How much protein do you eat

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Oh thanks so much...so that's just about right for me. Brilliant. Lost another 2lbs this week :)

Pain911~

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Torqpenderloin, or anyone else that would like to comment lol

I will talk to my doctor about splitting my Levemir into two different injections. (I don't mind having more injections)
How many units do you take on average a day(long and Fast acting)?

I read in Dr. Bernstein book that one unit of Humalog will lower his blood sugar by 100 points, this seems incredible to me. For Example I will eat 4 eggs with a protein shake so were looking at roughly 4 carbs for breakfast. Ill take one unit of Humalog and my blood sugar will almost be the same, Before I ate I was my blood sugar was 145. 2 house later I was 116. I guess I just expect insulin to have a more profound effect on me since I am low body fat and have a decent amount of muscle.

also I would like to increase my long acting to maybe 15 units to see if that helps keep me in that 80-100 range. Funny enough tho when I told my doctor my idea she said no and that she wants me to use more fast acting with my meals. she also thinks that a low carb diet is a bad idea and that I should have around 200-250 carbs per day.

This seems crazy to me

thank you for your time

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thanks so much...so that's just about right for me. Brilliant. Lost another 2lbs this week :)

Great news on weight loss! I assume you're trying.? I lost 2 # s this week too and I now hit my target of 124. The only changes I made in my diet was switching turkey mustard mayo lettuce wrap breakfast to guac and celery and lunch switched mayo to the other half avocado for my fat. Same veg and protein. I'll take it! I love guac

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to limit myself to 3 mice a day. Other than that I haven't a clue. Ham is a bugbear for me, too munch and the salad becomes immaterial. I wonder why a small mackeral is bad, but 2 pilchards are excellent. Cream seems to be good, but I refuse to lick it off the floor. I do have standards, you know.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beef burgers tonight, lean beef chilli tomorrow, lamb on Sunday - flipping hec three meat meals over the weekend, I just can't wait. My problem is the "eat more fat", I know when I get to maintenance weight that will be critical, so am trying hemp this week (52% mono and poly fats), should help. It's just the psychological shift I have to make having been told for 50 years, "eat fat, get fat" bonkers!!

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Beef burgers tonight, lean beef chilli tomorrow, lamb on Sunday - flipping hec three meat meals over the weekend, I just can't wait. My problem is the "eat more fat", I know when I get to maintenance weight that will be critical, so am trying hemp this week (52% mono and poly fats), should help. It's just the psychological shift I have to make having been told for 50 years, "eat fat, get fat" bonkers!!
If you have excess body fat you don't need to gob fat. Your body will use its own fat stores. Sometimes we lose weight because we are wrong and too much and as we lose the body will find its own homeostasis. We don't all lose too much and need to eat more. We were just eating too much in the first place, hence the body fat.
I love burgers and lamb. I had a rare burger crumbled over my salad last night and made a spicy creamy dressing and a few taco type additions for cinco de mayo. Loved it.
Do you like avocados ? Very healthy fat and goes with any meal. Some fats tend to be harder to burn than others.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes Kristin, I love mashed avocados especially. Good point re the fat, let's see what happens when I reach my Personal Fat Threshold,mine Dr has set me. Will probably another 3 months to achieve this, but very happy with the progress.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a lifter so get a lot of protein in , but try to keep it to the minimum I can get away with as I also have gout and find that over 150g gives me twinges, so after doing a lot of research I aim for about 120g a day....

@Pain911~ I think at your BW you could probably get away with about the same.......

I found quite a few sites saying that 0.7g a lb is probably the min for a lifter....

A point to remember for us (ahem):) slightly overweight people is base the calculation on your lean body weight (LBW) not your actual BW....

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread. It is really interesting and makes sense for me. I found I feel better with limited protein and get amazing BG readings. When I make vegan low-carb meals, I can manage this quite well.

Today I had low carb porridge for breakfast (maybe 15 g protein), 100 g smoked salmon (18 g protein) for lunch, with salad and olive oil. Tonight I had almond pancakes (33g protein), but I am going to cycle for an hour later tonight. Without reading this last night I would have eaten more!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know lots of people don't believe in the mTOR pathway and it is relatively new but I do believe in it. Many of the nutritional gurus are advising to limit protein and I certainly feel better with less. The m TOR pathway has been said to be the pathway to all kinds of diseases and I personally would like to avoid those. Infused to eat much more protein than I do now. I am not a body builder, I don't have tons of muscle and very little body fat so I don't feel I need a lot. I stick to just a few ounces per meal and many days none at BF , just guac. I could not manage. BS as well as I do with much more. This is my personal experience and I am not encouraging anyone to change their diet based on my experience. I just have found what works for me and the information I have read and chose to follow.

Lots of people can eat lots of saturated fat without issue. I cannot. Vegetable fats are better for me. Neither is wrong.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've read and watched numerous videos about the discovery of the mTOR pathway and the two variants lower in the path mTORC1 and mTORC2.

