Hypo at work

Jessika1997

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi im 19 and recently been told I have type one then two weeks later told I have type 2. I'm am talking insulin four times a day and metaformin twice a day. My work colleges understand what's has happened to me and a doctor signed a for note to say I needed to go for break so when I need food and also go for first break but the other day I wasn't allowed to go for dinner until other people had even though I had explained my blood sugars where dropping. I then had my first hypo :( very scary! I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for me on if there's anything I can do about this I have had many people telling me different things :/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jessika1997

Sorry you're having problems. Can you tell us a little more? What job do you do (if you don't mind saying)? What time did you end up going for your break?

Your work has to make 'reasonable adjustments' for you. Did your manager explain why your break/dinner time was changed?

If you're on a basal/bolus insulin regime, you should be able to eat at varying times (within reason) as you get used to how it works. Have you been able to explain about hypos to your manager? Are you able to test your blood sugar regularly?

Sorry for all the questions! I hope you're feeling better after your hypo. Don't let it shake your confidence.

Reactions: Jessika1997

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello:)

You should always carry some simple carbohydrates in your pocket. Something like glucotabs, dextrose tablets, wine gums, jelly babies, etc, etc. This will help bring your BG up if need be. You shouldn't have to rely on eating meals at set times to prevent hypos. This is the reason why basal/bolus regimes are replacing the older mixed insulin ones.

Hypos are horrible but with practice you'll get better at avoiding them.

Try not to worry about it.

Grant

Last edited:

Jessika1997

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies! I am a care assistant working short shifts as I am still getting used to how I can manage my blood sugars at work. I have spoken with my manager and she's said I could go for first break and with her daughter also having diabetes she said she knows how stressful it could be for me as I am still just getting used to this. I asked to go for the break at 12:30 but was told "no" from my team leader as he wanted to go for his first which was wrong as my manager had told him to let me go first. I got my break at 1 which by that time I felt horrible and my bloods still drop after my dinner and where's 3.2. Basically I can't go in to much detail but before I even had diabetes I wasn't treated very nicely in this job and feel I am being bully out of it i went to doctors after this had happened and he advised me getting a new job after explaining the situation and now I am on the sick which for me is very upsetting as I like to work and need the money I earn. I do carry dextrose tablets on me but I had ran out from previous times I had to take them at work when mt blood sugars where dropping when I knew I wouldnt be getting a break soon. Sorry if this hasn't answered your questions I'm just very upset and angry at this situation my heads all over. Thank you both though!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've worked in Care before - it's hard work! Depending on whom you're caring for, there may not be much of a routine so you might find your blood sugar can vary. Test lots and eat something extra if it looks too low. It doesn't have to be at hypo level for you to top up with a little extra carbs. That should help keep you going if there's a delay to your break.

If something was agreed - you having first lunch - and then that was changed, I think you need to speak to your manager and find out what's happening. I get that you've not had a good experience in your job even before being diagnosed with diabetes, but don't let yourself be bullied out of a job.

On a separate note - are you counting carbs and adjusting your insulin to match what you're about to eat? If not, then that's something you could ask about.

Did you have a GAD test to confirm you're not Type 1?

Jessika1997

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am counting carbs and adjusting insulin to suit my meals but I've also been prescribed metaformin as they are trying to get me off insulin. Yes I do think I had that test as I was told I was type 1 then saw my diabetic nurse said results had come back to say I was type 2. I have been to see my manager and she has tried to help me but basically her response was she will try to sort it but she can't do anymore than what she is doing and really think this is the last straw with the company I am working for they are even doing things to effect my health and I cant take them risk anymore of working there. Thank you for your advice you've really helped me!!

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

It's great you're counting carbs. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to adjust to diabetes. It's a big life change, but it does get easier :)