How much exercise do you do?

anne1938

I truly hate exercise. I used to go swimming in the mornings but my friend cant come any more. I know I should go on my own but truly I cant be bothered. I was diagnosed with T2 when I was 68 and am now 74. Yes, it has got worse, because I have not bothered to count carbs or exercise. I have been a widow for over 23 yrs. and live alone. Is any one out there as uncaring as me about it. Both my feet and right lower leg now feel numb all the time. Someone said it was nerve damage. I try to watch carbs now but have this "could not care less attitude". How can you tell if any damage has been done to other organs.. I am sick of the whole thing. My grandmother died at 68 and my brother at 76 both from diabetes complications. I think I have had it far longer than 6 years.
Anne

stevepearls

Hello,
You need to do exercise daily in the morning and in the evening also, so then it could be controlled sugar level effectively and you get energy to stay fit.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I Try to bike every day: about 6km in the morning and around 8km in the evening my best evening one so far is 9.6km

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to do some excercise, I have managed to get my levels under control very well through diet (albeit last few days with this bloody bug bites screwing me over with levels) they appear to be under control again, though my morning levels are higher again which is annoying as I worked hard to get them good too.

I am lazy when it comes to excersice, my motivation to get my levels under control through diet is great, but for some reason is not carrying over to excersice. My boy starts school in September and then I have. New baby due in October, so will be hard to get out and do things, other than a walk in the park etc, which I know some of you will say that's excercise. But I thinks ned to do more.

Don't really know how to tackle this excercise slump.....

Ashleigh

anne1938 said:
I truly hate exercise. I used to go swimming in the mornings but my friend cant come any more. I know I should go on my own but truly I cant be bothered. I was diagnosed with T2 when I was 68 and am now 74. Yes, it has got worse, because I have not bothered to count carbs or exercise. I have been a widow for over 23 yrs. and live alone. Is any one out there as uncaring as me about it. Both my feet and right lower leg now feel numb all the time. Someone said it was nerve damage. I try to watch carbs now but have this "could not care less attitude". How can you tell if any damage has been done to other organs.. I am sick of the whole thing. My grandmother died at 68 and my brother at 76 both from diabetes complications. I think I have had it far longer than 6 years.
Anne

My sisters friend is like that. I havent seen her since the Dr told me i'm prediabetic, so i told her about it yesterday and she said that her friend now has to have his eye removed and replaced with a glass one. She also said that he had a heart attack or heart problems a few years ago so i asked her what he does about it/to manage it etc and she said nothing, he doesnt take insulin so i assume that he is T2. I asked her what he eats and he eats a normal junky diet, but has milkshakes in case of some kind of emergency or something. He has them prescribed and always keeps one in the fridge, so i dont know what that is for.

For me, i'm terrified of losing a foot or eye and that is my so am trying to turn everything around at the mo, but it seems like he was never bothered to, or was always given the wrong info by Drs. He's not that old either, he must only be about 40-odd.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I've just started at the gym a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to go as much as i can which seems to only be about 3 times a week.
all i do is walk on the treadmill at a reasonable pace and stick a bit of an incline on it.
i have to be careful as i have a gammy knee :) so things like the cross trainer and what not just give me a lot of pain.
i do 40 mins at a time everytime and im glad to hear from other responses that i am doing some good.
i wont ever run a marathon (or probably ever run on a treadmill :lol: ) but im doing something and that makes me feel good enough.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
at the minute i am really enjoying my zumba fitness 2 on the wii. it seems to be something i actually enjoy and look forward to doing. i probably do it 4 times a week and it does feel like i am doing a proper workout :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I've been running since I was diagnosed (in Spring last year). In the past 12 months I've run 36 5k races, two 10ks and I'm training for the Great North Run in exactly a months time, and another half-marathon at the end of October. I run 20 miles a week, including a 10 mile run (up to 12 miles next week). I do all this on next to zero carbs, and despite the fact that I weigh 250lbs (down from 310lbs).

As soon as I'm done with the half-marathons, I'm going to get some swimming coaching in preperation for tranistioning to triathlon next year (inspired by the Brownlee brothers).

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I just joined our local kiss gym, 24hr our access for £15 per month. Watch out fit people I am coming.... :D

Scardoc

I started running around 6 years ago and made the huge mistake of stopping when I was diagnosed with T1 in 2008. I was diagnosed in February and had a place in the London Marathon that April which I was unable to keep. Since 2010 I have gotten back into it and have run 5 local 10K's, unfortunately we don't have a local park run! There's a local half marathon at the end of October that I will be entering and then will start to plan for a full marathon in 2013/2014. At present I'm averaging 40 miles a month although I have hit that already this month and have had a couple of injuries.

