How long to reduce HbA1c results?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in Aug with HbA1c of 147. Taken exactly 12 weeks later and told result today was 70. Obviously I'm pleased it's heading down, but that's still high.

How long does it normally take a new T1 to get a result <50?

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
6 months
A hba1c is an average of your control of the past 6 month period or that is what my DSN and consultant have drummed into me for the past 9 year

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HbA1C is a measurement of glycated heamoglobin in the blood. As the blood in our bodies is renewed over an 8 to 12 week period your HbA1C measurement is only a measurement relevant to the previous 12 weeks maximum.
Asking how long it takes to get HbA1C to a certain level is a bit like asking the length of a piece of string.
More importantly is that you are doing really good and if you continue this way you'll have a very good HbA1C before to
long.
6 months since diagnosis is no time at all. You're doing great by the sounds of it.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I wasn't sure when I got told the result whether I was doing a good or bad job! Obviously I had been pretty ill when diagnosed, but I wasn't sure whether 12 weeks of insulin should mean a level closer to normal.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Rigorous control? Another three months minimum

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I was told 3 months and the last week has a lot more influence on the result than 12 weeks ago. If you have had perfect control over the last 2 months and poor for the -3 month your results will be pretty impressive. If you have had perfect control for the last week and poor for the previous 11 then your results won't be great.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Circuspony . HbA1C is not just about insulin. Diabetes is not just about insulin. There are other things to consider when aiming for a lower HbA1C. Food and exercise will play a great part in your results.
Personally I feel that living with diabetes needs to be fun and doable
If trying to get an HbA1C below 50 causes you to be totally unhappy and frustrated whereas achieving 53 is easy, comfortable and lets you be a happy bunny then for me personally I would go for the 53. Get to 53 and hitting 50 will be far easier with a little bit of effort and not burning yourself out.
Being diabetic is not a death sentence but it will feel like one if you let it.
Please don't rush with your diabetes, carry on doing what you are doing now and chill out.
I wager your next HbA1C ' s will confirm that all is good.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Jax73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed in Aug with HbA1c of 147. Taken exactly 12 weeks later and told result today was 70. Obviously I'm pleased it's heading down, but that's still high.

How long does it normally take a new T1 to get a result <50?
I know your post is quite old but could I please ask how you reduced your HbA1C?
Thank you

Reactions: Serena51

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I know your post is quite old but could I please ask how you reduced your HbA1C?
Thank you

Hi Jax - can you explain what medication you are on as this is a type 1 thread and I note your profile only states type 2 ?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you
Insulin is the answer to that! I had it down to 48 at one point but most recent is 54 because my honeymoon period is ending (2 c-peptide tests a year apart have shown that)

Are you T1?