How to tell the DVLA you have been advised not to drive?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly, I hate driving and I don't drive, really more for lack of spacial/geographical awareness than any medical reason. However, I do hold a full clean driving licence. The DVLA were told when I was diagnosed with type 1 and my licence was made subject to the standard five to drive and three year review process. It is now due for review March 2017.

Since August 2015 I have been advised not to drive as it became clear I have lost all hypo awareness. As I don't drive anyway, I didn't do anything with this information. I recently got a referral letter though which was peppered with delightful phrases like "loss of hypo awareness" and "severe unconscious hypoglycaemia" which made me think, come march 2017, I'm unlikely to get my licence renewed. This doesn't really bother me, because I hate driving. What does bother me is that during the review process the DVLA might question why they weren't told of this.

If I'm not driving & I have no intention of driving, do I need to do anything to tell the DVLA that I have been medically advised not to drive? If so, does anyone have any tips on how / where to do this?

I realise I might seem over keen but my profession frowns on anything that could be construed as being less than truthful - so I just want to check I'm doing it all above board.

Thanks for any help.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Shar for the helpful link - I was going round in circles on the "user friendly" .gov.uk site trying to find contact info!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes @Shar67 makes a good point, just surrender your licence if you've no intentions of renewing it next year.