HUGE UPDATE: Dexcom G5 Three-Month Transmitter Battery Life

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, unfortunately the transmitter "Conveniently" began to show the low battery warning at precise dates and times as mentioned above. Consequently, I'm confident in saying that it was not an issue of a low battery, but rather the software designed to shut-off at specific points in time.

Furthermore, my Dexcom Clarity app still shows the serial numbers on both of my transmitters. That leads me to believe it would be much more difficult to somehow extend the battery life of a transmitter.

The only things I can think of that would even have a chance at working (and even then I doubt it) is to trade transmitters with someone else at the 3-month point, or to somehow find a way to erase the transmitter data on your receiver and phone.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The only things I can think of that would even have a chance at working (and even then I doubt it) is to trade transmitters with someone else at the 3-month point, or to somehow find a way to erase the transmitter data on your receiver and phone.
Proper hacking then... Time for the #wearenotwaiting crew to crack the bluetooth code.

Reactions: 2 people

BK1112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Torq, my G5 transmitter should expire sometimes end of April and I have already prepared my father (electrician) for the battery replacement part. If you want, we can make a switch expired for expired and I can see if yours will work on my phone when the batteries are replaced.
Except for the non-rechargeable battery part, the G5 is a great product, especially after the latest app update, with integrated apple watch app.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Torq, my G5 transmitter should expire sometimes end of April and I have already prepared my father (electrician) for the battery replacement part. If you want, we can make a switch expired for expired and I can see if yours will work on my phone when the batteries are replaced.
Except for the non-rechargeable battery part, the G5 is a great product, especially after the latest app update, with integrated apple watch app.
Admittedly, I'm a bit hesitant to share medical supplies and equipment even though I'm sure it would be no big deal.

I do want to be helpful to other people, but for me it's not about the money, and I have no reason to need to extend my transmitter/sensor lives. I'll need to do some research to make sure there aren't any issues with "donating" this sort of thing.

john36m

I am in the US. My G5 transmitter lasted 120 days. I got into an endless loop where the G5 application kept asking me to re-pair my transmitter. It would re-pair, and then ask me to do it again. Before each request, it would tell me I had 2 weeks left. After a number of frustrating attempts, I put in a new transmitter and everything is working fine.

LBear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!
Is anything more happening with this? I would really like to get my Dexcom G5 transmitters to last longer.
Has there been any success with any hacks? I'm considering going back to my Dexcom G4 just for the longer
transmitter life.
Many thanks!