HOW OFTEN SHOULD BLOOD BE TESTED?

hal752

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. As all of you know coming to terms with the realisation that you have a disease whose consequences can be horrendous if not properly looked after is a significant shock to the system but I have been really helped by the information on the website and in the Forum.

I am 2 months into the journey now and am pleased to say that I have managed to bring my glusose levels and weight under control. However I am not sure how often I should be testing my blood sugar. At the beginning I was testing 3 times a day but I have now reduced to two a day. I should be grateful for any advice on this.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

At the beginning it is best to test out your meals rather than random tests here and there, which is pretty meaningless.. You may have heard the phrase "eat to your meter". This means test immediately before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the rise. Ideally it should be under 2mmol/l. If it isn't, there may be some carbs in that meal that need attention, either by reducing the portion or avoiding them. This method can be used along with a food diary. Record your food (and portions) alongside your levels. Eventually you will see patterns emerging and know which foods you can or can't cope with.

Some people (me included) test a lot. I test immediately on getting out of bed and immediately before going to bed. I also test out meals with a before, 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour test after eating. This doesn't mean every meal, just when it is a new one for me, or I have extra portions, or something along those lines. Once you have tested enough to sort out what you can eat without raising your levels you will not need to test as much.

Kathryn_Southern

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all, congratulations! I know how difficult it can be to keep your blood glucose levels as well as weight under control when you have diabetes (my husband has been diagnosed with it 20 days ago). He asked his doctor how often he needs to get his blood sugar level checked and his doc told him 3 times a day in the beginning and then once everything is under control and when you're sure the medication is working well, we can comfortably scale it down to 2 times a day. He also mentioned that the frequency of testing depends on the patient in question since two people, both having Type 2 diabetes, may be taking different types and dosage of medicines. So I would suggest you consult your doctor once with this query; he will be the best judge.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all, congratulations! I know how difficult it can be to keep your blood glucose levels as well as weight under control when you have diabetes (my husband has been diagnosed with it 20 days ago). He asked his doctor how often he needs to get his blood sugar level checked and his doc told him 3 times a day in the beginning and then once everything is under control and when you're sure the medication is working well, we can comfortably scale it down to 2 times a day. He also mentioned that the frequency of testing depends on the patient in question since two people, both having Type 2 diabetes, may be taking different types and dosage of medicines. So I would suggest you consult your doctor once with this query; he will be the best judge.

There are two distinct reasons for testing.

One is the one that some doctors say, which is to test 2 or 3 times a day to keep an eye on your general levels, making sure you aren't going too high or low. Many doctors tell you not to test at all.

The other reason is to sort out a suitable diet by testing out meals, as I explained above. I haven't come across any NHS staff that suggest this method because most of them want you to eat the NHS way, which is not always suitable for type 2 diabetics. (contains too many carbs and starchy foods that convert to sugar once inside the system)

Reactions: 6 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,ve been testing for 4 months now and test before a meal and 2 hours after each meal
this helps me to realise what foods spike my readings

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been T2 for over 20 years (73 years old ), by now I know exactly what my BG is after certain meals, Low Carb.
so I test only a few times a month. if I eat more than I should have I just exercise more

hal752

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for all your helpful replies. I have begun to "test" meals and am finding it a very useful exercise. The one thing I am finding difficult is the fact that the Metfin I am taking causes me some quite bad stomach aches. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this? At present I take a Gaviscon and that seems to help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take Metformin so have no actual experience, but from what I read on here tummy problems are very common in the first few weeks, and maybe longer. There is a slow release version that is better. Maybe if it doesn't go away you should ask your GP for the slow release ones.

Well done on testing out meals. It is very useful, and I hope you are learning from it and sorting out a diet that is suitable for you.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
by testing regulary, you will find that certain foods will spike you and then know not to eat them

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with what bluet it and ally have said. Since I started testing before and 2hrs after a meal I have not only worked out what I can and can't eat but I have also started to see my bs results lower - I wouldn't be able to see this without testing. This in its self Spurs me on to do better and to make sure I get a handle on this progressive disease before it's too late.

Reactions: 3 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Thank you very much for all your helpful replies. I have begun to "test" meals and am finding it a very useful exercise. The one thing I am finding difficult is the fact that the Metfin I am taking causes me some quite bad stomach aches. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this? At present I take a Gaviscon and that seems to help.
Hi,
As @Bluetit1802 said, it takes a few weeks to get used to Metformin, be Shure you take it with your meal, as this may help as well

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was originally put on metformin 500mg 3 daily but it caused havoc with my stomach, went back to docs and they put me on a SR form and I have been much better since.