How long will it take to get blood sugars down to normal levels?

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed with fasting levels of 20+, thirst and nausea. Now on gliclazide and metformin twice daily.
I have been following a low carb diet since diagnosis and my readings seem to be consistently around 11(11.9 on waking this morning). Yesterday I wanted to see what effect having granola would do to my levels. Within 45 minutes blood sugar went from 10.9 to 18.9 and I felt really nauseous and had epigastric pain. I felt nauseous all day.
I went to the Drs. She told me off for checking too often and that my feelings were probably down to anxiety or a bug, and that I was doing really well getting my readings down to 11. I asked about the possibility of it being LADA (due to having other autoimmune problems) She said it's quite likely.
Feeling a lot better this morning. What can I do to get my levels down?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't know what type of granola you have or how much you ate, but a generic search on Dr Google tells me it's over 60% carbs so I'm not sure I'd call it part of a low carb diet plan if that's what you're aiming for. Although I have the benefit of Insulin injections, breakfast cereals are generally not great for us.

Have you assessed how many carbs you are eating each day?

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know what type of granola you have or how much you ate, but a generic search on Dr Google tells me it's over 60% carbs so I'm not sure I'd call it part of a low carb diet plan if that's what you're aiming for. Although I have the benefit of Insulin injections, breakfast cereals are generally not great for us.

thanks for the reply.
I know it's not. I just wanted to see what effect it would have. It is now being given away.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are slim and the blood sugar doesn't come down within the next week or so then start to suspect LADA. Metformin only ever has a small effect. Gliclazide is a good drug to use if you suspect LADA as it stimulates the islet cells to produce more insulin; it does this within a few hours. As a generalisation if a small dose e.g 40 or 80mg per day helps a lot then your islet cells are still around even though you could be in a LADA honeymoon period. If, like me, 320mg max dose no longer has any effect then your islet cells have mostly gone and time for insulin. There are two tests for LADA if needed. BTW Metformin SR (Slow Release) can help with stomach/bowel issues.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @thekeys46 .. and welcome
Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle, increasing my exercise and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working. There is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum .. so ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need ..

For information, I have been following this strategy since I was diagnosed T2 on 7th Feb and, as of yesterday, 4th April, these are my readings .. so, in answer to your question, I have brought my readings down to "normal" levels in two months
# my HbA1c is down from 98 to 33 (calculated)
# my BG level is down from 12.5 to 5.6
# my Blood Pressure is down from 149/101 to 121/74
# my weight is down from 106.1 Kg to 92.2 Kg

My LCHF lifestyle includes 16/8 intermittent fasting. For me, this works out that I eat only between 11.am and 7.pm because this is what I choose to do. On many days, I don't have breakfast .. just lunch and dinner. On other days, I may have a breakfast but then I'll have only a light lunch and/or small (ish) dinner. I follow the LCHF advice of ..
# only eat real food
# only eat when hungry
# stop eating when full

It may be worthwhile for you to read up on Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting
Hope this helps

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @thekeys46 .. and welcome
Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle, increasing my exercise and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working. There is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum .. so ask your questions and be assured that you will receive the answers that you need ..

For information, I have been following this strategy since I was diagnosed T2 on 7th Feb and, as of yesterday, 4th April, these are my readings .. so, in answer to your question, I have brought my readings down to "normal" levels in two months
# my HbA1c is down from 98 to 33 (calculated)
# my BG level is down from 12.5 to 5.6
# my Blood Pressure is down from 149/101 to 121/74
# my weight is down from 106.1 Kg to 92.2 Kg

My LCHF lifestyle includes 16/8 intermittent fasting. For me, this works out that I eat only between 11.am and 7.pm because this is what I choose to do. On many days, I don't have breakfast .. just lunch and dinner. On other days, I may have a breakfast but then I'll have only a light lunch and/or small (ish) dinner. I follow the LCHF advice of ..
# only eat real food
# only eat when hungry
# stop eating when full

It may be worthwhile for you to read up on Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting
Hope this helps
Thank you. Low carb high fat would definitely suit me.

Reactions: AM1874

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks for the reply.
I know it's not. I just wanted to see what effect it would have. It is now being given away.

If you think you might be adult onset Type 1 then do go back to,your doctor and ask for further tests. Don't assume a GP will know that much about diabetes. It's not uncommon for adults to be told they're Type 2 when they're actually Type 1. GAD tests can help decide your type.

Some drugs are contraindicated for Type 1, so if your sugars don't come down then do pursue this possibility. Type 1 can develop at any age and is spread evenly across all the age groups, contrary to previous assumptions.

If you were to,be a slow onset Type 1, early introduction of insulin can preserve your remaining beta cells for longer.

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you think you might be adult onset Type 1 then do go back to,your doctor and ask for further tests. Don't assume a GP will know that much about diabetes. It's not uncommon for adults to be told they're Type 2 when they're actually Type 1. GAD tests can help decide your type.

Some drugs are contraindicated for Type 1, so if your sugars don't come down then do pursue this possibility. Type 1 can develop at any age and is spread evenly across all the age groups, contrary to previous assumptions.

