Husband of Diabetic in distress, needs help!!

C

catherinecherub

Jimmac,
Instead of flooding all topics about your views on aspartame, could you please start a separate post.

Heather Eyles

Hi Judy

judy59 said:
Hi Heather

When I get snappy my husband usually says 'go check your blood', which I do and it can be up by 10 points, so he's normally correct and now know's my moods and is very understanding. When I started having hypo's at the end of last year (after being diabetic for 6 years) the moods were completely different, sort of like - not knowing what you were saying or doing, but he could tell the difference straight away and knew it wasn't the same.
I have spoken to a few diabetics about this and they all have moods swings when high and different mood swings when low. So you are right it does happen. Its great being in control of my levels and am at present (since early December 09) always between 4 and 7, lets hope it stays that way eh?

Judy

Thanks for the above, glad its not just me who has the irritability when high bs. Your house sounds just like ours - hubbies on lookout for us.

Up until now (touch wood) I have not had a proper hypo so dont know exactly what my mood would be like (and fingers crossed I never do).

Again thanks to everyone for their help and support on this forum.

Heather x

Senga

I would like to Thank you for the info on false hypos as usual always learning something new about diabetes on this site. I have experienced the problem of running high for a while then have the symptoms of hypo when sugar level is ok so your info on false hypos explains this.
Wallis as other members stated ensure your wife checks her sugar levels when she gets cranky. My hubby and kids all tell me to check levels when I start getting ratty I know I am getting angry for no apparent reason but cannot stop myself, once I check my levels and get my hypo under control I am back to my pleasant self (till next time)

ange-eren

Hiya, i am a type 1 diabetic & i fully understand what you are goin through as i have had 3 failed marriages & im not saying my diabetes was the main cause of them failing but it did put a hell of alot of pressure on my past relationships.When you stated bout helping with housework etc i usually go bananas when the house is untidy but i do tend to go a bit crazy especially when having a hypo as you just cant think straight when ur bm's low.

All i can say to you is just be there for your wife as it's very hard to describe how you are feeling when goin through a hypo or a hyper, as my fiance states to me whenever i get down about my diabetes " When i got engaged to you i got engaged to your diabetes to" Just carry on doing what works best for both of you & i am sure you will be fine, diabetes takes alot of understanding. As long as you listen to her when she needs you & only listen with one ear on a "bad day" you will get there. :)

pymlar

I have read with interest about the anger and temper turns with high blood suger. At the risk of being controversial I wonder how many of you are taking the drugs in the family of gliclazide, most of which I cannot name. I had been taking this diabetic drug since 1999. There is a distinct danger of going hypo with gliclazide.

A side effect of a hypo as I know from my husband and his T1 diabetes is that hypos do cause the body to use the sugar stored in the liver to peserve life and that this gives very high sugar levels and can give the impression that the temper and anger is caused by high blood sugar, when in fact its a hypo where the body uses its own resources until you rectify the situation.

I do not take this drug now, I am in the trial of the new victoza injection for T2 which seems to suit me very well, with very little in the way of side effects so far. As a type 2 diabetic and breast cancer patient I congratulate you for being so supportive. I can tell you personally what this support means, life almost impossible without the help and support of my dear husband of 31 years. I have also been on the other side of the fence as he has been a T1 diabetic for 31 years. I hope that this information may help to throw some light on the anger situation.

Heather Eyles

Hi Pymlar,

pymlar said:
I have read with interest about the anger and temper turns with high blood suger. At the risk of being controversial I wonder how many of you are taking the drugs in the family of gliclazide, most of which I cannot name. I had been taking this diabetic drug since 1999. There is a distinct danger of going hypo with gliclazide.

In answer to the above, I do not take a gliclazide, I am on 2g Metformin and 10mcg Byetta, but don't know about others who get angry when sugar is high.

As ken said earlier, it could be due to false hypos but again, something else for people to think about in the way that the drugs we are on can affect our moods etc.

Cheers

Heather x

Poppetchops

Hi,
From a diabtic point of view I found that meeting and talking to other diabetics really helped me deal with my own feelings of anger and frustration. I was amazed at how many diabetics felt the same as me. Its true that non-diabetics can never understand the frustrations of living with the condition 24/7 but this is not something that you can change. Talking to other diabetics made me feel less isolated in my problems.
It sounds like you are doing all you can to support your partner and let them know how their frustrations affect you too. Not all emotions are diabetes driven either. You sound like an understanding person. Good Luck to both of you!

betic

i had all the anger thing, but was pretty much intolerant anyway...the best thing i did was the gym...its not immediate and takes a couple of weeks, but you get that feel better thing which in itself is great and you also manage to shed all that anger out your system...has worked 100 % for me and i would certainly recommend it for those who are able..our local area has a gym supplement scheme going as well...it took me ages to find it out as the doctor wasnt up on it at all as its run by the local council and you have to be reffered by the doc or nurse...it gives 25 % off over the year so well worth having as my gym costs me 350 per year so saves me about 80 quid odd..but my irritability around my family has now gone due to the gym, and its loads better for them and me...lowered my b/s and made my family happy again..give it a go for a couple of weeks!!
good luck

carbjunky

How lovely of you to seek help in this way - you're not my husband in disguise are you?! Only joking I am 43, not 23.

I used to suffer terrible mood swings until I stabilised my BS's by cutting out processed carbohydrate (bread, pasta) plus rice and potato. I also exercise daily now and that has helped enormously.

I think any major life change can bring on very unsettled emotions. I don't know if you and your wife have children, but maybe she is concerned also about them/being able to have any?

I do hope your wife feels better (and behaves better too!). Encourage her to seek help - wherever and however it best helps her - probably best to stay away from (dis)comfort food and alcohol though!