How long until I’m told if I’m type 1 or 2?

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was told I was diabetic a few weeks ago now, given a meter to take my blood readings four times a day. The dr at the hospital initially though type 1 because I’ve lost weight (became underweight but I’d been on the heartbreak diet after I split with my partner before christmas -great!)
I’ve always been very slim with a high metabolism and struggled to keep weight on, now and I’m struggling to put it back on (currently eating cheese, avocados, nuts, seeds, humus etc as snacks)
Sorry, waffling. The dr checked bloods and keotones and gave my gliclazide which after two weeks doesn’t seem to be lowering my readings very much? My keotones were all normal. I’m now on the maximum dosage and seem to be between 9 and just under 13 (my morning reading is actually worse than before the meds?)
I have terrible medical anxiety so this is all becoming really stressful, I’m waiting for cbt to help deal with that too. I can handle the blood now without almost passing out but the readings make me super anxious - trying meditation and breathing exercises.
Should I find out soon if they think I’m type 1 or 2?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. It’s goi g to be hard to give you too much direction until you know what type you are. You’ve given a lot of info but a few more points will help us help you. What initiated your diagnosis? Although the media image of type 2 is fat not all are. There are slim type 2’s out there. Whichever type you turn out to be it’s good that ketones are ok as if they are high on a “normal” diet it can be the start of DKA which can be very serious. Do you know what your test results are? Fasting glucose or Hb1ac? Do you know what tests they have done to help diagnose? I am assuming GAD antibodies (if positive type 1, if negative it could be either) and c peptide to assess what level of insulin production you have. Are they planning to do more tests yet? I’ve not had those so I’m afraid I can’t say how long they take.

If you turn out to be type 2 then diet will be the most important thing. Restricting carbs of all types and colours can make a massive difference. In the meantime try and breathe. There are hundreds and thousands of days and years experience between members here. Many, if not most, adjust to new normals once the shock of diagnosis wears off. Some even feel much better for it. Some will have experienced the difficulties you may face and have help and support to offer.

Reactions: lessci

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JMoli and welcome to a big and diverse club of diabetics!
It's hard to guess if you are T2 or T1, but at present your doctor appears to be treating you as T2 with gliclazide as I was also treated for almost three years. I was a very underweight diabetic.
It does take gliclazide and diet a while to have a significant impact, so don't become too anxious about your levels. I'm guessing, and it's only a guess, that your doctor will have ordered a c-peptide test, but these can take a while to assess. My first one took two weeks though my most recent one only took a couple of days as they were done at different labs.
One thing that will almost certainly be having a significant impact on your glucose levels is the stress you are under and if can can reduce that your glucose level will also fall.
Wishing you the best of luck and smooth progress.
Dave

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JMoli and welcome to a big and diverse club of diabetics!
It's hard to guess if you are T2 or T1, but at present your doctor appears to be treating you as T2 with gliclazide as I was also treated for almost three years. I was a very underweight diabetic.
It does take gliclazide and diet a while to have a significant impact, so don't become too anxious about your levels. I'm guessing, and it's only a guess, that your doctor will have ordered a c-peptide test, but these can take a while to assess. My first one took two weeks though my most recent one only took a couple of days as they were done at different labs.
One thing that will almost certainly be having a significant impact on your glucose levels is the stress you are under and if can can reduce that your glucose level will also fall.
Wishing you the best of luck and smooth progress.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I really don’t know what he was testing for but took away four tubes of blood ...I was trying not to hyperventilate through the first meeting so it went by in a blur. That was over two weeks ago now. That’s a relief to know it can take time, I’ve been an absolute mess with anxiety. I’ve always been one of those people who can’t even take a a plaster off or look at a bruise and can talk myself into any and all medical conditions. The first week of readings I was having palpitations and my 12 year old daughter ended up helping me, awful, so this whole experience is torture. Thanks so much for replying

