Hypo and work

Twinks

I had a hypo at around 5 this morning when i woke up, bm was 2.6 i got it under control but felt awful so rang in work sick feel better now and concerned about loosing a days pay did i do the right thing?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hypo at around 5 this morning when i woke up, bm was 2.6 i got it under control but felt awful so rang in work sick feel better now and concerned about loosing a days pay did i do the right thing?

I work in an office. I've never had a hypo preventing me getting to work (yet) as mine are usually afternoon/evening. However, in that situation I would have called in to say I was not well but MAY come in later should things improve. So come lunch time if I was feeling bette I would go in.

It's too late now, just relax and ensure there no more hypos today and get back to work tomorrow :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a residential home which are 12 hour shifts, once you ring in sick you cant return until your next shift

That's fair enough! If you considered yourself unable to work then you did the right thing. Especially in an environment such as that

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Twinks

I think part if my problem is i hate ringing in sick this is the first time i'v ever done it where i currently work and the first time since uv been diagnosed as i feel guilty

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a care home and if you feel unable to go in you have to call in sick. You did the right thing because it would have been harder for them to find cover if you'd gone in and then said you couldn't manage. You gave them the chance to find someone before your shift started, which is good :) hope you're feeling better now

Reactions: 2 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also I hate calling in sick too. I did it once in my current job but said I wasn't throwing up or anything so could go in if need be. My manager said it was too short notice so I had to go in. 1 hour into my shift my gp phoned the care home and told me to straight to the surgery and then to the hospital as my morning blood tests had come back showing very high sugar levels. I was diagnosed with type 1 that night and spent 4 days in hospital.

My manager felt awful and I think he now knows that I wouldn't call in sick unless I really was sick lol! He later told me he had thought I wanted to watch the rugby!

Twinks

Lucky my boss knows a lot about diabetes and is very supportive of me and all the other carers are too i just know that when some one rings in sick it can put pressure on the other staff if no cover is found

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Couldn't possibly say as only you know how you were feeling after the hypo Twinks, if you were driving to work and still felt awful then you did the right thing IMHO, better to stay safe than cause mayhem on the roads.

Is it not possible that you could ask to use a days holiday for your absence today?