If you were to,be a slow onset Type 1, early introduction of insulin can preserve your remaining beta cells for longer.
I was hoping for the GAD test but she sort of said it doesn't matter. Treatment would be the same. I have so many other ongoing health problems and nobody seems interested to look at them as a whole. It's down to me to manage them.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was hoping for the GAD test but she sort of said it doesn't matter. Treatment would be the same. I have so many other ongoing health problems and nobody seems interested to look at them as a whole. It's down to me to manage them.

Well, it would matter, in my unprofessional and unmedical opinion. If she won't do a GAD test, perhaps she would do a C Peptide test?

If you're still not happy, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

As you can see, Gliclazide isn't recommended for Type 1s:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/18089

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it would matter, in my unprofessional and unmedical opinion. If she won't do a GAD test, perhaps she would do a C Peptide test?

If you're still not happy, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

As you can see, Gliclazide isn't recommended for Type 1s:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/18089
Thank you. Will make an appointment with my usual GP (6 weeks)

Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The GAD test if positive does show you have antibodies and are a late onset T1 but it can sometimes takes years to go thru the honeymoon period. A negative GAD doesn't prove no T1 as it's less reliable as time progresses and viruses etc can damage islet cells. The c-peptide is useful in showing high or low insulin and hence whether you are T1 or t2 and the best medication. @azure quite rightly highlights the downside of Gliclazide. I was on full dose for many years (well, I was told I was a T2). There is a view that it can burn-out the islet cells but this is not proven. If so it certainly burnt mine out! In the short term it won't do you any harm but early insulin is the best solution if you are on the T1 pathway. Do push for a c-peptide test if you are concerned. I gave up with my GP and had mine done privately.

Reactions: azure

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. The GAD test if positive does show you have antibodies and are a late onset T1 but it can sometimes takes years to go thru the honeymoon period. A negative GAD doesn't prove no T1 as it's less reliable as time progresses and viruses etc can damage islet cells. The c-peptide is useful in showing high or low insulin and hence whether you are T1 or t2 and the best medication. @azure quite rightly highlights the downside of Gliclazide. I was on full dose for many years (well, I was told I was a T2). There is a view that it can burn-out the islet cells but this is not proven. If so it certainly burnt mine out! In the short term it won't do you any harm but early insulin is the best solution if you are on the T1 pathway. Do push for a c-peptide test if you are concerned. I gave up with my GP and had mine done privately.
Where would you go to have it done privately and how much would it cost? Thanks.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Just to add to your cereal/granola bar comment - a few years back when I was on holidays (before I was on a low carb diet) I woke up and was running quite low - 3.4 so I had a bowl of unsweetened Rice Krispies and thought I'd let my body digest this a bit before giving my first shot as my BGs were already low - turns out I got side tracked and an hour and a half had passed before I realized I hadn't given my shot yet so I tested my BGs - 22.5 - I was shocked - this was before I was on a low carb diet and this was just another piece of knowledge that eventually made me go the low carb route years later. It's really quite incredible the impact that carbs can have.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes breakfast cereals were really bad for me. I had a real low point early on when I finally found a breakfast cereal with zero added sugar. I had a really small portion, only five mini wheats with a splash of skimmed milk. BG shot up, and I was hungry even after I'd eaten it let alone later in the morning. At that point I thought I was going to be really miserable trying to reduce my BG. Now I have full fat yoghurt with a few berries. I'm not hungry, and my BG is way better. LCHF works for me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add to your cereal/granola bar comment - a few years back when I was on holidays (before I was on a low carb diet) I woke up and was running quite low - 3.4 so I had a bowl of unsweetened Rice Krispies and thought I'd let my body digest this a bit before giving my first shot as my BGs were already low - turns out I got side tracked and an hour and a half had passed before I realized I hadn't given my shot yet so I tested my BGs - 22.5 - I was shocked - this was before I was on a low carb diet and this was just another piece of knowledge that eventually made me go the low carb route years later. It's really quite incredible the impact that carbs can have.

I eat granola or muesli every day - but I remember to bolus for,it ;) Seriously, an advance bolus and weighed cereal is the way forward for Type 1s. The advance bolus reduces the spike incredibly well. My 'spike' from my granola breakfast was 5.9 today :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Where would you go to have it done privately and how much would it cost? Thanks.
I used Medichecks. Google them. There isn't much choice at present in the UK. Prices have come down recently and I think the test is now around £100? You do need to get bloods taken at one of their centres or an NHS hospital but my local one didn't at first know how to handle the Medichecks voucher but I found another hospital that did.

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes breakfast cereals were really bad for me. I had a real low point early on when I finally found a breakfast cereal with zero added sugar. I had a really small portion, only five mini wheats with a splash of skimmed milk. BG shot up, and I was hungry even after I'd eaten it let alone later in the morning. At that point I thought I was going to be really miserable trying to reduce my BG. Now I have full fat yoghurt with a few berries. I'm not hungry, and my BG is way better. LCHF works for me.
Greek yoghurt and berries seems to suit me for breakfast. Hopefully my levels will soon come down.

thekeys46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used Medichecks. Google them. There isn't much choice at present in the UK. Prices have come down recently and I think the test is now around £100? You do need to get bloods taken at one of their centres or an NHS hospital but my local one didn't at first know how to handle the Medichecks voucher but I found another hospital that did.
Thanks. Will look them up.