How soon after waking do you eat breakfast?

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I tend to wake early, always have, at around 6 but I don't eat breakfast until about 8 and I find that my BG rises condsiderably in the two hours between waking and eating. I couldn't face breakfast at 6 but was wondering if having something with no carbs early on would make a difference to my BG.

I know about the dawn phenomenon though and was wondering if this was it.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On work days I'm up at 05:40 and have breakfast shortly after 06:00. It doesn't seem to affect my BG readings as they're not that much different at weekends when I probably don't have breakfast until 08:00 or so.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the same as you. I can be up at 6am get a nice reading of 4.5 - 5.5 then I shower/dress - get to work by 8am and have breakfast and it's gone up to over 6. Hope somebody has an answer?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
according to what i know. the liver will give us glucose when we sleeps. if we have too much glycogen in the liver. it will release until it ran out of it.

therefore sometimes the reading got higher after waking up as the liver is using the glycogen. when it used up the glycogen. it will burn the fats stored. until your input of carb produces insulin which help store fat instead of burning it.

therefore we should have more protein and vegetable in the morning instead of carb. as protein will cause insulin spike later than carb.

i dunnoe if the body needs insulin to store fat. if so, taking fats in the morning would make the body burn those fat readily.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
During the week I get up at 7.30 and have my breakfast at 9ish, Fridays I have my breakfast about 6 and the weekends I have my breakfast about 10, any later I wouldn't bother with breakfast.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekdays I'm up around 6 and have my breakfast before getting to work around 7:20. I have a very small snack about 10 and lunch at 12. I need the snack because it's too long a stretch until lunch. I could have my breakfast at work but I have too much work to do so I don't. I usually have a falafel to snack on. I love them and they don't affect my bg much. I get the cauldron brand from tesco. I've noticed they're now making a pack with a bigger size falafel but I buy the smaller ones. Two of those with a salad are a nod to carb for me too. They're nice hot or cold. Good for a snack if out for the day too.
So ... I test when I get up and have my breakfast almost immediately. On the odd occasion I've waited an hour and my reading rises but not by much.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I tend to eat about 2 hours after waking, and have a cooked breakfast.
However I am no longer working so don't have any time pressure.

My routine is really based around a consistent weighing schedule.

Wake up and watch breakfast TV and read the news on Android tablet, drinking coffee.
Retire to bathroom, ...errr...relieve myself of any excess weight taken on board the day before....weigh myself then shower.
Then downstairs for a relaxed breakfast.

Haven't checked for a BG rise because my test kit lives downstairs - I will try to remember to do this.

Cheers

LGC

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it makes sense really, if you don't give your body fuel it will make its own :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
type 1 or 2 will always have some assistance from the liver in the morning just as you suspected with the dawn phenomenon......

you should see some improvement by just putting something in to the stomach, this will tell the liver its help is no longer required....

I have a 15g-20g yoghurt as soon as I get up, purely because it's quick, low carb and low gi, and dairy always seems easier to take early in the morning and at high bg levels....

its worth a shot.......carb free should also work....

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Well....I have to get up and eat straight away .....:/

It's my routine , but I dont wake up before 7 or 8 am