How long have you been prediabetic?

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering how long prediabetics can stave off the big D. Would like to hear some success stories and also tips and tricks to help the rest of us. I'm a strong believer in Lchf dieting although I'm not very low carb and I don't count them as such, I just cut out bread, pasta, flour, potatoes, rice, sugar. Sometimes get plagued with anxiety so if anyone is the same, would appreciate any advice! Many thanks

rexel

I am doing same very little bread no potatoes rice sugar pasta my reading was 48 last November checked again april reading 44 have lost 14 lb in weight to date next check for bs in September hopeing for reading of 40

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my first diagnosis of prediabetes when I quit smoking the first time (1991) and gained around 20 kgs - the GP didn't really make any big deal over it and when I went back to smoking and lost the weight, my BG returned to normal. There was never any problem until I quit smoking again in 2004 and again gained 20kgs and was diagnosed as prediabetic again. I guess it was a case of third time lucky - the same thing happened again after I quit in 2010, gained weight again and was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2012. Despite losing the weight again this time, no luck in getting back to normal BG. Since menopause I'm also a typical apple shape. Despite losing weight, I can't seem to get my waistline below the recommended 80cms so that probably hasn't helped matters.

So my advice to anyone diagnosed is to get your weight under control and then keep it under control - yoyo dieting is definitely not a good thing for insulin resistance.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering how long prediabetics can stave off the big D.

I wasn't diagnosed until 2009 but earlier encounters with the medical profession in 1980, 1990 and 2001 all showed mild concern about my readings. My signature shows the current numbers.

Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I was wondering how long prediabetics can stave off the big D. Would like to hear some success stories and also tips and tricks to help the rest of us. I'm a strong believer in Lchf dieting although I'm not very low carb and I don't count them as such, I just cut out bread, pasta, flour, potatoes, rice, sugar. Sometimes get plagued with anxiety so if anyone is the same, would appreciate any advice! Many thanks

I remember reading that one member of this forum has been prediabetic for 20 years. While I consider that an amazing achievement, a few years certainly are within easy reach if you catch your prediabetes early enough and change your diet to accommodate foods that spike your blood.

I hope your anxiety can be eased. Stress raises your blood sugar, so I believe, and if you can reduce it the benefits should show up on your daily meter readings.

Are you checking your fasting BS every day and keep a record? It is a good way to have a monthly average and see any changes (positive or negative).

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my case it was noted that my sugar levels were elevated approx. 15 years ago. As I have always been on blood pressure medication I have an annual kidney function test so they have also checked BG levels each year.

It is only 2 months ago that GP decided I had arrived. Over that 15 years I have eaten healthily but with plenty of carbs, so it has been a slow old journey.

jim

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, it's always encouraging to read your stories and experiences. My hba1c was 51 last time so I'm hoping for better readings the next time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had blood glucose control issues for, er... 44 years (since I was 3)
Discovered that it was reactive hypoglycaemia (without any help from doctor) at 18 years old, and started being 'carb aware' at that point.
Gradually ate less sugar, then less wheat, then less potato, etc. till I was low carb except for the occasional massive, out of control carb binge - invariably brought on by a hypo.
By age 30ish my BG was tested for the first time and I was told 'pre-diabetic'
At 45 the hypos got rarer, so I bought my own BG meter, and was borderline diabetic - so clamped down on the low carbing.
Now, at 47, still no official diagnosis of diabetes, because the low carbing screws the test results.

I'm convinced that if I hadn't adjusted my diet way back in the 80s, I would have been diabetic by 25.

Can't praise low carbing enough!

Edited to add: I am also the recipient of a couple of other medical conditions (PCOS and prolactinoma of the pituitary gland) which pre-dispose me to insulin resistence and I'm on medication that increases insulin resistence. So the decks have been rather stacked against me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had blood glucose control issues for, er... 44 years (since I was 3)
Discovered that it was reactive hypoglycaemia (without any help from doctor) at 18 years old, and started being 'carb aware' at that point.
Gradually ate less sugar, then less wheat, then less potato, etc. till I was low carb except for the occasional massive, out of control carb binge - invariably brought on by a hypo.
By age 30ish my BG was tested for the first time and I was told 'pre-diabetic'
At 45 the hypos got rarer, so I bought my own BG meter, and was borderline diabetic - so clamped down on the low carbing.
Now, at 47, still no official diagnosis of diabetes, because the low carbing screws the test results.

I'm convinced that if I hadn't adjusted my diet way back in the 80s, I would have been diabetic by 25.
Can't praise low carbing enough!
Seems like Dr Briffa agrees with you - he quotes the results of a study into progression of prediabetes to Type 2 with LC: http://www.drbriffa.com/2014/07/04/...potential-to-protect-against-type-2-diabetes/

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a tough question because no one told me I was pre-diabetic, I worked it out for myself eventually. I did try to help myself for many years before being diagnosed with type 2, but eventually failed at this. Looking back at old diaries and noting my frustration with not being able to lose weight, I would say I was pre-diabetic for 11 years at least.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
As Zand said above, doctors don't always diagnose prediabetics. Unless you've got T2, they don't seem to be very interesting (apart from the usual 'Lose weight' suggestions).

