How My Diabetes Was Affecting Me

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer from a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Basically my hormones every month fluctuate and cause abscesses to form in my groin, leg creases and arm pits. I've had this for over 20 years now..

I've noticed over the last few years that the abscesses have increased and grown in size. I had no idea that something else could be at play here. A few weeks ago now, I got 3 in succession. The one under my left arm kept growing and I had to have it lanced. It's still being dressed by the nurses. Thankfully the doctor had me take a fasting blood test that was 8.1. I had the second one yesterday and the result today was 8.9. The relief to know that I can do something to stop this now is unreal. I'm worried about the Diabetes but to have one of the conditions causing the abscesses can now be sorted, even though it's not overnight. Kudos to my doctor for this.

I've felt rough on and off for a few years but put it down to hubby becoming disabled and me worrying about him all the time. We have 3 kids, two of which have Special Needs so I just put it down to worrying about my family. I've had pangs of thirst that can only be described as I NEED A DRINK NOW!! I've been a frequent loo visitor too but I'm 48 and just thought the menopause had begun. Tired spells that came on all of a sudden and feeling off it were just put down to not being as fit as i should be and again, the menopause. I even got where caffeinated drinks were making me feel off it so changed to decaff. I had no idea that any of my symptoms were possible Diabetes symptoms but now it makes sense.

There is a list of other symptoms but not sure if they're related to Diabetes or not. It will be interesting to see what happens once I get on a new regime and medication. I'm sure there'll be times that I'll be in floods of tears or moaning about not having a chocolate bar or 5 lol. But for now, I'm just glad to know what to do and do my best to change things positively.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I suffer from a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Basically my hormones every month fluctuate and cause abscesses to form in my groin, leg creases and arm pits. I've had this for over 20 years now..

I've noticed over the last few years that the abscesses have increased and grown in size. I had no idea that something else could be at play here. A few weeks ago now, I got 3 in succession. The one under my left arm kept growing and I had to have it lanced. It's still being dressed by the nurses. Thankfully the doctor had me take a fasting blood test that was 8.1. I had the second one yesterday and the result today was 8.9. The relief to know that I can do something to stop this now is unreal. I'm worried about the Diabetes but to have one of the conditions causing the abscesses can now be sorted, even though it's not overnight. Kudos to my doctor for this.

I've felt rough on and off for a few years but put it down to hubby becoming disabled and me worrying about him all the time. We have 3 kids, two of which have Special Needs so I just put it down to worrying about my family. I've had pangs of thirst that can only be described as I NEED A DRINK NOW!! I've been a frequent loo visitor too but I'm 48 and just thought the menopause had begun. Tired spells that came on all of a sudden and feeling off it were just put down to not being as fit as i should be and again, the menopause. I even got where caffeinated drinks were making me feel off it so changed to decaff. I had no idea that any of my symptoms were possible Diabetes symptoms but now it makes sense.

There is a list of other symptoms but not sure if they're related to Diabetes or not. It will be interesting to see what happens once I get on a new regime and medication. I'm sure there'll be times that I'll be in floods of tears or moaning about not having a chocolate bar or 5 lol. But for now, I'm just glad to know what to do and do my best to change things positively.
So glad you are now on the road to a much better healthier you. You can smash this! If you get a Blood Glucose monitor (meter) you can work out which foods spike your Blood Glucose levels. This will help you to keep them within a healthy range (4-8 mmol) and you will then have better sugar levels than a lot of non-diabetics. Your health will improve vastly and you will find the foods you can eat plenty of. You;ll find that you don't crave sugar as much.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers Indy. Got the Amazon link up now with the book on there. All the five comments give it glowing recommendations. Hard to believe isn't it that the medical profession are still very much in the dark with HS. One or two of the nurses treating me know about it but it's an eye opener to know how many don't know it exists. Much appreciated.

Thanks Diamond. I'm asking about a meter tomorrow. I can't tell you how much it helps to read the threads here. Actually I feel a wimp as my 8.1 and 8.2 readings are so low. I've even wondered to be honest, if I've got Diabetes. Hubby thinks I'm nuts but there's nothing new there. I have felt so rough and off for so long now. We've got 3 dogs that will have me working to lose the weight and I look forward to bringing my numbers down. My cholesterol was 5.4, it's over the acceptable limit but not as high as I thought it would have been. I've got this to discuss on Monday at the diabetic clinic. Can't wait to sort this out.

Reactions: 4 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
if you've got three dogs you won't be short of exercise :)
All the best...
Keep us updated please :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure there'll be times that I'll be in floods of tears or moaning about not having a chocolate bar or 5 lol. But for now, I'm just glad to know what to do and do my best to change things positively.

A little bit of "naughty" advice then, for those tearful, stroppy days: if you like high percent dark chocolate then a square or two of that won't do you any real harm. I buy Lindt 85% and a single square (quite big!) is about 2g of carbohydrates. Green & Blacks might be another option, but while it's about the same carbs-wise, it's actually a lot more calorific! I discovered that dark choccie was OK when I was searching for low carbohydrate recipes and menus, and on one lady's blog, her menu included two squares of Lindt for pudding most days!!

Robbity

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers Indy. Got the Amazon link up now with the book on there. All the five comments give it glowing recommendations. Hard to believe isn't it that the medical profession are still very much in the dark with HS. One or two of the nurses treating me know about it but it's an eye opener to know how many don't know it exists. Much appreciated.

Thanks Diamond. I'm asking about a meter tomorrow. I can't tell you how much it helps to read the threads here. Actually I feel a wimp as my 8.1 and 8.2 readings are so low. I've even wondered to be honest, if I've got Diabetes. Hubby thinks I'm nuts but there's nothing new there. I have felt so rough and off for so long now. We've got 3 dogs that will have me working to lose the weight and I look forward to bringing my numbers down. My cholesterol was 5.4, it's over the acceptable limit but not as high as I thought it would have been. I've got this to discuss on Monday at the diabetic clinic. Can't wait to sort this out.
There is a video interview with Sam Feltham and Tara on Youtube that you might find interesting:

This is not a diabetic diet - you'd need to adapt for LC - I doubt I'd be trying her sweet potato flour pasta, for example.

Last edited by a moderator: