Hyperglycemia versus hypoglycemia

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Experience has taught me that hyperglycemia may make me sleepy when as high as approximately 12 bg. But hypoglycemia, even as 4.5 and below makes me very ill: heart pain, and all the serious side effects. And so, I avoid hypoglycemia like the plague.

Reactions: Kristin251
S

slaxx

Hyper, around 250+ (430 highest so far): heavy eyelids, very easily irritated, sluggish movements and thoughts. Very dry mouth, needing to drink every few minutes.
Hypo, 70- (27 lowest so far): literally sleepy, like my mind is too tired to think. The lower my BG is, the more confused i get. Shaky to weak limbs and movements. Feeling drunk, balance probs. Dreamlike state.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Experience has taught me that hyperglycemia may make me sleepy when as high as approximately 12 bg. But hypoglycemia, even as 4.5 and below makes me very ill: heart pain, and all the serious side effects. And so, I avoid hypoglycemia like the plague.

Are you taking any medication?

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hyperglycemia makes me sluggish, dry mouth, irritated and easily confused. Hypoglycaemia makes me sleepy, hard to move, very slow decision making process, sweaty and very pale. I got told by my original consultant that you get these "feelings/symptoms" due to the fact that your body is shutting down and moving blood to essential parts in a bid for survival.

Mike

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you taking any medication?

I take glyclazide (now 80mg cut in 4 cuts ) as 40mg -- the one tablet-- hits the heart for some reason; and metformin which is milder.
I hope I replied in the right place.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia makes me sluggish, dry mouth, irritated and easily confused. Hypoglycaemia makes me sleepy, hard to move, very slow decision making process, sweaty and very pale. I got told by my original consultant that you get these "feelings/symptoms" due to the fact that your body is shutting down and moving blood to essential parts in a bid for survival.

Mike

Morpheus, I find hypoglycemia a very dangerousl condiition, especially as diabetes progresses with age. We may be lucky with a new gizmo which reacts on the skin at any time ---Wow. I actually suggested this possible techno-new device to Google about 2 years. ago.