Type 1 HYPO fix.

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me if Dextro Energy Tablets are suitable to treat hypos?
I'm looking for something that can be used that isn't a food as being a dental nurse I'm not allowed food on me during work hours, I'm having to sneak some Haribo(tiny pack) down my throat in the toilet when I can but I thought chewable tablets would be more discreet and professional.
Thanks in advance..

Scarlett

Reactions: Snapsy

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Under the disability act employers have to make reasonable allowances for diabetics. I would argue that having a hypo treatment with you is reasonable.
Not sure the dextrose tabs are more discrete, they still take dome chewing!
Are you allowed drinks? Full sugar drinks work.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Scarlett91 - oooooh, tricky - what I do is decant Glucotabs (round, raspberry flavoured) into an old test strip canister - it's struck me that it might be an option for you as it looks more medical than consumable..... And they're very very obviously 'tablets' with - in this case - no obvious 'foodie' packaging.

I agree with @Diakat that it is a reasonable expectation to be permitted access to (potentially lifesaving) hypo treatments!

Here's a pic - forgive the pocket lint on the canister. Needs a wipe......

image.jpeg

Reactions: Juicyj

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Under the disability act employers have to make reasonable allowances for diabetics. I would argue that having a hypo treatment with you is reasonable.
Not sure the dextrose tabs are more discrete, they still take dome chewing!
Are you allowed drinks? Full sugar drinks work.
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately they aren't being great and I'm going through the motions of getting them to understand and give me allowances. My employers couldn't really care less.
I've tried orange juice which works well but this is almost frowned upon seeing as I work in a dental practice. Tablets aren't exactly completely discreet but thought it may be better than obvious sugar. Do you know much about glucose tablets?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Scarlett91 . One of my go to hypo treatments is glucose powder in orange cordial.
You can buy a large packet of glucose powder from Holland and Barrett .
If you was to put a few spoons in water, in a bottle, it would look clear just like water ( might need a shake before using ). May not taste great but would definitely stave off low blood sugar. Only an idea.
. As pointed out your employer should make allowances . Good luck.

Reactions: Scarlett91

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I don't know much about gluco tabs, I have used dextrose but tend to stick to jelly babies.
@therower has a great idea there if your employer is all huffy about teeth. But my dentist tends to tell me he'd rather see me alive! Although he may be hoping that I'll spend a fortune with him fixing any damage I do.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me if Dextro Energy Tablets are suitable to treat hypos?
I'm looking for something that can be used that isn't a food as being a dental nurse I'm not allowed food on me during work hours, I'm having to sneak some Haribo(tiny pack) down my throat in the toilet when I can but I thought chewable tablets would be more discreet and professional.
Thanks in advance..

Scarlett

Dextrotabs are a perfectly suitable hypo treatment, they're what I use as advised and approved by various DSNs and endocrinologists.

Your employers are obliged, under the Equality Act 2010 to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your disability. Type 1 is a disability for the equality act as without treatment it would have a significant adverse impact on your ability to conduct day to day activities - you'd be dead. Diabetes UK have a good advocacy pack explaining you rights in the workplace - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-09/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016_0.pdf - that might be worth a read if your employer is being awkward.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Scarlett91 ,

Agree with all comments. "Reasonable adjustment" in the work place..
Just clean yer teeth after you've come back up from the hypo....? Thus promoting good dental hygiene. (I didn't need to tell you that.)

You can use this catchphrase..

Up from the low? Brush like a pro! :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Dextrose tablets, they are small and dissolve quickly. I always have a few in my pocket. I'm sure few would notice you having the odd tablet. Your employer MUST take account of your diabetes medical needs; does he really want to risk ending-up with an employment tribunal or worse?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you excuse yourself for a bathroom break and chomp on one without them knowing ? Ridiculous we have to work around this sort of thing.

The great thing about gluctabs is you know EXACTLY how many carbs ar in them and can calculate appropriately so you don't over correct.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Scarlett91 it might be a good idea to ask your DSN or consultant for a letter explaining why it is absolutely imperative that you have access to glucose at all times. A hypo is a medical emergency. Imagine if your employers had the same rule for Epipens and asthma inhalers! Or perhaps they do?

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scarlett91 it might be a good idea to ask your DSN or consultant for a letter explaining why it is absolutely imperative that you have access to glucose at all times. A hypo is a medical emergency. Imagine if your employers had the same rule for Epipens and asthma inhalers! Or perhaps they do?
They have already asked for a medical report to see whether I am still fit to work as a dental nurse within their practice. As you can imagine they aren't very understanding. I am more than cable of nursing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Scarlett91

I use glucogel which is a single tube with a twist off cap, you literally swallow the entire tube straight down and one tube is 10g of glucose, I get mine on prescription, this should be fine to use.

Type 1’s perform many job roles in society we even have type 1 air pilots, sadly I think it is lack of knowledge that causes ignorance in the workplace so it would be wise to get them clued up - you have rights as @catapillar has mentioned so don’t feel afraid of approaching them about this.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your Employer has a requirement to ensure the safety of all it's staff - they are breaking the law by not allowing you to have hypo treatment on you at all times.

I get the feeling that you require hypo treatment frequently? Why else would they be questioning you fitness to work? :confused:

Yes you should be allowed to carry and treat a hypo with whatever you find works best, but should you be hypoing that much?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get the feeling that you require hypo treatment frequently? Why else would they be questioning you fitness to work? :confused:

Yes you should be allowed to carry and treat a hypo with whatever you find works best, but should you be hypoing that much?

I think the OP is recently diagnosed so could be that they are going through the honeymoon. :)

Glucojuice and Glucotabs are my go to hypo treatments. Usually the tabs unless I need it to work really fast as they can't be mistaken for sweets, are 4g each and work rapidly. They're not the cheapest thing going but I don't use them everyday and can be bought in bulk (decant a bigger tub into a smaller tube for carrying around).

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As above with glucotabs, small tube holds about 10 tabs, and you can buy the 50 tab tubs in packs of 6 at quite reasonable price on-line.

thanks for the heads up about newly diagnosed/honeymooning - still - if Scarlet is hypoing lots she needs to speak to her team and tweak her medication.

D

Deleted Account

I use Glucotabs as they are easy to carry and, as others have said, you know how much you have taken.

I have another take on this though - when I have a hypo, I'm not usually in a good way to work: I need a short rest with my glucotabs. Rather than worrying about snacking on sugar whilst with patients, should your employer be providing an environment where you can recover from your hypo without, potentially, putting your patients at risk?

This may sound a tad extreme but as others have mentioned, under the DDA, your employer has an obligation to make reasonable adjustment.

Clearly, your employer knows very little about diabetes (which is surprising as tooth decay is one symptom of undiagnosed diabetes) as well as the DDA so maybe you need to emphasise that a hypo should be an exception that you have to have a way of dealing with rather than something that will deal with every day.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could put lemonade in a water bottle. Looks like water. Just be careful not to treat it like water or your blood sugar will go haywire.

(Hear hear to the sentiments about your employer.)

John lindsay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should not have hypos if you are well controlled therefore I suggest that you get the
nurse to sort out your meds and diet........easy to say! I have been told that glilazide promotes hypos?

Good luck,

John

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not have hypos if you are well controlled therefore I suggest that you get the
nurse to sort out your meds and diet........easy to say! I have been told that glilazide promotes hypos?

Good luck,

John
Hi John I was only diagnosed as type 1 5 weeks ago so still fairly new to it all. I'm due to see the nurse again in November and she did explain I may be in the honey mood period for a while.