Because of strong family history of diabetes I started to get myself checked once a year since 2001 and kept a record. Over the years it slowly went up (and down, then up again). In 2012 my HBA1c test was 44. Was told it was 'a little high, but still normal'. I phoned the GP and pressed him for further explanation and asked him specifically if I was prediabetic. He said Yes. If I had not phoned, he would not have told me. On the results from the blood test was mentioned 'no action necessary'.

As I had only been tested once a year until then with a normal blood test (not HBA1c) it is difficult to know how long I may have had it. I measured 6.0 in 2011....

A

AnnieC

It really depends on the circumstances ie other medical conditions and medication etc. People are also known to be more predisposed to diabetes if they have close relatives with it, take steroids over a long period and it is said but not proved yet if you take statins.. I do take statins but have only been taking them for 3 years
I was found to have a glucose intolerance 9 years ago I was taking blood pressure tablets and like you have a yearly blood test for kidneys and liver function etc the first one showed my BG was raised so I had the GTT . Last years test showed I was very borderline with blood tests two weeks apart of levels 6.9 and 6.8. I joined this forum and started to do a moderate carb diet cutting out the starchy ones
I have never been overweight and if I go to low with the carbs I loose more weight than I need to so I have to be careful...My GP was not happy when I lost nearly a stone in weight. I will have to see what this years fasting blood test shows in October GP said levels of 7 or over and it will be T2

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
As Zand said above, doctors don't always diagnose prediabetics. Unless you've got T2, they don't seem to be very interesting (apart from the usual 'Lose weight' suggestions).

Because of strong family history of diabetes I started to get myself checked once a year since 2001 and kept a record. Over the years it slowly went up (and down, then up again). In 2012 my HBA1c test was 44. Was told it was 'a little high, but still normal'. I phoned the GP and pressed him for further explanation and asked him specifically if I was prediabetic. He said Yes. If I had not phoned, he would not have told me. On the results from the blood test was mentioned 'no action necessary'.

As I had only been tested once a year until then with a normal blood test (not HBA1c) it is difficult to know how long I may have had it. I measured 6.0 in 2011....
I haven't been officially diagnosed prediabetic - about 6 weeks ago I told my practice nurse that I had been feeling tired and I needed the toilet more than normal. She advised me to get a meter and my first FBG result was 8.6! I had a blood test done which checked my fasting glucose and HbA1c and the result was 43. Funnily enough, the FBG was 5.5 which was contrary to the readings I'd been getting with my own meter (anything between 3.0 and 8.6!). She said that the levels weren't high enough for me to be diagnosed Type 2 (like my mum) but when I showed her my own meter readings she did mention IFG.

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm Kathryn. I have type 1 diabetes, but understand many people have pre diabetes which could lead to type 2.

I'm also a broadcast journalism trainee - and due to my own recent diagnosis I've decided to do my video project based on the study which found a third of UK adults now have pre diabetes.

Would anyone on here be interested in being involved? Maybe its had an effect on your life, positive or negative. Have you managed to turn your life around, change your diet and exercise?

The video will not be on TV - its for assessment purposes as a journalistic feature, and will hopefully advise others with pre diabetes. It would involve a short interview - and I can travel to you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply on here or email [email protected]

Thanks
Kathryn

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I'm Kathryn. I have type 1 diabetes, but understand many people have pre diabetes which could lead to type 2.

I'm also a broadcast journalism trainee - and due to my own recent diagnosis I've decided to do my video project based on the study which found a third of UK adults now have pre diabetes.

Would anyone on here be interested in being involved? Maybe its had an effect on your life, positive or negative. Have you managed to turn your life around, change your diet and exercise?

The video will not be on TV - its for assessment purposes as a journalistic feature, and will hopefully advise others with pre diabetes. It would involve a short interview - and I can travel to you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply on here or email [email protected]

Thanks
Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

You might want to ask a moderator for the approved way for promoting research projects, or just start a thread of your own.

You may get lots of takers, but hijacking this thread is probably not the best way to find them...

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brunneria

I have already been in contact with the press team at diabetes uk and they suggested using the forum to attempt to find people. Sorry about using this thread - I now have another one and will be mentioning it in a blog on the website. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Kathryn

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kathryn321 No worries! It's just that there are posts like yours that pop up a few times a week, and you'll get a much better response if it has its own thread.

Mind you, I shouldn't criticise anyone for thread hijacking - I'm the worst culprit on here, except that I usually do it with pointless frivolity!

And I'll stop now, before I do it again... :)

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, it's always encouraging to read your stories and experiences. My hba1c was 51 last time so I'm hoping for better readings the next time.

I thought that an HBa1c of 51 was in fact diabetic ! unless they have moved the goal posts again!