For those following this thread here is a basic definition mTORC:

The mechanistic target of rapamycin, also known as mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the MTOR gene.MTOR is a serine/threonine protein that regulates cell growth, cell proliferation, cell motility, cell survival, protein synthesis, autophagy, transcription. MTOR belongs to the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinase protein family, and fibrosis.

Dr Sarah Hallberg talks clearly and lucidly explains the pathway for cell action and survival and the impact of insulin etc. a Google search will enable followers of the thread to get a better understanding of its importance.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Kevin. I have been hearing more and more about it and as I said many health gurus are changing their stance on protein. Primal body primal mind, Rosedale, mark Sisson, mercola just to name a few. Their recommendations are 45-60 grams for most adults. Following all the calculators including Jenny Ruhl it always comes out to 40-45 for me. Most use .7 g per kg of lean body mass.

This is the recommendation I follow but I'm not implying it's right for every body. Until I heard protein effects bs and cut back I couldn't figure out what eas raising my bs on very few carbs. It was a key to control FOR ME but to each his own.....

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, I'm not ignoring the possibility that the MTOR theory may have some truth to it, but I'm personally not comfortable with the lack of research/evidence out there to support the concept.

Perhaps one of them will kill me one day, but I'll continue drinking water with fluoride in it, getting my vaccinations, cooking in Teflon coated pans, and eating more protein than I probably need.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, I'm not ignoring the possibility that the MTOR theory may have some truth to it, but I'm personally not comfortable with the lack of research/evidence out there to support the concept.

Perhaps one of them will kill me one day, but I'll continue drinking water with fluoride in it, getting my vaccinations, cooking in Teflon coated pans, and eating more protein than I probably need.
Somethings going to get each and every one of us some day.
If I didn't feel better with less I probably would eat more. Even with evidence and research every body is different and requires different diets so it doesn't always work for everyone. Then throw diabetes in and we all have to pick our battles to enjoy our lives.
I could happily eat a half pound burger any day but I have just learned to divide it into 3 meals. Bonus getting a good juicy burger 3 times instead of just once. The mind games I play with myself.....lol

I do really love primal body primal mind. Great book.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Somethings going to get each and every one of us some day.
If I didn't feel better with less I probably would eat more. Even with evidence and research every body is different and requires different diets so it doesn't always work for everyone. Then throw diabetes in and we all have to pick our battles to enjoy our lives.
I could happily eat a half pound burger any day but I have just learned to divide it into 3 meals. Bonus getting a good juicy burger 3 times instead of just once. The mind games I play with myself.....lol

I do really love primal body primal mind. Great book.
Primal Scream does it for me.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I blew the bank last night and had 200g of protein during my BBQ. double my daily intake. Fortunately, I was only 5.6 FBG this morning.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I blew the bank last night and had 200g of protein during my BBQ. double my daily intake. Fortunately, I was only 5.6 FBG this morning.

There's been a fair amount of research done and quite a bit of evidence to show that people with type 2 don't get the same spikes from protein that some/many people with type 1/1.5 get.

It's extremely fascinating to me because it seems we all convert a good amount of excess protein into glucose, yet we still don't understand how our bodies use that glucose and where it goes..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 diet only and don't seem to get protein spikes, and I do eat a lot of protein. (I always have, nothing to do with LCHF) The only thing that does give me a higher morning level is lambs liver. I recall another member saying the same thing about liver.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's been a fair amount of research done and quite a bit of evidence to show that people with type 2 don't get the same spikes from protein that some/many people with type 1/1.5 get.

It's extremely fascinating to me because it seems we all convert a good amount of excess protein into glucose, yet we still don't understand how our bodies use that glucose and where it goes..

Thinking back I am not sure I got all those spikes until I was sliding into type 1. I was slowly losing weight, meals were getting smaller, fasting until 2 for over a year and then only 2 small salads with minimal protein. I have always been very carb intolerant all my life. Eat a piece of bread, gain a pound. Of course I don't know when or how fast my diabetes was progressing but I used to eat boat loads of protein but I wasn't taking my bs then either. I started that 6 years ago and it was evident by then protein effected me but not nearly like it does now

I think T2's have the secondary response more in tact that the timing with that and incoming protein might make the difference. Just a random guess don't quote me. I do find this disease quite fascinating as well.
From what I have understood is as soon as a your glycogen stores are full and the amino acids that it can use at that time are used, the rest converts to glucose. Now you being buff and have more muscle as well as work out you have more empty stores where as me being slight and not loads of muscles I need to eat less then you. Although I'm sure you already know this.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Haha. there are much much worse things you could have eaten. Good new on fasting. It sounds like you enjoyed every bite! Good for you

It is my birthday as well as Mother's Day and my hubby bought me my favorite dessert, choco covered strawberry. As ridiculous as it seems I am slicing pieces of and eating throughout the day today ( I started yesterday haha) but really just a bite satisfys me and this way it lasts all day,