hypoglycaemia

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think your anxiety is playing too much with your mind!
It is not wrong to have doubts, but to overcome the fears you have to face them, talk about them and battle through, I know these thoughts, I have had them all!
You have started to cope with the why and when, now to tackle the how and achieve a better life for you. But it will take time.
The six hour results are brilliant and that is a start.
That is called intermittent fasting.
When you do this, your body is not triggered to create insulin and therefore your body is in a more normal of how your blood is composed from your hormones.
I do a lot of intermittent fasting!
It does really help and doing low carb when not fasting really stabilizes my blood glucose levels. The amount of food I require has diminished and I am never hungry!

What is a normal person?
I'm not!
It takes a lot to get your thoughts around why you are different from others, but we are all individuals, just like our fingerprints.
I have convinced myself that it is ok to be a little bit more weird than to be normal.
In fact, I'm special! (Ha!)

I really like your sentence, 'love is letting go of fear!' So true!
Can you take that and bring yourself to work on that sentiment and be brave enough to see the change through and have the will power to succeed in getting your health back?

Best wishes.

I saw this information in google

How to Avoid Reactive Hypoglycemia

In the short term, when first starting a low carb diet, eating more frequently may help.

Long term, the best way to avoid reactive hypoglycemia is to permanently reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat on a daily basis.

This will eventually lower your daily blood sugar and circulating insulin. Once insulin returns to normal levels, your body can then access its fat stores, and quickly switch over to burning fat for fuel when you go without a meal or two.

During the first phases of eating a lower carb, ketogenic diet, it’s a good idea to make sure you eat every 3-4 hours. Until you can retrain your body to burn fat, don’t try to go for more than 4 hours without food.

Paradoxically, some people who experience chronic hypoglycemic reactions report that waiting 5-6 hours before the next meal actually helps reduce the reactions.

Be aware that mainstream physicians aren’t generally knowledgeable about this condition because it is rooted in nutritional causes. Doctors aren’t taught about the power of nutrition, and so he or she may minimize your concerns about it.

But if you having these reactions, it indicates you are becoming insulin resistant, and that can mean you are on a path to diabetes, even if your fasting blood sugar is normal.

You may have to reduce your carbohydrate consumption slowly over a longer period of time to minimize these reactions, but eventually, by continuing to consume a diet lower in high carb foods, you should be able to avoid reactive hypoglycemia completely.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

In the short term, when first starting a low carb diet, eating more frequently may help.

Long term, the best way to avoid reactive hypoglycemia is to permanently reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat on a daily basis.

This will eventually lower your daily blood sugar and circulating insulin. Once insulin returns to normal levels, your body can then access its fat stores, and quickly switch over to burning fat for fuel when you go without a meal or two.

During the first phases of eating a lower carb, ketogenic diet, it’s a good idea to make sure you eat every 3-4 hours. Until you can retrain your body to burn fat, don’t try to go for more than 4 hours without food.

Paradoxically, some people who experience chronic hypoglycemic reactions report that waiting 5-6 hours before the next meal actually helps reduce the reactions.

Be aware that mainstream physicians aren’t generally knowledgeable about this condition because it is rooted in nutritional causes. Doctors aren’t taught about the power of nutrition, and so he or she may minimize your concerns about it.

But if you having these reactions, it indicates you are becoming insulin resistant, and that can mean you are on a path to diabetes, even if your fasting blood sugar is normal.

You may have to reduce your carbohydrate consumption slowly over a longer period of time to minimize these reactions, but eventually, by continuing to consume a diet lower in high carb foods, you should be able to avoid reactive hypoglycemia completely.

Other than our recommendations, that is the best information I have seen from a different website.
This is me!
I am in permanent ketosis, all the time, I haven't had a hypo in over three years and that was a eOGTT test.
I use intermittent fasting and very low carb ketogenic diet.

You do need to eat frequently at the beginning of going very low, so that your body adjusts and adapts without too much carb flu as it is called.

It's really good that you have began to realise that this can be done and be controlled.

Best wishes.

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Other than our recommendations, that is the best information I have seen from a different website.
This is me!
I am in permanent ketosis, all the time, I haven't had a hypo in over three years and that was a eOGTT test.

You do need to eat frequently at the beginning of going very low, so that your body adjusts and adapts without too much carb flu as it is called.

It's really good that you have began to realise that this can be done and be controlled.

Best wishes.

Really it's very hard diet

Now I'm trying to understand it and how my body responds to different foods

Is there one especially meal in a week that I can enjoy it ..

Like some diets you have one meal in week choice what you want.

