How to put on weight

FlowerT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I'm 18 and I was diagnosed with type 1 in December ( so it's quite new to me)
I didn't know I was diabetic for a while, unit I went in to hospital but I have no memory of going in to hospital. Iv lost a lot of weight now ( 2 stone something like that) I want to put it back on but it don't seem to me happing. Will it take a little while? My body went through a lot in hospital at the same time of finding out I was diabetic I had Pneumonia, sepsis and my kidneys stoped working probably ( I was lucky to wake up really) Will the weight come back after my body recovers? Will it never come back?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @FlowerT1 and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you had an awful time in December, but in answer to your question yes the weight will return, some put it on quite quickly where with others it can be a gradual process.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, once any other illness is controlled or gone, the insulin you are now taking finally enables your body to use the carbs you eat rather than burning fat and muscle to get glucose. Carbs are in many ways the main source of weight gain when you have them BUT if you have too many for too long you may put on excess weight so have enough and also fats and proteins as well.