How to know if high or low without a monitor

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Forgot to say, I am on Metformin,Gliclazide,sitagliptin, insulin and lots of other stuff for other ailments, such as depression, High BP, heart problems, strokes, asthma, my toes which are losing their feeling. Its all a nightmare, sometimes i wonder if it is worth even bothering, really cannot be happy living this way.
almost forgot i also have unstable angina for which i have a Glyceryl trinitrate spray

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But i feel worse when low, a lot worse in fact. I have been as high as 30 and just seem to feel very spaced out (i know its not good) i have been under 4 just and felt like i was going to die tuly, as soon as i put a digestive biscuit in my mouth and take the first bite i can feel myself becoming steady and focused again.

Forgot to say, I am on Metformin,Gliclazide,sitagliptin, insulin and lots of other stuff for other ailments, such as depression, High BP, heart problems, strokes, asthma, my toes which are losing their feeling. Its all a nightmare, sometimes i wonder if it is worth even bothering, really cannot be happy living this way.
almost forgot i also have unstable angina for which i have a Glyceryl trinitrate spray

Hi,

I use insulin.
Insulin is the only drug I use "man & boy"..

Guessing BS levels.. Using the "force" is not the way to manage diabetes... Running consistently high for prolonged periods (for instance.) can seem like the "the norm". So when one hits healthy range there is a feeling of unease until one acclimatises..? Think of an alcholic or drug addict with the DTs...
Without your meter at the time of the symptoms, we can't tell what was happening.. (Even your good self has no idea.) more dangerous in my view.. It may have been a hypo? Or your body may have been in the 6mmol area?? I don't know..!

This is by no means a criticism. I sincerely wish you well..

Guessing this stuff don't help the doctors to help you. So keep records of blood, food & meds..

Your on insulin. Had the standard syptoms & did the right thing by treating.. But there was no meter to gauge what was going on..
See your doctor...

After nearly 40 years of using insulin. I still know when I'm low. It wakes me or by day the moment just seem like I smoked a "Jamaican woodbine".. But I still test. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jimmyr

Without a meter, i think the only thing you can do is go by guesstimating your bg allowing for what you have eaten, combined with stress, medication and activity levels. Not ideal!

Multiple meters sounds like a very good suggestion, so there is always one to hand, plus maybe a few experiments to see how many g carb will raise you by a couple of mmol/l - just enough to raise you out of the hypo zone without shooting you silly high.

In my case, that would be 1.5 milk choc digestives, or a packet Walkers crisps, a small swig orange juice, or similar.

As a T2, no bg lowering meds, i am more wary of over treating a hypo, than the hypo itself - but not everyone feels the same.

It does sound like a trip to the doc to talk about other possible causes of your symptoms, and maybe a review of meds, is an excellent idea.
Hi @jimmyr

Without a meter, i think the only thing you can do is go by guesstimating your bg allowing for what you have eaten, combined with stress, medication and activity levels. Not ideal!

Multiple meters sounds like a very good suggestion, so there is always one to hand, plus maybe a few experiments to see how many g carb will raise you by a couple of mmol/l - just enough to raise you out of the hypo zone without shooting you silly high.

In my case, that would be 1.5 milk choc digestives, or a packet Walkers crisps, a small swig orange juice, or similar.

As a T2, no bg lowering meds, i am more wary of over treating a hypo, than the hypo itself - but not everyone feels the same.

It does sound like a trip to the doc to talk about other possible causes of your symptoms, and maybe a review of meds, is an excellent idea.

@Brunneria hello, I'm new here;T2. in your post, you said *as a T2"you don't have bg lowering meds?I take metformin and dapagliflozine. Is there somewhere you could refer me to to explain this?Thanks,Simone

MarkHaZ123

Try having another meter in the car or coat pocket or bag ?
Then if ever forgetful as you say you can be .

Bingo - there will be another meter there for when you need one !

It takes a bit of forward thinking to set this up in place :)
Gets around the problem kind of thing @jimmyr
Iv done this for my insulin. I now keep 1 day acting pen in the kitchen which I use for food in there and also put in my bait box for work.
I also keep a pen next to my van keys and bank cards so that when I go out I take it with me.
The amount of times I forget to take it out with me is crazy so this way I don't forget