Hypo attacked for the first time, even twice a day

ssyarien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all;
Yesterday, I've got fish & chips for lunch, just ate fish and gave away chips. Unfortunately, around 5 pm I felt so hungry and dizzy, my body's trembling and shaky. I realized that this hypoglycemia symptom as my GP warned me when he prescribed some medicine. I immediately grabbed 2 donuts and sweet soda. Everything back to normal after a few minutes.

I decided to skip dinner because I thought 2 donuts and a can of soda was more than enough carbohydrate for a day. But around 10 pm, this hypo monster struck back, I immediately checked my blood sugar, the meter showed a stunning number 3.61 mmol/dl.

Since it was my first time being attacked by hypo monster, I would highly appreciate any advice about how to deal and prevent this hypo monster to strike back again. I can't imagine if this monster attacks me while I'm driving, that could be fatal.

ssyarien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What medication are you taking?

I've got Metformin 3x500mg (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), Glimepiride (Amaryl) 2x2mg (breakfast and dinner), and saxagliptin (Onglyza) 1x5mg (lunch).

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, that will help those that know about those drugs, help you.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the issue is Glimepiride, if I was you I would go back to the GP with an emergency appointment, tell him/her that you are reducing the carbs you are eating, and getting Hypos. (I was on a drug of the same class as Glimepiride, and decided myself to just stop it before the prescription run out, as I had decided to go "low carbs" and hypos was making that hard. But we can't tell you to ignore what your GP has prescribed as we are not qualified doctors.)

If your GP tells you that you must eat lots of carbs, have a read of http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ then make up your own mind about carbs and any drugs that forces you to eat them.

But you must decide the level of carbs you will eat and keep to it, you can't stop Glimepiride due to Hypos one day, and then have more carbs the next day without your BG going out of control.....

While taking Glimepiride, as to driving, you should check your BG when you set out and every 2hr, if it is below 5, eat some carbs, if below 4, don't drive until it has been over 5 for some time.

Reactions: TIANDB