1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How much sugar per 100ml is ok in drinks?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Ramonlv, Dec 5, 2017.

1. glavesr

glavesr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tbh I hate the taste of most sugar free drinks so I will have anything I want as long as I cover it with my insulin so say bottle of Coke it's about 5 cps (1:1 ratio) I would take 5 units to cover I found that my way was the best way of not ending up in burnout and the multiple trips to a&e with dka only thing I've always avoided was Lucazade caused to many spikes in my bs

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Hi Kirsten, thanks again. I’m learning so much from this even though I had a vague start.

I’m not diabetic (which probably explains my terrible line of questioning!). I’m actually doing this because I make soft drinks which I mainly sell to health food shops like Revital... but I’m always looking to improve the recipe. I’m half Jamaican and have a fair few family members with type 2... so it’s always on my mind.. could my drink be okay for them to enjoy or what could I change.

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m Type 2 controlled with diet and Metformin. If I’m going to have a very small sweet treat I include it in my carb count and prefer to eat the treat rather than drink it! Drink wise I have black coffee, almond milk or diet soft drinks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Only they can answer if they’d drink it or not. Depends on how well controlled they are or want to be. I wouldn’t recommend it for any tyoe 2 but we all make our own choices. Sugar spikes insulin and spiking insulin is what we try to avoid. At least I do

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Thanks Rachox.. that’s a valid point! And thanks for the carb count insight too. Out of interest, how many carbs would you do in a treat?

6. Boo1979

Boo1979 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Im T2 on a sulfonylurea - I wouldnt go near any drink with added sugar As they send my blood sugars way too high. Generally speaking the only juice I add to water is freshly squeezed lemon or lime.
    Im not currently drinking milk, tea or coffee and am drinking unsweetened fruit tea instead. I will occasionqlly have some sugar free cordial in sparkling water have a stevia

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Thanks again... good to know you can make a choice to manage if it. I was thinking when asking this, was it a matter of sticking to zero sugar drinks or are there options. Finding out that everyone is different so thanks for sharing your take. So I imagine with you the less sugar the easier to handle?

8. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

I didn’t know that about the balancing effect of alcohol! That’s pretty cool.. Yeah it’s been a good eye opener asking the question. Definitely wiser than before I asked. Thanks for your help

9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As I said I only have very small sweet treats, so I’d say an absolute maximum of 10g. More likely lower than that, I’m talking 2g for a square of 85% dark chocolate, I’d always stop at two squares.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Thanks Boo, I’m finding that T2’s are tending to avoid sugar altogether. Thanks for the insight of what you’re drinking too... I’m getting a much better picture.

11. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Cool, thanks Rachox

12. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Thanks Kristin, you’ve been a great help through the thread

• Like Like x 1
  13. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

zero sugar in drinks. Only treat is one square of 85% chocolate

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Thanks Suz

15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink XXXX Gold mid strength 3.5% low carb beer.

A "pot" is 285 mls has 6 grams
    A "stubby" is 375 mls has 7.1 grams

[​IMG]

I like beer and I will not change a thing as a T2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Looks nice... Yeah I’ve heard there are certain enzymes which break down the carbs so the yeast can better digest it. Still haven’t tried a low carb beer but imagine they’re a bit drier

17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It tastes bitter to me, it's not like the full carb dry beers that are sold here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ramonlv

Ramonlv · Member

Ok will look out for it I’ve I’m ever on the other side

19. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nobody mentioned BEER! I only drink spirits and an occasional Diet Coke, but I find that a single can of it will push me up by around 2 mmol/l. Whiskey drops me quite nicely in many ways.........

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mmariyamm

mmariyamm · Member

Im a mom of a 5 year type 1.. its impossible to totally restrict drinks for kids so either its diet sodas .. tht too about half a can .. in case of fruit juices .. mostly they average about 15gms sugar per 100 ml .. doesnt cause much of a spike esp if i mk my kid do some physical stuff ..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook