How Rude is Your GP?

Joshman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am FUMING!! .....before I had diabetes, I rarely visited the doctors. In the last couple of months since "joining the club", I've had several appointments, at the same surgery but not always with the same doctor. It has been a real eye-opener.

As some of you may already know, I've been suffering from constipation since starting on Simvastatin. I'd mentioned it before but the GP ruled out Simvastatin as the cause. It got to the point I where I just stopped taking it and within a couple of days things got back to normal. So I made an appointment to discuss this with a doctor. I'd recently had some blood tests done and at the time the nurse said she'd phone me with the results but she never did. I thought while I'm at the doctors, I'll ask him about that too. I've also recently noticed if I bend/squat down to pick something up, I feel really dizzy as I stand back up, almost as if I'm going to pass out. So, it made sense to bring that up while I was there.

It's quite difficult to make an appointment. You have to ring in the morning, but it'll be continually engaged for about half an hour. You then get through but are immediately put on hold for about 5 minutes before finally a receptionist informs you that all the appointments are gone and to try again tomorrow. So once you are able to secure an appointment, you do feel like you want to be able to make the most of it.

I had an appointment today. Discussed the Simvastatin with the doctor and he suggested starting off on the lowest dose available and building it up gradually to see how I get on. Then I mentioned the blood tests. He had a look and said everything was fine. I asked for the readings but he only gave me a couple. I asked if I could have a print-out. He looked quite irritated by this and said to ask the receptionist. I then went on to mention the dizziness. He seemed even more irritated but said to try taking my blood pressure tablet, Losartan, at night instead of in the morning. I then thought of something else but before I could ask, he held his hand up and said "We have a one problem, one consultation policy here. You've asked three questions. I don't want to seem rude but I have patients waiting for me" and with that I was out the door!!

I was stunned at the time but now I'm just angry. How can they talk to people like that? Finding out I was diabetic was a real shocker, I've struggled to come to terms with it. I'm also determined to control it and I've got lots of questions. Yet time and time again my GPs make me feel like I'm somehow inconveniencing them.

I'm going to put in a complaint but part of me's worried that they'll be even more awkward towards me in the future. Has anyone ever complained about their doctor? If so, how did it work out in the end?

Thanks
Josh

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
How awful! Doesn't give you confidence, does it? I suggest you look for a new Dr - you could ask other people, or local chemists for their opinions.

I had a Dr who, if you went in with a suspected problem, he always said it was something else. The last straw was a hernia - which he diagnosed as piles & prescribed 5 pints a day.

A friend has been poorly for a year, & has undergone lots of hospital tests. His Dr always assured him there was nothing wrong - the tests were negative. Last week he got a print-out of his blood tests - he had asked (at my suggestion) the GFR reading which is a measure of the kidney function. Dr told him it was OK but did give him the printout - dated March. GFR=16 which is chronic kidney disease. He now need dialysis. A competent interpretation of the tests a year ago might have enabled medication & diet to tackle his condition.

Our present Dr is excellent - he has the printout ready to discuss - & a consultation can overrun if there are lots of questions.

A competent Dr will look at your collection of symptoms - they should treat the patient, not individual symptoms.

recyclequeen

hi there

i had the same problem with my surgery, they are still arguing with me as to whether they are going to put my test strips and lancets on my prescription. they say i don't need to test, as i am diet only, but i test because it helps me with what i eat, i know what makes my blood sugar rise or drop.

also as i am also epileptic, i had one of the doctors say after i had had a seizure, oh its ok you won't have another one, two days later i had another seizure.

i complained to the practice manager, and it has become better since then,although i have not encountered the diabetic nurse since my complain, and i have an appointment in two weeks time, so we will see

take it further and make a complaint, you have the right to a proper service

angie

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery has a notice asking patients to make a double appointment if they have more than one question for the doctor !

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
im very lucky, i csn get an appointment the same day i phone, and our doctor keeps you for as long as it takes,and never makes you feel as though i am wasting there time,If i was you id complain i was under the impression that GPs are there to help, it was extremely rude .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Josh,

Rather than make a complaint, which may/may not resolve your issues, why don't you try changing gp practises.

Provided you have access to a car or public transport, look around for practises maybe outside your area that are taking in new patients, seems a drastic step to take, but the surgery you describe sounds either over-worked or totally dis-organised. There is no excuse for rudeness, and you certainly don't need this coming from someone such as a family gp.