Running keeps my insulin demand very low which I like. It also has given me a great heart rate of 40-44bpm (during the day, not first thing in morning) and I take great delight in setting the little alarm off on the blood pressure machine :lol: In fact, I was once sent for an ECG as it was so low. Next hospital appointment is on Tuesday so I am hoping I can have a nice relax before they call me and get under 40bpm.

I can be a bit obsessive with times etc and get very grumpy if I go a few days without doing anything but admire anyone who does anything to get their heart pumping. Small steps lead to great strides.

vjykmr89

Mine go for half an hour to hour long walks every day. After that we play frisbee at the park for about 45 minutes at the park in my area.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As a kid, I was a competitive swimmer and I have 2 Olympians in my immediate family, but I didn't't like sports much at school. I did play hockey at college too, but then didn't do anything for years.
Now I belong to a group at my local gym, where I go to aqua exercise classes 3 times a week and gym sessions 3 times more. It's being part of a group that keeps me going there. I also go hiking most weeks and walk to and from places. It takes me 1 hour 10 minutes to get into the town centre.
Hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ran 13 miles to work this morning (my first time over 10 miles) on an empty stomach. BG was 5.6 mmol/l when I arrived (no hypos for me).

I thought that my calves were going to explode for the first hour I arrived at work, but now I have a massive endorphin buzz.

Scardoc

borofergie said:
Ran 13 miles to work this morning (my first time over 10 miles) on an empty stomach. BG was 5.6 mmol/l when I arrived (no hypos for me).

I thought that my calves were going to explode for the first hour I arrived at work, but now I have a massive endorphin buzz.

Your calves will explode increasing your distance by that much! I tore a calf muscle several years ago by jumping from 7.5 to 10 miles and had to pull out of the same half marathon that I'm running in October. I could have bagged this one six years ago with a little patience and care.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Scardoc said:
borofergie said:

Your calves will explode increasing your distance by that much! I tore a calf muscle several years ago by jumping from 7.5 to 10 miles and had to pull out of the same half marathon that I'm running in October. I could have bagged this one six years ago with a little patience and care.

Point taken - I went from 8 to 10 to 13...

It's a bit of a bodge job. I was one week into a 12 week training plan for the Run to the Beat Half Marathon at the end of October, when I found out that I'd got a place at the (much more prestigious) Great North Run on September 16th. Which left me just 5 weeks. If you include a taper and a trip to America (which will limit my long runs), that doesn't leave me very much, so I wanted to get a 13 miler under my belt.

I've been running for over a year, so I do have some good base fitness.

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
I HAVE HAD 2 STROKES AFFECTING MY LEFT AS WELL AS 2 SERIOUS CHEST COMPLAINTS THAT I JUST GET ON WITH AS ONE I HAVE HAD SINCE BIRTH SO MOST FORMS OF EXERCISE ARE OUT DISPITE PLAYING ALOT OF FOOTBALL CRICKET AND RUGBY WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND BEEN EMPLOYED AS A QUALIFIED NURSE TO WHICH YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOME DEGREE OF FITNESS FOR RUNNING TO CALL OUTS BUT THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INTEREST AND INPUT I AM NOT UPSET BY ANY AS NONE OF YOU KNOW ME AND VISA VERSA
JOHNTY

Fraddycat

Hi Brunodog, I try to go to Spin Class twice a week, I find it great for destressing after work, I also try to play badminton once a week. I have to travel a lot on business so that can interrupt my routine. If I am in a hotel I try to go to the gym if I can, I go to the US a lot so can get my exercise in before work, coz I am awake flipping early!

Pearsall85

I currently do 3 weight training & cardio sessions a week for about 1hr - 1hr 1/2. I'm going to add other cardio sessions in over the upcoming weeks.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a bit of osteoarthritis in my ankle so find walking any worthwhile distance too painful. On holiday I did swim everyday though and found a great improvement over a couple of weeks. Since then I have been diagnosed and started by doing some exercises at home in the bedroom listening to the radio. I am not doing exercise to lose weight specifically but to improve my circulation, so I need something that will create a little bit of puff and pant.

The simple stretching and moving exercises quickly became much easier so I treated myself to an air rowing machine which has the benefit that it doesn't keep hammering on my ankle, such as would happen with a treadmill, and of course one can row gently for that early morning wake me up bit of exercise. Main thing is I can do five or ten mins at various intervals during the day as and when I have time.

I went to clear the snow off the driveway and it was very much easier than in previous years.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I kept up my daily exercise since January and am glad I did because towards the end of March we had a lot of snow over a few days. I had to clear it several times and actually found it enjoyable. Well, maybe not actually fun but more a sense of surprise that I was able to do it. Amazing how much benefit you get out of 3 x 10 mins per day.