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. It’s goi g to be hard to give you too much direction until you know what type you are. You’ve given a lot of info but a few more points will help us help you. What initiated your diagnosis? Although the media image of type 2 is fat not all are. There are slim type 2’s out there. Whichever type you turn out to be it’s good that ketones are ok as if they are high on a “normal” diet it can be the start of DKA which can be very serious. Do you know what your test results are? Fasting glucose or Hb1ac? Do you know what tests they have done to help diagnose? I am assuming GAD antibodies (if positive type 1, if negative it could be either) and c peptide to assess what level of insulin production you have. Are they planning to do more tests yet? I’ve not had those so I’m afraid I can’t say how long they take.

If you turn out to be type 2 then diet will be the most important thing. Restricting carbs of all types and colours can make a massive difference. In the meantime try and breathe. There are hundreds and thousands of days and years experience between members here. Many, if not most, adjust to new normals once the shock of diagnosis wears off. Some even feel much better for it. Some will have experienced the difficulties you may face and have help and support to offer.

Thanks for replying, it’s very kind of you. I don’t know what tests are being done (I was too hysterical to ask) I initially went to the dr as I’d had stomach issues, like a really awful IBS flare up, after months of heavy stress in my life - the dr did a urine test and found sugar and then bloods confirmed it. A total shock as had none of the symptoms of diabetes - no thirst, tiredness etc. No family history....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying, it’s very kind of you. I don’t know what tests are being done (I was too hysterical to ask) I initially went to the dr as I’d had stomach issues, like a really awful IBS flare up, after months of heavy stress in my life - the dr did a urine test and found sugar and then bloods confirmed it. A total shock as had none of the symptoms of diabetes - no thirst, tiredness etc. No family history....
Other than tired, which had gone on for years, if not decades, I had no symptoms. Lots don’t.

Your surgery should provide the results of all tests done if you ask. You may have to wait a bit for a dr to sign off on it but it is your right. Always ask for actual numbers, units and ranges - ideally in a printout. Even if you don’t understand it we can help.

oh and rereading your firs post morning readings are typically the highest. It can take. On this for them to come into line and are usually the last one to do so. It’s called dawn phenomenon.

For now one step in front of the other. Nothing will happen overnight. Get all your results back and come back here and someone will be able to help steer you a smoother path. Lots have done it before you and lots want to help you do it with the minimum of stress and worry. It will get easier. It will become a new normal, whatever that might be.

Reactions: JMoli

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking about your reaction to needles @JMoli made me realise how lucky I am to live out in the sticks and attend a small rural practise. When I go for test my wife usually comes too and we have a laugh and great chat with the nurse while she's drawing the red stuff :)
Once upon a pre-diabetes time I couldn't stand the thought of needles, but now they don't bother me at all, which is just as well as now I'm insulin dependent I inject over 2400 times a year.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s a lot of needles @miahara - I’ll need to have a lie down just thinking about that!! Off to do my bedtime reading now, at least don’t have the keotone readings anymore as had to have blood literally dripping off my finger to get a result (I feel ill thinking about that) Thanks again!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was told I was diabetic a few weeks ago now, given a meter to take my blood readings four times a day. The dr at the hospital initially though type 1 because I’ve lost weight (became underweight but I’d been on the heartbreak diet after I split with my partner before christmas -great!)
I’ve always been very slim with a high metabolism and struggled to keep weight on, now and I’m struggling to put it back on (currently eating cheese, avocados, nuts, seeds, humus etc as snacks)
Sorry, waffling. The dr checked bloods and keotones and gave my gliclazide which after two weeks doesn’t seem to be lowering my readings very much? My keotones were all normal. I’m now on the maximum dosage and seem to be between 9 and just under 13 (my morning reading is actually worse than before the meds?)
I have terrible medical anxiety so this is all becoming really stressful, I’m waiting for cbt to help deal with that too. I can handle the blood now without almost passing out but the readings make me super anxious - trying meditation and breathing exercises.