Regards

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try contacting your PCT or local PALS group.
Hana

iHs

Joshman

You might find that all the GP practices in your area have the same procedure for seeing patients. What you have stated, sadly was in place a while ago but then got relaxed. Looks like its back on the cards again now though.

I would go and enquire within another surgery what their appointment times are like before you make a complaint about your GP's manner. You may well find that its the same wherever you go.

mazbee

If I get what is classed as an emergency appointment, i.e. seeing the dr on the same day as asking for an appointment, I am in and out of the consulting room within 3 minutes, and often feel as if they have not taken my problem seriously. I would not go if I felt well!!!

But I have now come to realise that if I make an appointment with the Dr of my choice, and I can wait up to 4 weeks for one of these appointments, I am given plenty of time to sit and discuss all concerns and aspects of my health, and i actually got a diagnosis of long standing concerns that the other dr's showed no interest in.

My long standing problem was chronic sinusitis, which has now almost cleared, because I had quality time to put all my symptoms together and ask questions.

As Joshman said, the (emergency ) appointments are supposed to be for one problem only.
How can you get diagnosed properly with just one complaint? My chronic sinusitis which I had for about 3 years, (and yes I was a frequent visitor to my dr’s practice) because of the symptoms which were many and varied.

So in future I will be waiting for an appointment rather than being fitted in on the same day.

I feel Dr's need to look at us holistically not one problem at a time.

PickledPepper

Saw my doc for the first time since diagnosis yesterday. I've never had a problem with her before but she seemed to get upset when I insisted on her prescribing me testing strips. She resisted at first claiming it was very expensive. But I showed her a food diary I was keeping with readings from strips I paid for myself. She said "You only need to test yourself 2 times a week."

I replied "Are you kidding, look at how I've identified carbs that spike at one hour but give a within level reading at 2! If I followed that advice I'd still be killing myself with carbs."

She begrudgingly prescribed them and was keen to see me out of the door, claiming she was very busy today (which was nonsense as the waiting room wasn't packed and she has spent more time with me in the past with much more patients waiting).

I'm sure it will ugly again when I ask for a repeat prescription.

rae_j

I have had exactly the same problem with my GP practice but have noticed a worrying trend now. You try to get an appointment and you are offered the same day emergency appointment(but not necessarily the GP who has been treating you). They get you in and out and practically have a prescription written before you sit down. They dont answer your questions or take much notice of you and tell you to come back if you get worse/dont improve. You then try to make an appointment with your usual GP and find that "the book isn't made up yet for the following week", try again in a couple of days. You ring in a couple of days and all appointments have gone.

This brings me on to my real bugbear. You make an appointment (eventually) thinking you have the GP of choice only to find that when you book in you have been sidelined and are with the 'Nurse Practitioner' who knows less about your medical condition than you do and tells you you don't need any treatment but to come back if it gets worse/doesn't improve...so you spend more time going to the surgery but not getting anywhere and then, when you get to your consultant, he says "why didn't you get the GP to prescribe something for you and with your medical conditions you should not be seeing the nurse practitioner" aaaaahhhh...

Dippy3103

I can't fault my GP on that front. Our practice does ask that double appointments are made for more than one issue. A same day emergency appointment is with whoever can squeeze you in. If I want to be choosey about who I see and the time of day then it's about a week or two booking time.
They saw my three year old at the drop of a hat last week, reviewed him the next day and then typed an urgent peadiatric referall whilst we sat in the waiting room.
Can't really fault them.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Joshman. :)

I think that there is a two way ‘understanding’ problem.

The system needs to be clearly explained to patients which should ensure that doctors are not feeling harassed and that patients are not left feeling sidelined and ignored. However that does presuppose that there is a system in place. :roll:

I have no idea what the accepted form is at my own surgery, however my doctor tells me always to book a double appointment. When I book an appointment the receptionist always suspiciously asks me who authorised a double appointment. So I am really not sure what that is all about – I just smile a lot and am very nice to everyone! :?

I feel that in any occupation familiarity can be a problem when the professional assumes a knowledge in the patient that is not there. Even if there is a consciousness that the patient is floundering time constraints can over-ride any concerns, it shouldn’t be so but there it is.

I think that I would be inclined to make a multiplicity of appointments if there were no double appointments and I was only allowed to make an enquiry about one problem at a time; but then I have the time, if not the energy, to do so. I would agree, however, that it is not helpful to just look at individual problems as multiple problems are often interlinked.

There is a great deal of good advice in the posts here and I think that you should at least ask for your surgery’s written code of practice etc before you enquire at any other surgery as you would then have a point of reference for comparison purposes.

