Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many carbs do people eat on average per day? For example

40 Breakfast
50 Lunch
70 Dinner
20-30 Per snack..

I've read a lot in relation to lower carb diets being good for some people, especially those who need to lower their weight etc. Some people swear by keeping carbs normal, rather than going low carb. My recommendation from my diabetic dietician was to eat as normal (like someone without diabetes) and as I am not overweight, and I am quite active, keeping carbs normal 175-250 should not be an issue if I am maintaining weight and my blood sugar levels become and remain stable.

Everyone is different, just wondering what approaches people take.

Hope everyone is having a good day :):)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm almost as low as @Kristin251. Most days, about 30 grams, sometimes as high as 50.

@JoeT1 your dietician's advice to eat a "balanced diet" is pretty standard. A true low-carb diet is still considered somewhat controversial or even unattainable in the long run, but it works really well for some of us (see signature below).

Edited to add: I had not noticed you are T1. In your case, and depending on your insulin regimen, the dietitian's advice seems plausible to me -- although not necessarily the only valid option. I know very little about T1, but with a lower carb diet you could also lower the insulin, as I understand it.

Edited to add breakdown by meal, as requested:
  • 15 breakfast (tiny quantity of home-made granola, berries, couple of thin slices of banana, milk, one spoonful of greek yogurt)
  • 0 lunch (salads, avocados, the occasional omelette)
  • 5 dry red wine
  • 10 dinner (mainly protein and fat)

Last edited:

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I average 20g a day, sometimes (weekend) as much as 40g. Green veg, cauli, avocado, nuts...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Most days just under 20 as 3 days out of the week I do not eat brekky or lunch just dinner which is meat and veg,after sugar free jelly with blackcurrants and a little cream. Even when I do have lunch I am normally under 20 grams of carbs per day

Reactions: Crystalwand

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoeT1 . Average around 180g daily. Busy day at work or good gym session will see it rise up 200g area.
Quiet weekend and it can drop to 120g area.
I avoid junk food, cheap pre packed meals and anything sugary( chocolate, cakes etc )
I will occasionally treat myself to a treat if I want, maybe a dessert on a meal out, but in all honesty they always sound better than they taste.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
shamefully I will admit I eat around 200 - 250 grams of carbs daily at the moment and some days more, but it seems my strategy of working on building more muscles and doing a lot of endurance exercise works.

Today i found that my latest HbA1c to my great surprise still is 34 ... I thought it would be around 40 or a bit more...
BUT ...I have gained a lot of weight on this higher fat diet ... and my cholesterol level has raised to a total of 6 from last time 5 ...

I have sinned hugely, so now I´ll go back to less fat especially the saturated and fewer carbs as well because I think it is a combination of higher carbs and higher fats that makes me gain weight. so this lifestyle is not sustainable in the longer run.

I think I´ll try 150 grams of carbs , a lot more vegetables with high fibres .. a little fewer fruits .. maybe 1 a day...and more olives instead of cream and butter and maybe quite a bit more beef.. my daughter make the most of our dinners , she is a vegetarian
so I need to eat the chicken and beef at other times of the day.. but well I can also eat beef in the morning as well

carrots will have a big place in my in between meals from now on...

I enjoy a whisky right now, and a glass of red wine will also be one of my favourite treats a few times a week

Last edited:

SoulfulXombi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
***edit - didn't notice this was in the type 1 forum I'm also type 2 which obviously has different needs***

I'm trying around 160 as I'm still new to it all. Occasionally slipping over but not doing too bad.

Not sure how the higher fat is going to impact on weight which is something I need to watch as I am "morbidly obese" I believe the lovely term is.

I know a lot of people have said they don't worry about counting cals doing this type of diet but as I'm using an app to track carbs I'm checking caps and so far I've been under my maximums which is good for me lol

Last edited:

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I average at around 70-100 a day

Have been fairly consistent at this level since adopting LCHF back in April

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoeT1 firstly do be aware that even though you posted your question in the type 1 diabetes sub forum, thus far of the 12 posts in your thread 6 are from people with type 2 diabetes. There is no requirement for people with type 1 to reduce or stick to a carb limit and your dietitians advice to eat normally is very sensible. Ensure you're having a normal healthy balance diet, just as anyone without diabetes would see as a healthy diet. As you get used to how your insulins work and how different carb sources are digested and released you will get used to managing your insulin to deal with this.

While minimising carbs can help to reduce spikes it comes with its own challenges as low carbing creates physiological insulin resistance and creates a need to bolus for protein. These are pretty significant challenges for someone not used to carb counting or insulin. And you are unlikely to get a lot of help from the HCPs with managing these niche challenges.

Here are some threads with similar questions -
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-carbs-per-day.125388/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t1s-how-many-carbs-do-you-have-a-day-typically.104957/

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Usually I eat 20g/day. Sometimes more (like weekends), but then I have to change my basal needs otherwise I get a bit high during the day.
:)

Reactions: Peppergirl

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoeT1 firstly do be aware that even though you posted your question in the type 1 diabetes sub forum, thus far of the 12 posts in your thread 6 are from people with type 2 diabetes.

Yes sorry @JoeT1, I had not noticed that you are T1, but really should have noticed given that this thread is in the Type 1 forum and you identify as T1 under your avatar. I apologize for my advice given earlier, which is inappropriate given that I have no special knowledge of T1 diabetes.

Robbins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I eat low carb, but I think the point gets missed with low carb. It's not so much about how many grams of carbs you eat, its about how difficult it is to get your insulin to 'strike the spike'. Limiting your carbs just makes that easier. The more carbs you have the more difficult it is.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm at work i tend to stick to the same amount of carbs per day.

About 60 g for breakfast
Roughly 100 dinner at 11am
Snacks at work before I have my tea about 15g twice before 5.30pm
Tea about 40-50
And a small snack at home aftet work at 9pm if bloods are low. 15g.
I have an active job so sometimes i need more carbs.

Weekends have been a carbfest of late. On Saturday I probs ate about 280 plus carbs. And sunday around 220.

And I managed to put 2lbs on in weight, which is what I wanted to do.

Last edited:

Tokamachi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow I’m on under 70 gram carbohydrates per day by my endocrinologist, primary care, and dietitian in US..
I’m taking 10mg Glipizide once a day and my average Glucose is down to 128-135 average from 365 mol/dL 5 month ago.
For awhile I cheated myself eating 90 g or more carb per day and I suffered many medical problems.
My goal is to reverse my type2 diabetes. That’s the reason I don’t use insulin, it will destroy my pancreas.
Is there anyone reversed type 2 diabetes in this forum?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I’m on under 70 gram carbohydrates per day by my endocrinologist, primary care, and dietitian in US..
I’m taking 10mg Glipizide once a day and my average Glucose is down to 128-135 average from 365 mol/dL 5 month ago.
For awhile I cheated myself eating 90 g or more carb per day and I suffered many medical problems.
My goal is to reverse my type2 diabetes. That’s the reason I don’t use insulin, it will destroy my pancreas.
Is there anyone reversed type 2 diabetes in this forum?
Insulin doesn’t destroy your pancreas. It takes the load off and preserves beta cells. Wish I would have at least started with basal insulin earlier.

I’m amazed to see so many type 1’s eating lower carbs than T 2’s!!!

Reactions: Sibyl