How often should you check HbA1C

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That may be the system I was thinking of, thank you.

No problem, should have added that I have no real feel for how accurate the estimate is, my hba1c was 104 at diagnosis early August, 51 two/three weeks ago and currently my estimate is 34 with my blood sugar ending to be in the low 5's.

Logging functionality of App is easy to use, can log a wide range of values (weight, steps, carbs, etc) and keeps a count of potential hypo/hyper. Has a gimmicky monster/tamagotchi thing which I've found useless. My biggest complaint is lack of integration with other systems such as fitbit/myfitnesspal which stops me from consolidating all my info but does seem easy to export data as CSV.

One potential concern for some people might be that the parent company is Roche Holding AG. Not aware of any problems with that but some people might have privacy concerns.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As Dr Unwin has observed HbA1c starts showing response within 1 month. I had mine tested monthly after diagnosis.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/alternative-path-to-recovery-from-t2d.763/#comment-821
2015-09-08 Diagnosed with HbA1c 11%
2015-10-16 Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting, my HbA1c is now at 8.1%
2015-11-15 On World Diabetic Day at Suntec City, free HbA1c test was showing 6.3%
2015-12-08 Diabetic Center 5.5%

It helped to show me that a carbs lite fats friendly approach works well for me despite objections from my health care provider.

I now test every 6 mths.

rachaelc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all;
Ideally, how often should we check HbA1C?
Do you think once in 3 months is okay?
The cost for this test is quite expensive so I always think twice before drawing my blood to lab. :)
Regards;
Sy
The point of 3months is that's how long it takes for blood cells to be replaced . Cutting back in the NHS means that now we only get HBA1C every six months and only 1 annual review, unless the 2nd test shows problems.

Reactions: dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that it only costs the NHS about £3 to do an AC1, as the GP does not get paid any more to cover the cost of the blood being taken etc. So for once, this is not NHS money saving.....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one test for diagnosis - came in at 91, then 80 days later it was 47, and the third one at 6 months was 41 - I will not be tested again until some time next year - but as I test after dinner a few times a month and get low readings I am happy to leave it at that.

P

pollensa

There is no point in testing more often than once every three months but if your control is good then six months or annually can be sufficient.

Well said, of course each individual is different, and has different situation, however, keep in mind A1C are expensive, but the medical industry is a big business.......if ones sugars are stable, in my personal opinion not medical opinion, but consistent, continuously, and your doing the best possible, change diet, exercising, and intermittent fasting, this is the ULTIMATE you can do, you cant do better than this, and weight is dropping off..........why would anyone need an H1C monthly three monthly, its a stressful situation, especially if one is traumatised by giving blood I AM ONE FOR EXAMPLE, never had blood test for 33 years, you will say silly person, that's why you did not catch your pre diabetes sooner, no......I was given Medication for high blood pressure, don't know why, as it is 1290/75 and even this morning 105/67 heart 72, but you see I am also a person who when goes into a hospital or surgery get the white coat syndrome, heart pumps up, and so does the figures to 140/80 thankfully my Doc realized this after seeing my MAJORITY of normal blood pressure results!!!!! but damage had been done, I was on Futuron, which I took only sposmadically as and when, and then suddenly changed to INPANAMEDIA, I WAS NOT ASKED IF I was diabetic, or in the family, just prescribed and changed my medication, even though I had no side effects with Futuron, what happened next,I started to gain weight, could not get it off, WHY......on asking my Spanish Husband to read the small print the side effects it states, THIS MEDICATION CAN CAUSE OR WORSEN ANY EXISTING HIGH BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS...

Bascially, a Blood Pressure medication caused my blood sugars to rise, not over cut off, but rise substantially to high normal rather than normal or low normal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember this.....

I take the A1C test with pinch of salt, what can you do other than be prescribed more stronger medications perhaps,...or told to exercise more, and if your doing that already, I FEEL AN ANNUAL TEST IF THAT IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED, but again, I am not a doctor, and this depends on your own Doctor, why don't you put it to him, your results are good, finger tests real blood consistently good, is there any sound reason by you cannot have an A1C annually?

Hope this helps.

Mallorca

Reactions: Squire Fulwood

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first A1c 67 (Fbg 10.3) then a recheck 3 weeks later A1c 67 (Fbg 6.6). A1c didn't show any 'benefits' of my low carb diet but my Fbg did.

Waited 3 months from 2nd A1c. 3rd A1c 26. Next A1c in 6 months.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TBH I think that my body was very shocked at my lifestyle change. Best news of all is that my liver function tests are also now normal. Not sure if that means that I still have a fatty liver or not.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TBH I think that my body was very shocked at my lifestyle change. Best news of all is that my liver function tests are also now normal. Not sure if that means that I still have a fatty liver or not.

Here is a question that I asked my doctor (via email) but he never responded. (He usually answers my emails but he must have thought this one was too trivial.)

Is a low A1C a problem in any way? To my knowledge the bottom end of the normal range is 4.0% (20).

I rather assume that anybody going below that would be having at least the occasional hypos, huh?

(This is not in any way a comment on your own A1C, which is stellar and normal. Among other things, it gives you a great "cushion" should you, for instance, fall ill with a non-diabetes related ailment and you had to neglect strict BG control for a while.)

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a non med taker then the body would sort out a bs going low by liver dumping wouldn't it? Unless of course the person was doing a lot of exercise.

I would have thought that a very low A1c would indicate a health issue.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought that a very low A1c would indicate a health issue.

The main reason I asked my doctor was because my wife was worried about it. She saw my A1C plunging like a stone over the months and wanted to know what would happen if it went below 4.0% (20). I told her I thought my doctor would have said something if that was any kind of issue!

But enquiring minds want to know!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My fatty liver indicators on my blood tests have always been ideal - better than just good, right back as far as I have records for. (2008) and they have also been stable, not too big fluctuations. I think the only way to diagnose a fatty liver is my an MRI scan. Before I lost my weight I did have a large spare tyre round the area where my liver is. (under the bust area) so assume from that I had a fatty liver.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After T2 diagnosis I had the first HbA1c after 3 months the next was 6 months after that and now my next one will be 12 months since the last one and then annually there after

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that I had a fatty liver, as I could not compress my waist and bending over made my ribs hurt - and my waist was huge and more like an equator.
Now my waist is greatly reduced and I can bend over to clean off the bottom of the fridge no problem.