Also can I taste little sugar in my tea :)

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
This is me!

Best wishes.

I now I asked you before.. but can I do resistance exercises or I just walk until my insulin balances?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree with @Lamont D that this is good information.

could you give us a link to the website where you found it? Thanks!

Reactions: Lamont D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really it's very hard diet

Now I'm trying to understand it and how my body responds to different foods

Is there one especially meal in a week that I can enjoy it ..

Like some diets you have one meal in week choice what you want.

Also can I taste little sugar in my tea :)

I think you need to give yourself time to adjust to low carbing as a way of eating.
I love it, and I wouldn't want to go back to carbs even if I could.
It took a while for me to feel this way, because I had to learn about new foods and new flavours and combinations, but all those old foods like bread and rice seem very boring to me now.
I love the food I eat, and think it is healthier and more flavourfull than 'normal' food.

Can you try a sweetener in your tea? I know it is very difficult to stop taking sugar in tea and coffee, but after a few weeks you can't believe you ever liked it that sickly sweet.

Reactions: Ayed447_

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I agree with @Lamont D that this is good information.

could you give us a link to the website where you found it? Thanks!

Is there away to calculate the carbs in food, fruits.. is oranges good or bad ..

Also, what you now about stem cell transplant .. in my country there is one journalist who had T1 he wrote an article tiling he's story with T1 and how they cute his foot due to the complications of diabetes

He went to India to do the transplant .. now he completed 10 months without insulin .. and his blood sugar almost normal

I think he said to himself what the heck .. I will not continue living like this anymore .. he put his life in risk

mark3888

I have a question..

When I diagnosed before 2 years .. I never had this reaction ever .. could it by my body was adjusting because I noticed it when I eat from macdonald more than one week?

In those years I I was eating too many carbs it didn't effect me until I eat from macdonald !?

I don't now what happening .. and what to do

Today i eat lunch at 1PM I was fine for 6 Hours nothing happened only I felt my head was tight maybe its stress

This is most likely a false hypo ...
It says your body is working perfectly and it is not dangerous - just quite alarming!
The fast release sugars cause a signal telling your liver to convert the sugars to fat.
As soon as the digestion process slows down your sugars dip.
Drinking a glass or 2 or water usually settles the sensation.
Avoiding the foods causing the problem and your energy shape and long acting sugars will all improve

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It says your body is working perfectly and it is not dangerous - just quite alarming!
The fast release sugars cause a signal telling your liver to convert the sugars to fat.
Avoiding the foods causing the problem and your energy shape and long acting sugars will all improve

Thanks Mark for replying..

I'll lower the crabs .. and eat 3-4hrs

For the last 2 days when I weak up in the morning I check my BG and it's 62 if I wait for 5Ms it rises to 72

I walked those 2 days more then 50M/day

Im confused I cant control it

This morning I I check it it was 72
I I had to eggs and a glass of milk
Then walked 45 m
After 2 hrs its 72

Then I had snack
Glass tea with almonds and apple
After 1 Hr it 92

There is something wrong I feel dizzy often and in the bed time I felt it dropped

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there away to calculate the carbs in food, fruits.. is oranges good or bad ..

Also, what you now about stem cell transplant .. in my country there is one journalist who had T1 he wrote an article tiling he's story with T1 and how they cute his foot due to the complications of diabetes

He went to India to do the transplant .. now he completed 10 months without insulin .. and his blood sugar almost normal

I think he said to himself what the heck .. I will not continue living like this anymore .. he put his life in risk

I think you might be confused. There is currently no stem cell cure for type 1 diabetes. I don't think they can currently get stem cells to grow into functioning beta cells that work when put into a human pancreas. Then there is the problem that type 1 is an autimmune disease, the immune system in a type 1 diabetic has decided beta cells must die, if you put in stem cell grown beta cell the immune system will just kill those new ones off, just as the immune system has killed off the original beta cells. They are working on encapsulating islets to protect from autoimmune attack, but that's not even in trials yet, just in development, and it isn't stem cell grown beta cells but islets from pigs I think.

A pancreas transplant can "cure" type 1. But that needs a pancreas from a cadaver, a surgery that has 2% mortality risk and 8% risk of serious complications, life time immunosuppressants that increase your risk of skin cancer and kidney failure and once you've had the pancreas transplant there's no guarantee on whether it will work and allow a type 1 to come off insulin (I think they just don't work for ~15% of recipients), or, if it works, how long it will continue working for.

