How we used to eat.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just chilling at my mums.

She was remembering the good old days, and how we used to eat.

Growing up, with the food she remembers filling up on after a meal.

Tapioca pudding
Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Macaroni pudding.

She's having a bucket of bread sauce with the chicken now, on top of the potatoes.

Guess the T2 gene didn't come from her then.

Reactions: 9 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Tapioca pudding
Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Macaroni pudding.

She's having a bucket of bread sauce with the chicken now, on top of the potatoes.

I perfectly capable of torturing myself without anyone else's help.
stupid.gif

Reactions: 8 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
She'll be a century old in a few years, if that helps.
Complains she's going deaf as well?

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tapioca pudding, always reminded me of school dinners and frogs spawn :yuck:

Rice pudding was the best, my mum made the best and we would always fight over the burnt skin on the top :)

Reactions: 6 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.

Rice pudding was the best, my mum made the best and we would always fight over the burnt skin on the top :)

I also thought it looked like frog spawn,but I do love semolina hot or cold,rice pudding also a favourite.
I'm hungry now.

image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Approx chronological order from about 1946
Milk from the farm (see milk thread)
Slugs in the lettuce
Weekly grocery order in a cardboard box delivered by Mrs Cox the shopkeeper on her bike
Ration books at the butcher for the weekly sausages
Mum's stock pot, replenished daily with leftover meat & veg for lunchtime soup, but which somehow always tasted of chicken
School that smelled of cabbage :***:
Bread, marge & huge jars of thin jam after games
Ice creams wrapped in paper -- only vanilla, either round in a cone or rectangular in a wafer biscuit sandwich
Boiled sweets in a big jar, two every day after lunch
My first banana which must have happened but I can't remember at all
First bar of chocolate without a ration book (v disappointing really)
Tizer & chocolate Penguins and a Stuyvesant lite in front of the telly (Amos'n'Andy)
Mum's Welsh lamb Sunday roast with mint sauce & thick gravy, followed by seconds of meat, followed by bread & gravy
Beef ditto with horseradish
Baked apple with sultanas, golden syrup & custard
Queen of puddings
Lemon sponge
Stirring the Christmas pud
Migod I've lived a long time

Reactions: 18 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Home made Rice puding and skin! Brings back memories! With loads of jam stirred in!

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My mum and my daughter are stuffing in a treacle syrup sponge now.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Approx chronological order from about 1946
Milk from the farm (see milk thread)
Slugs in the lettuce
Weekly grocery order in a cardboard box delivered by Mrs Cox the shopkeeper on her bike
Ration books at the butcher for the weekly sausages
Mum's stock pot, replenished daily with leftover meat & veg for lunchtime soup, but which somehow always tasted of chicken
School that smelled of cabbage :***:
Bread, marge & huge jars of thin jam after games
Ice creams wrapped in paper -- only vanilla, either round in a cone or rectangular in a wafer biscuit sandwich
Boiled sweets in a big jar, two every day after lunch
My first banana which must have happened but I can't remember at all
First bar of chocolate without a ration book (v disappointing really)
Tizer & chocolate Penguins and a Stuyvesant lite in front of the telly (Amos'n'Andy)
Mum's Welsh lamb Sunday roast with mint sauce & thick gravy, followed by seconds of meat, followed by bread & gravy
Beef ditto with horseradish
Baked apple with sultanas, golden syrup & custard
Queen of puddings
Lemon sponge
Stirring the Christmas pud
Migod I've lived a long time
@DeejayR Please can I have they empty jam jars when your finished. They will pay for Saturday morning matinees and a bag of sweets.

Reactions: 7 people
G

graj0

Tapioca pudding
Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Macaroni pudding.

You were lucky, or maybe not. Puddings didn't exist in our house and although my mother was accused of being at fault for my being underweight and malnourished at the age of 12, I don't recall being starved, quite the opposite.
Personally the state did a much worse job in my diet, I was 6 foot tall and 14 stone at 14 years of age, the school though it was great, I played left prop. Not great at all, except for great weight.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not my puddings
Her puddings, from 80 or 90 year ago.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Tapioca pudding
Rice pudding
Bread pudding
Macaroni pudding.

And don't forget the dollop of sugary strawberry jam! :stop:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back in my school days (mid 70's) they actually promoted healthy eating at my junior school.
replacing crisps for carrots, apple for desert.. That sort of thing...? lol Sweets were a no no. Great you might think..?!!

Now this coincided with my return to school as a newly diagnosed Diabetic. As an 8 year old left to fend for myself back in those days i was told to carry sweets. but only for in case of an "emergency"...
The insulin regime back then meant i also "had to snack" about mid morning/afternoon from memory on a digestive biscuit.
That was my "care plan" back then... Managed by an 8 year old.

Meanwhile the healthy eating promotion evoked a spirit at my school amongst the other kids as what i can only call a sort of "food fascism"... These prospective live saving glucose tabs carried in my pocket for hypo use may well just have been a kilo of heroin...

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The insulin regime back then meant i also "had to snack" about mid morning/afternoon from memory on a digestive biscuit.

...washed down with a glass of weak, tepid orange squash! Those were the days!

...and I was hated by half the class for having the snack (one girl tracked me down on Friends Reunited some twenty years later to confess and apologise)!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Back in my school days (mid 70's) they actually promoted healthy eating at my junior school.
replacing crisps for carrots, apple for desert.. That sort of thing...? lol Sweets were a no no. Great you might think..?!!

Now this coincided with my return to school as a newly diagnosed Diabetic. As an 8 year old left to fend for myself back in those days i was told to carry sweets. but only for in case of an "emergency"...
That was my "care plan" back then... Managed by an 8 year old.

Meanwhile the healthy eating promotion evoked a spirit at my school amongst the other kids as what i can only call a sort of "food fascism"... These prospective live saving glucose tabs carried in my pocket for hypo use may well just have been a kilo of heroin...
O u r school ran a truck shop. I seem to remember wagon wheels were a lot bigger then. But also think most chocolate bars have shrunk.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
O u r school ran a truck shop. I seem to remember wagon wheels were a lot bigger then. But also think most chocolate bars have shrunk.

That's because you've grown @Nuthead - unless you really are 'Booboo' (from Clash of the titans) :wideyed:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's because you've grown @Nuthead - unless you really are 'Booboo' (from Clash of the titans) :wideyed:
Nope. They have shrunk. The size and weights have been reduced more then once over the years. They do this instead of and sometimes as well as putting up the price. Trust me, I'm not a health care professional.
:(

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nope. They have shrunk. The size and weights have been reduced more then once over the years. They do this instead of and sometimes as well as putting up the price. Trust me, I'm not a health care professional.
:(

Shurely a health professional should be glad of such actions? Less sugar and sat fat, PLUS more expensive to put people off buying the rubbish - WOW, a fast-food industry that actually wants to eradicate poor dietary habits! :wacky: