1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hyperthyroid surprise

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Snapsy, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ooooooooooh that's an idea! Might try that!
    :)

2. Snapsy

Awwww, thanks! Really pleased to be back up from 36 as there will be fewer grumbles about hypos when I go to the clinic!

3. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

Hug from a Hashimoto's person cause Hashi people are both hypo and hyper and sometimes don't get frequent enough testing to control whichever situation we are in

For curiosity, why were you given the iodine treatments?

4. Snapsy

Thanks for the hug!

I had the radioiodine in 2001, having been diagnosed with Graves thyrotoxicosis rather too late in the day to avoid becoming very very poorly. Soon after the radioiodine treatment (not connected to the drug, but to the disorder it was treating) I had a psychotic event which put me in hospital for five months. It would have been entirely avoidable had my doctor at the time actually listened to me.

I'm concerned at the moment that I'm slightly overdoing it on the Levothyroxine, while at the same time keen to still be on enough.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Snapsy

A calm update this time - FASTING cholesterol and T4 sample drawn, marked 'urgent'! Bless 'em. Am now treating my caffeine headache with a second cup of tea.

The cholesterol thing - and I know a lot of the things I've read on here about cholesterol have shown me it is not the enemy - but I suspect I may have been throwing caution a little too far into the wind with my cheese, butter and cream consumption.

Am going to be a little less gratuitous in my portions.

Thanks for hugs. You're all smashing.

:happy:

6. Snapsy

UPDATE:

TSH: 1.21 (reference range 0.27 - 4.20)
    'Normal'

T4: 24 (12 -22)
    'Acceptable'.
    Acceptable, despite my symptoms of hyperthyroid. FFS. Can't get to the doctor this week but I need to make an appointment to discuss - what I would like to do is to alter my daily 175mcg Levothyroxine dose to 150mcg/175mcg on alternate days.

My cholesterol results have thrown up some issues I'm wondering about - I've just cut that part from this original post and pasted it into a new thread.

#46 Snapsy, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook