How quickly does prediabetes move to full blown diabetes

cocobee.2017

I dont have the correct answer but I am prediabetic & I was told by my nurse that if I don't make a change ie lose weight, exercise, eat healthy, my Hba1c will increase by a small percentage each year. It also runs in my family so I thought better be safe than sorry. I eat to my meter & exercise now, cutting out sugar & low carb ie bread, potato, rice, pasta and of course cakes, sweets.

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told I'm prediabetic in July after giving birth, since then I've cut out carbs, and sugar. I do eat whole grains, etc quinoa. I haven't started exercising as yet, but I have been eating a lot healthier. And I lost weight. How quickly can I move from prediabetes to diabetes?
It depends a lot of the physiological problems you already have. It also depends a lot of the environment, diet, physical activity and sleep you have (since you have a new born you are experiencing a lot of a more demanding situation). I will suggest you to get for free or paid by yourself a continuous blood glucose monitoring. You should adjust your diet, physical activty, etc in such a manner that your blood glucose sticks to very normal parameters, i.e. have a post-meal curve that does not go above 10mmol ever, that comes back to normal -5 to6 mmol- in 2hrs.
In addition, please, please, monitor your glucose and insulin secretion with an oral glucose tolerance test, perhaps every three months until you achieve normal levels and also reduced the amount of insulin your body needs to achieve them.

No matter what guidelines you follow, NICE, this forum´s book, Dr Cavan´s book, Dr Mosley book, etc. You should tailor everything to your particular condition within one or two months. There is nothing magic on whole grains, or high fat diet per se. It has to work for you.

Had I done that when I was prediabetes, I might have never developed the illness. Mine went super fast, in less than a year. Physicians thought it was enough to check HbA1c and fasting glucose. well, yes, to get to know when becomes full diabetes.

Nowadays, I would pay thousands of pounds to come back to that year, and would not hesitate to pay out of my own pocket to monitor my lifestyle and tweak it until all work as normal.

Obviously, if you are overweight, you might need to shed a few pounds -but far easy if you are breastfeeding-. That takes away lots of calories from you :). Just keep a supernutritios diet. I know it would be a challenge, but the sooner your adapt your baby to sleep thorugh the night, the better for you and for her-him. Ask your midwife about that, perhaps at 6 months it would be old enough to go all the night without breastfeeding. There is nothing cruel for a few nights of crying while adjusting to not breastfeeding, it will have to happen.

For your baby and for yourself, adjust your lifestyle until it works for you two :)