:)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I was at the docs not so long ago and having had a heart murmer since an infant and now suffering from various problems, I had done some investigations and wondered why I wasn't thought to be offered perhaps a heart bypass surgery. Before I could even get into any discussion about the pros and cons he just said , and I quote " you can't have an operation you'll die" unquote. I was so gobsmacked I couldn't reply but when dicussing this with my sister who is in the medical proffesion she reminded me that 1. it was not for him to say that and 2.even in that situation it is the anethatist who makes the final decision.
I actually wrote to the practice manager and complained and got a very profuse apology but he did say that he thought perhaps I had misunderstood!?!
Thankfully I was able to see others at the practice who were a lot nicer.

smishra

:D
It depends upon place too .i had horrible experience in Hull till I got my last GP .Most of them are rude and arrogant . They feel that the treatment is free . Some of them may be incompetent to handle pressure and that translates in arrogance.
My GP in SELBY is very good .

mrsmousemat

As a former receptionist I can tell you that doctors are often rude. Even ruder about the patients when they are out of the door.

But by and large the rudest ones were often the best doctors - with few prescription returns from the chemists. The one with the bedside manner was the worst culprit in our surgery.

However, what to do about it?

Changing practrice is easy. But first try and find some other diabetics in your area and ask them which doctor knows about diabetes.

Because it often seems to be an area of ignorance for many doctors. That's why they want you out. Not usually becuase they personally dislike you/are rushed.

RECEPTIONISTS
Although receptionists have the reputation for being rude - ask yourself why they are allowed to be so. The reason is it re-directs any flak from the doctors.. who want to look amenable at all times.

The receptionists are given the dirty job of telling you you can't have an appointment/see your favourite doctor/ not even if you are a personal friend and will report you (that's a common threat) etc etc. by the doctors.

They should know what is going on and if a receptionist is unnecessarily rude, blame the employer and not the employee. If they don't know, then they can't be a very observant doctor, so you are better off with another.

COMPLAINTS
Also - the complaints system- well don't bother. The system is usedto protect the medical practice and NOT serve the patients. Only if the surgery receives numerous complaints about one doctor and want to get rid of him/her anyway will they bother to do anything.

What you can do is to ask to see your medical records. You have to pay. This gives you ammunition but makes them slightly annoyed with you. It could be either a good tactic ...and you get improved service with the information you now hold ... or backfire. So do your research on other doctors and practices first.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I have horrendous GP's. They too have told me to limit my problems etc. However, they in some cases do have to state that their time is limited....I hate having to limit my time, but they are right, in fairness to them and other patients.

Due to our suregry having a different GP every day, we have top book up at least 6 weeks in advance if we need to see one particular GP who is looking after us.

My way is to play the dgame with them....I do book up all my appointments well and truly in advance, often waiting for them to get their diaries on their computers.....however, if I book up appointments like this there are benefits:-

1) I do get to see a regular GP who is trying to look after me but most importantly:
2) I can get an appointment at the end of the morning or afternoon surgery where I do get more time to spend with the GP without being limited to my 10 minute window.
3) If necessary I drop the GP a note prior to my appointment listing exactly what I want to speak to them about.
4) I do take my my husband with me, as then the GP does not shout at me. The GP with a witness there is always so much more curteous with manners.....
5) I also write down what I want to speak to GP about (and I do limit it, as currently I am on weekly appointments), and it keeps me from rambling off at a different tangent.

Not a very good way to have to deal with GP's but one thing is for sure, afte having my GP shouting at me, I will never go again by myself to see my GP. He acts professionally when there is a witness there.

misswonky

Simply change surgery if viable or word of mouth bout good GP. i had excellent one til moved out of catchment area.it took me years to find sympathetic GP. always ask pharmacist bout side effects and ask if any of your meds counteract as GPs can get it wrong or dont know all side effects. x

tezza

i dont see my doc but the practice nurse,as i get more answers off her,doc well youre in and out in 2mins with the ongoing argument why wont you give me lancets ect on persciption,i can not afford to pay for them,he does not believe in self testing.but ive managed to loose 1and1/2 stone,my bloods under control to 6.4,colesterol 4.8 with no help from doctor.on a lesser note so to speak had porridge for brekie and 15mins or so later started to sweat and shake,felt rotten,ive eaten this before for brekie and been ok .has this been a hypo ?wich my doc would tell me NO. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hate rude and arrogant people, what does it take to be polite and courteous to one-another, my old man always said to ''treat people how you want to be treated yourself''.......can't say fairer than that! :)

Nigel