JMoli - as others have said, it can take a while for the results to come back, if you have had the antibodies andC-Peptide tests.

In the meantime, don't panic. Easy to say, but less easy to do, but it helps nothing, and could well be pushing your numbers a bit. Stress can do that.

In the meantime, it sounds like your diet is pretty decent.

I'm a slight old bird, and find if I lose weight it can take an irritating amount of time and effort to get it back on again. At times when I need to gain a bit, I tend to firstly eat a bit more of everything, so just up the portions a bit, then I'll add a bit more fat, maybe cheese, or nuts, or pork scratchings (which I love!). Doing that it creeps (and I mean creeps) back on, albeit slowly.

Adding carbs could make the weight gain a bit faster, but could likely increase your blood numbers, so a tricky balancing act there.

Do you have check-points arranged with your medical team to see how you're doing? Many folks find Gliclazide "inspires" weight gain, whether wanted or more usually not, so I can see why they might have you on that, for that reason alone. It does however ask your pancreas to work harder to produce more insulin to deal with the blood sugars. If you transpire to be a T1, that might be putting things under a bit more pressure than you want.

You're in a tricky middle ground, no-mans land at the moment. Stay close to your team, and if those mds aren't bringing down the numbers, or they are rising further, there are lots of options they might try for you.

Good luck with it all. Sounds like you've had a really tough time of late, but there I see a new normal out there, even if it's not quite clear yet exactly what that might be.

Stick with us.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for replying, it does feel like a no-mans land just now. I’ve read a bit about LADA and wondering about that now too...I guess I just have to keep on going and keep up with high healthy fats snacks to put on the pounds and wait for the results. The nurses at the diabetic clinic ask me to phone every few days with my readings (they kept nudging up my dose until it’s now the maximum as of Friday) so I feel they are keeping an eye on me. I’ve accepted I have diabetes but am having so many wobbles along the way, horrible self-pitying moments and lots of anxiety. Now everyday meals with pasta and rice look complicated and terrifying! I know I have to eat ‘normally’ as I await results, so can’t go low carb as others seem to do though.

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed on new years Eve, sent me hospital due to ketones. They did lots of tests and in one instance took ten vials of blood from me. Diabetic nurse came and had a chat, they told me they were going to treat me as type 1 as I shown traits of type 1 and 2, so I left hospital testing bloods 4 times a day and insulin 4 times a day. I was also told to call the diabetic centre weekly with my sugar levels. I was told is find out in a week from when they did the tests but didn't hear a thing so when I called yesterday, I asked and they told me there was no trace of autoimmune antibodies in the results so it's likely I have t2.

I have an appt on Feb 5th and will find out if they will keep me on insulin or start me on tablets.

It is a lot to process and take in, especially with Anxiety and depression (which I have) but there's nothing I can change except my diet and activity level. If you also have to call with your sugar levels, ask them what type you are and they should have results if it was a few weeks ago.

All the best.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @MancboyChris - sounds like we got the news around the same time. Are you still testing 4 times a day too? How are you finding the insulin? I’ve been asking the nurses but they keep telling me the results aren’t back yet, I’ve to phone again today though so maybe I’ll find out soon. Are you finding the change in thinking about food tough? I’ve no idea what kind of reading I’ll get after a few potatoes and pasta seems dangerous!!! I understand the anxiety, it’s really tough going. It sounds like you’ll know soon though what plan to take next (tablets v insulin)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it took 4 weeks for the blood test for antibodies to come back when they did mine - so don't panic yet.

If you are T2 and you aren't low carb then that will be why those blood results are higher than ideal. Once you have those antibody results you can reduce carbs if you are T2
Hang on in there!

