as to why my levels are still so high?
Hi Ashley
I'll suggest one of the Mods might like to move your post to its own thread as you have replied to one that is 3 years old.
@Rachox @Brunneria @Pipp could you guys help?

Reactions: Pipp