How to meet glucose targets

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I have just found out this morning that I am pregnant. I am leaving for a holiday tomorrow so I can't get in to see my diabetes nurse for advice. I was wondering if you could help?

I know the fasting, pre food, 1 hour after food and 2 hour after food targets. I have recently started using a Libre and learned that I was spiking up to around 9-10mmol before my novorapid kicked in and brought me right down. So I have been taking my novorapid 15-45 minutes before I eat depending on the meal and my pre eating levels. However, for instance today I waiting an hour after bolus before eating my breakfast (toast, peanut butter and apple, 55g carbs) and I went up to 10.5mmol. I was quite erratic in readings this morning as I think finding I was pregnant and my doctors messing up my prescription which I needed for my holidays.

So my question is. In addition to pre bolus what is the best way to avoid spikes and keep to the pregnancy targets?

Thank you so so much for any help.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulation @Catherine4188 :)

In verynearly pregnancy highs aren't uncommon. I had weird high sugars for a short while, but then the normal pregnancy hypos started and I had to reduce my insulin.

As you think you've identified stress being a contributing factor in the highs, I'd keep testing lots and correct if necessary rather than up your bolus dose. You're doing the right thing pre-bolusing.

I suggest sticking to similar meals for a few days so you can remove one variable.

Pregnancy is a time of fast changing levels - highs, fierce lows, insulin resistance - so your BS always needs watching. The key to staying within target range is to test lots, correct when necessary, pre bolus as needed, and understand you will get some out of range results. Correct and move on :)

I waited for two or three days before upping doses to make sure there actually was a pattern and a need for an increase (or decrease)

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulation @Catherine4188 :)

In verynearly pregnancy highs aren't uncommon. I had weird high sugars for a short while, but then the normal pregnancy hypos started and I had to reduce my insulin.

As you think you've identified stress being a contributing factor in the highs, I'd keep testing lots and correct if necessary rather than up your bolus dose. You're doing the right thing pre-bolusing.

I suggest sticking to similar meals for a few days so you can remove one variable.

Pregnancy is a time of fast changing levels - highs, fierce lows, insulin resistance - so your BS always needs watching. The key to staying within target range is to test lots, correct when necessary, pre bolus as needed, and understand you will get some out of range results. Correct and move on :)

I waited for two or three days before upping doses to make sure there actually was a pattern and a need for an increase (or decrease)

Great advice. That has settled my nerves.

I corrected today with just one unit as I was sitting high for too long after breakfast (like I say stress was probably the main contributor). It worked to bring me down but took me just into a hypo. Would you advise to correct but if I know it might drop me too low to also have a small amount of long acting carbs with it? Also how long after eating would you say I should correct if I'm high?

Thanks again.

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I was advised in my pregnancy that a breakfast of 20g of carbs is what most type 1s can handle and then follow up with anther 20g as a mid morning snack, otherwise you will find you spike high after a larger breakfast. Xx

Reactions: Catherine4188

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You just couldn't write it. Our daughter has got chickenpox on holiday and we aren't allowed to fly home. Going to be here for 7-10 more days. Our hotel is throwing us out and I will miss my hospital appointment with my diabetes pregnancy team. Stress stress stress!!!!

joanne75

Oh dear I would try not to stress and this will cause your BG to rise, I would advise you to try and contact your DSN or ask someone in the UK to contact them for a bit of advice, if that is not possible just try and keep your BG as close to normal range as possible, how many weeks are you? Hope all is ok :)

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not entirely sure, but I think I'm just 5 weeks. My cycles have been off since my miscarriage. I've contacted my DSN and she is happy with my levels.