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Circuspony - 4 weeks does seem like a lifetime. I’ve cut back on carbs a wee bit, for some unknown reason I’ve decided I can eat bread without anxiety (Bergen seeded) but have avoided pasta like it’s my arch enemy

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Dependent on the types of tests being carried out by your doctor, it should take no longer than a week or two to determine whether you are actually a type 1 diabetic or a type 2 diabetic. The following types of test MAY be used by your doctor to determine this:

> C-Peptide test. This test measures how much C-peptide is in your blood. Because levels of this peptide generally match insulin levels in the body, the test can indicate how much insulin your body is producing. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin usually point to type 1 diabetes.

> Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD). This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin.

> Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA). In addition to attacking beta cells, the immune system in people with type 1 diabetes also targets insulin. This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.

> Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A). This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common type 1 antibody tests performed at endocrinology offices.

> Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA). Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that sense blood glucose levels and dole out insulin accordingly. This test looks at the reaction between islet cell antibodies from humans and a variety of islet cell proteins (including beta cells) from an animal pancreas. If your antibodies react with the animal islet cells, you have a marker for type 1. This is the oldest type 1 antibody test, and is not used as frequently today.

> Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab). This is the newest type 1 test, this looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells. This test may not be as readily available.

The above information was from The Healthy Living Magazine http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/sep-oct/tests-to-determine-diabetes.html

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick
x x x x
x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, at the 'x's'. It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for the past 40-odd years.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @micksmixxx - that’s really informative. I phoned yesterday to ask again but the dr that was dealing with me is on holiday so still no results but the nurse said she would bring me up at the Friday meeting and ask a dr to look at my results. That will be 3 weeks since they took my blood (lots of it by the look of it!) I’m assuming they kept me on gliclazide only because I was underweight and have bouts of IBS. Thanks again, I love your logo :)

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @micksmixxx - that’s really informative. I phoned yesterday to ask again but the dr that was dealing with me is on holiday so still no results but the nurse said she would bring me up at the Friday meeting and ask a dr to look at my results. That will be 3 weeks since they took my blood (lots of it by the look of it!) I’m assuming they kept me on gliclazide only because I was underweight and have bouts of IBS. Thanks again, I love your logo :)

Bless you, JMoli.

Unfortunately, ma'am, my 'logo' doesn't actually show correctly. It's meant to resemble the circles from the Olympic flag. i.e. with the 3 circles above, and 2 below, interlinked.

Hopefully, my new-found friend, the nurse WILL remember to bring you up when she speaks with another doctor at the Friday meeting and s/he will be good enough to look into it.

Gliclazide, by the way, belongs to the sulfonylurea class of insulin secretagogues, which act by stimulating β cells of the pancreas to release insulin. The idea with that type of medication is that it will 'force' your muscles to accept more of the glucose that's circulating in your bloodstream and use it to convert it to energy. (Insulin acts as a sort of 'key' to unlock the muscles so that more glucose can enter them.)

Best of luck in finding out tomorrow.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick
x x x x
x x x

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I found out I’m late onset type 1.
I feel a bit weepy but it’s not a complete shock having read about it, and the gliclazide wasn’t doing much if anything

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I found out I’m late onset type 1.
I feel a bit weepy but it’s not a complete shock having read about it, and the gliclazide wasn’t doing much if anything

Oh, JMoli, I'm sure that was a real shock - even if you thought it was coming.

At least now you know, you and your team can start to plan ahead for better times. I'm sure you will have lots of appointments coming up. Please ensure you are referred into secondary care at your hospital, as they'd have in-depth knowledge of Diabetes. Few GP have the opportunity to build specialist knowledge unless they are living with diabetes themselves.

Now your status is clearer, if you would like to, you can update your relationship with diabetes in your account. If you can't quite work that out, leta Mod know and we'll get that done for you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @JMoli ,

At least now you have a diagnosis so can now start working out what you need to do going forward. Health matters like this is very stressful and the delay that you have had won't have helped your stress levels.

I'm a type 2 so not much help for you but you have my sympathy while you get your head around it all. There are many type 1s here and I am sure they will be able to provide you with some advice and help.

Good luck and welcome.