Hypo type reaction

bluelybell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, I'm on 1g of metformin/day. Been low carb for about 6 weeks. Have been unwell with asthma issues over the last couple of weeks, was on a 5 day course of steroids over last weekend, bg was higher than normal but only up to 10 and 11 thankfully and was anticipated. Asthma's not right again today and been in pain the majority of the day but nothing particularly new there.

Not had many carbs today, somewhere around 10g, had a double sausage and egg mcmuffin, less the muffin for breakfast, with some carrot sticks. Went shopping etc came home, about 1.30pm had a couple of slices coconut bread with butter and marmite and a couple of babybels, then about 4pm started feeling queasy, so tested 6.7, steadily feeling worse so tested again after washing my hands and tested 5.7 felt mentally foggy and really not great, partner told me I should have a choc bar (haven't had a choc bar for over a month, didn't really want one either) end up having 3 Haribo sweets, as soon as the first one hit I started feeling a lot less queasy, so had the other 2, then followed with a Lidl protein roll with butter and marmite.

Not feeling 100% but feeling significantly better.

I wasn't anywhere close to hypo range but felt seriously unwell.

My partner thinks it's related to the amount of pain and possibly the asthma which kind of makes sense but I have been intermittently fasting during the week and not felt like this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bluelybell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly wasn't a hypo. That is under 4. It sounds like what is known as a false hypo, which is what can happen when your body is still getting used to lower levels. Your body has been used to your "lows" being a lot higher than they are now, so reacts by creating these symptoms. Keep up the low carb and your body will soon adjust. The very LAST thing you should do is treat this by eating sweets or chocolate etc. That will just make your levels rise and will make these false hypos happen more frequently. Allow your body to adjust to having lower levels. A cup of tea would probably have been sufficient, or half a Lidl roll.
Don't worry, it won't last long. :)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi guys, I'm on 1g of metformin/day. Been low carb for about 6 weeks. Have been unwell with asthma issues over the last couple of weeks, was on a 5 day course of steroids over last weekend, bg was higher than normal but only up to 10 and 11 thankfully and was anticipated. Asthma's not right again today and been in pain the majority of the day but nothing particularly new there.

Not had many carbs today, somewhere around 10g, had a double sausage and egg mcmuffin, less the muffin for breakfast, with some carrot sticks. Went shopping etc came home, about 1.30pm had a couple of slices coconut bread with butter and marmite and a couple of babybels, then about 4pm started feeling queasy, so tested 6.7, steadily feeling worse so tested again after washing my hands and tested 5.7 felt mentally foggy and really not great, partner told me I should have a choc bar (haven't had a choc bar for over a month, didn't really want one either) end up having 3 Haribo sweets, as soon as the first one hit I started feeling a lot less queasy, so had the other 2, then followed with a Lidl protein roll with butter and marmite.

Not feeling 100% but feeling significantly better.

I wasn't anywhere close to hypo range but felt seriously unwell.

My partner thinks it's related to the amount of pain and possibly the asthma which kind of makes sense but I have been intermittently fasting during the week and not felt like this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bluelybell
Watch your bgl's carefully while on streroids as they can bounce you around the scale. Asthma probably won't help either. Take care of yourself and get well soon. We are with you all the way.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi I agree asthma does make a difference to bg levels twice ive been in hospital in the last year with a asthma attack first time they managed to keep me on my usual injections second time I had to be put on an insulin drip to bring bgs down if you still feel unwell I'd get checked out by your doctor better to be safe then sorry.hope all goes well for you and you feel better soon good luck.