how often should you change the lancet in your finger pricker

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
excuse my terminology i call it a finger pricker but im not sure whats the correct word is for it, i have been testing for years and recently upgraded myself to a nice bayers contour usb to keep track of my records etc, i noticed when reading the quick start quide that it says you should replace the lancet needle every time you test, with my old meter i only replaced it every 5 times because this is how i have done it since i was diagnosed as a boy and no one has ever told me they were single use.
got me thinking i have probably been risking infection all these years from reusing them?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
NHS and manufacturers advise changing lancet every time. Some follow this advise, others don't. You'll probably get a variety of responses.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

lisapisa18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 diabetes for 21 years and I was always told to change it every time but as the previous comment said, I didn't always do it as there was no where for me to dispose of the needle pricked, however I've recently upgraded my blood monitor to a Accu Check Mobile which has everything you normally carry with your normal monitor (pricker, blood strips etc) inside or attached to it and it has a cartiridge inside the pricked that holds around 20 needles so saves you from changing it all the time. I personally have found it to be the best monitor as I've used many different ones in the past. Have a look online as the website will explain what I'm talking about in detail lol I got mine for free as I have type 1 but am sure it's reasonably priced if you have to pay for it? Hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change my lancet everytime.
The only time I don't is if I am hypo and will be doing a retest in the next 10 minutes I have always just kept the same lancet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Best to change it every-time if possible.

The lancer that comes with the Bayer Contour meter is hopeless, when I was using this meter I used the MulticlixlLancing device that comes with the Accu-Chek meters, it's far more convenient as it has 6 lancets per drum.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't changed mine in weeks.
I usually remember to do it when it's gets blunt - and painful.
Never had a problem, or an infection, but then, I'm not prone to skin infections.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What... Can you change the jabber. I got a black jabber when I got my meter. It still clicks ok, although I have had to keep putting it onto a higher number when it stops getting blood

I'm on 7 now and the jabber runs out on 10, so I guess it will only last me for a couple more years

Reactions: 13 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lancer that comes with the Bayer Contour meter is hopeless, when I was using this meter I used the MulticlixlLancing device that comes with the Accu-Chek meters, it's far more convenient as it has 6 lancets per drum.

Oh how I agree - I have a Contour Next meter with a useless long winded pricker but I use the Fastclix which I got with my Accu Chek Nano. Cheaper to buy the whole caboodle than the pricker on its own. Being lazy/naughty I tend to change when it hurts or the needle gets bluntish.

But it's best to do what you feel happy with - and you'll find too from the other thread that we're all slightly different .

Robbity

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
@jamesmacc I'm bad I can go weeks without changing my lancets, though years ago was told that it should be changed every time you test - but new guidelines here in Canada say that it should be changed at least once a day (every time is still preferred, but once a day is alright if you keep things clean).

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, I wouldn't do anything other than change the lancet each time. You either have them free on prescription or if you buy them they are pennies.

Why compromise an inaccurate result or infection because of contamination?

jim

Reactions: 6 people

jodysd6

I try to remember to change mine when the clocks go back or forward! Honestly I never remember and while it may not be only twice a year I do it it is probably weeks between changes, it is so infrequent that when I got a new meter 18 months ago I have still not asked my GP to change prescription and still using the 12 that came with it. I really should get round to asking to get them added!

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change it when it feels blunt. I doubt it will affect the readings really. All health and safety rubbish. I cant be bothered to keep changing it tbh. I have it on 10 anyway as im still scared of pushing it down hard evern on a lower number lol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I change it when it feels blunt. I doubt it will affect the readings really. All health and safety rubbish. I cant be bothered to keep changing it tbh. I have it on 10 anyway as im still scared of pushing it down hard evern on a lower number lol.

Changing the lancet only when it becomes blunt will only damage the tissues under the skin, maybe not now but many years down the road........

Reactions: 4 people

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

it takes seconds to change, costs pennies and is more hygienic?

jim

Danbridge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The American republican party, raisens, Texas
Best to change it every-time if possible.

Wow different strokes for different folks! I found that the Bayer Microlet 2 is the best lancing device for me.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using AccuCheck Mobile. 50 bg tests in the built-in test-strip module. The finger pricker is built in, with a drum of 6 lancets.
The 50 tests typically lasts for 8-10 days for me, and I change then both the test-strip module and the lancet drum.
Sometimes I have by then not even gone through using all 6 lancets. The manufacturers advise you to change for every single time you test. (they have to, for regulatory safety reasons) and so do medical staff. If you change every time or not does not impact the read result. Except if your fingers are really dirty and/or your immune system down, then you do not really need to change that often. Its more then a question about your own comfort. I change when I feel the lancet starts to be a bit blunt. (it starts to punch a bit more clumsy/painful through the skin). So with all the above in mind, I change the lancet for every 8-14 pricks.

Same thing with the insulin pen: All manufacturers (to make more money than they already do, on all the gadgets we buy from them) and medical staff also say you should change the needle on your pen, for every time you inject insulin. I do not know any experienced diabetic that do that at all. If that really was required (to avoid infections, etc), then the pens would never have become as popular as they are today.

wudzman

You Limeys need to toughen up! I havent rotated the needle in my drum for over a couple of months. I have bags of those single lancet's that i have never used. I check a few times a week and all I Need is a quick pop for a little blood... Never has bothered me but then I'm a just a Michigander where it snows in June... LOL! Stay safe over the other side of the pond my friends!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You Limeys need to toughen up! I havent rotated the needle in my drum for over a couple of months.
The drum rotates? Next thing I know you'll be telling me that the finger pricking thing can be taken apart. I thought you just used one for a couple of years then chucked it away!

Reactions: 8 people

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
I change mine every morning but that's mainly because I can't stand the thought of using a lancet that's had my blood on it all night.