Hypo treatments

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’m roughly 7-8 weeks pregnant!

I need any alternative hypo treatments! I used to use lucazade which I didn’t mind, but now since lucazade has changed I have to use jelly babies!

For example we do a mile walk each day at school and before my sugar was 5.2, usually is just have had a mouthful of lucazade and put my temporary basal on and it’s be fine! Now I have to shove 3-4 jelly babies on my face that o don’t want!! As a temp basal alone just doesn’t cut it when pregnant!

Are there any drinks that are still sugary enough to do the job? I can’t eat another jelly baby

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @Tweety88 Get some small cartons of apple or orange juice, both are quick acting and easy to carry/consume, you can get a multipack from the supermarket - or get glucotabs or dextrose, again both are quick and easy to transport :)

D

Deleted Account

I find my temporary basal does not cut it unless I put it on an hour before I expect my BG to fall (or rise).
This is not really surprising as many people take their bolus dose 30 minutes before they eat.
My problem is I don't always know I am going to the gym an hour beforehand - when I think I am, I put a temporary bolus on and then, as I am about to leave the house and the bolus reduction starts to take affect, I get an urgent work call and my gym gets put on hold as my BG starts to rise.
I assume your time to walk to school is pretty consistent. So, have you tried reducing your bolus earlier?

Reactions: gvintagedrken

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Capri-sun was what I used to have when pregnant. 20g of carb in a carton.
Also used to have orange juice cartons too, I think they’re about the same.

Also agree with setting the temp basal earlier than when you actually need it.

Good luck and congratulations!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not being pregnant (and no chance of it!) and not being a pump user I thought I'd comment! :rolleyes:

Glucotabs are my go to hypo fix, I always have a small tube on them in my pocket but you can buy in bulk 6x50 tablets bottles that's makes them cheap overall. They don't go off and are fairly clean - quick to correct as well.

But I also wanted to say that perhaps you should use your temporary basal rate well before the walk as Helen has alluded to, and as it's something that's pretty regimental easy to plan ahead for.

Good luck with the pregnancy - congratulation!

Reactions: gvintagedrken

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I was told temp basal for exercise is the amount of time you exercise, same before, same after so if you do 30 mins then put it on 30 mins before, during and 30 mins after. Also consider if you're reducing by the right amount and if your actual basal is correct. I find my insulin needs are lower in the first trimester. Good luck in sorting this out.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’m roughly 7-8 weeks pregnant!

I need any alternative hypo treatments! I used to use lucazade which I didn’t mind, but now since lucazade has changed I have to use jelly babies!

For example we do a mile walk each day at school and before my sugar was 5.2, usually is just have had a mouthful of lucazade and put my temporary basal on and it’s be fine! Now I have to shove 3-4 jelly babies on my face that o don’t want!! As a temp basal alone just doesn’t cut it when pregnant!

Are there any drinks that are still sugary enough to do the job? I can’t eat another jelly baby

I have started using gluco juice. Dearer, but small so easier to carry around

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the gluco juices when I was pregnant because they were small and I could just shot one or two and carry multiples without them being too bulky (I had a lot of hypos). Hospital gave me some to try before I purchased lots (might be worth asking?). Personally found lemon and lime to be a more tolerable flavour! X

Reactions: myarnton1

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gluco tabs tweety, easily fit in pocket..2 or 3 should do the trick

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Glucotabs are awesome! They're big enough so you only need 2 or 3, easily chewed, come in resealable tubes so they don't break/spill all over your pockets/handbag, and you can also by the refill tubs of 50.