Reactive hypoglycaemia isn't in anyway connected to type 1 diabetes. No way knows what causes type 1, having reactive hypoglycaemia doesn't increase your risk of type 1. The risk for the average person of getting type 1 is ~0.6% based upon there being 64.1million people in the uk and only 400,000 type 1 diabetics. There are certain things that can increase your risk of type 1, like having a close relative with type 1, but having reactive hypoglycaemia isn't one of those things. Type 1 diabetics can't have reactive hypoglycaemia because they don't have endogenous insulin production.

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think you might be confused. There is currently no stem cell cure for type 1 diabetes. I don't think they can currently get stem cells to grow into functioning beta cells that work when put into a human pancreas. Then there is the problem that type 1 is an autimmune disease, the immune system in a type 1 diabetic has decided beta cells must die, if you put in stem cell grown beta cell the immune system will just kill those new ones off, just as the immune system has killed off the original beta cells. They are working on encapsulating islets to protect from autoimmune attack, but that's not even in trials yet, just in development, and it isn't stem cell grown beta cells but islets from pigs I think.

A pancreas transplant can "cure" type 1. But that needs a pancreas from a cadaver, a surgery that has 2% mortality risk and 8% risk of serious complications, life time immunosuppressants that increase your risk of skin cancer and kidney failure and once you've had the pancreas transplant there's no guarantee on whether it will work and allow a type 1 to come off insulin (I think they just don't work for ~15% of recipients), or, if it works, how long it will continue working for.

Reactive hypoglycaemia isn't in anyway connected to type 1 diabetes. No way knows what causes type 1, having reactive hypoglycaemia doesn't increase your risk of type 1. The risk for the average person of getting type 1 is ~0.6% based upon there being 64.1million people in the uk and only 400,000 type 1 diabetics. There are certain things that can increase your risk of type 1, like having a close relative with type 1, but having reactive hypoglycaemia isn't one of those things. Type 1 diabetics can't have reactive hypoglycaemia because they don't have endogenous insulin production.

Thanks for replying..

For stem cells I'm just tilling the story of the guy how did it in India .. I think he put himself in high risk that all

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ayed has a diagnosis of Reactive Hypoglycaemia, and is just starting to move to a low carb way of eating, so while false hypos are a possibility, I think it would be unwise to assume anything is a false hypo unless Ayed has used his test meter and got the numbers to prove it.

@Ayed447_ are you carrying something at all times to treat a hypo, if your numbers do go too low?

Ayed447_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Ayed has a diagnosis of Reactive Hypoglycaemia, and is just starting to move to a low carb way of eating, so while false hypos are a possibility, I think it would be unwise to assume anything is a false hypo unless Ayed has used his test meter and got the numbers to prove it.

@Ayed447_ are you carrying something at all times to treat a hypo, if your numbers do go too low?

Yes .. nuts

Thanks for asking

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes .. nuts

Thanks for asking

:)

My eexperience of Reactive Hypoglycaemia is that nuts are GREAT, but they are better at preventing a hypo than for treating one.

So I would eat a few nuts if my blood glucose was on the way down, and I thought I was heading for a hypo.

But if I was actually in a hypo, then a small amount of quick acting carbs, like a few mouthfuls of a fizzy drink, or some tea with sugar, or a some milk. Even a biscuit, will bring your blood glucose up higher than the nuts would. Some people carry glucose tablets. They are pretty horrible, but they are very easy to carry, and you won't be tempted to eat too many of them! :) The fruit is a good idea, but sometimes it can be hard to carry round with you.

The trick with RH is to keep the amount of glucose small. Otherwise you may send your blood glucose up too high and start off another reactive cycle.

Hope that makes sense :)

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi algarvedave .. your speech is encouraging .. thank you for that .. can you tell me about your diet .. and do take it every 2hrs or only 3 meals

Sorry Ayed, I have only just seen your question.

I cut out nearly all carbs and did it all straight away, not slowly.
I have cut out all potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes, biscuits, flour, bread, some fruit and all items with added sugar. I just drink water, tea, coffee and some red wine.
I started my low carb high fat diet on March 7th so I have been on it now for just over 5 weeks. I initially was eating 3 meals per day and nothing in-between but I have now increased it to having 3 meals per day and snacks in between - maybe a hand full of nuts or a Greek style yogurt (no added sugar) with raspberries or strawberries and fresh cream.
I found I had very low energy levels some days so I have increased my fat intake and added a high protein fruit smoothie twice a day using low carb vanilla whey protein. This definitely helps.

So far I have not had one hypo which is rare for me in a 5 week period.

Reactions: Lamont D

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a GREAT testimonial @algarvedave :D

Have you been adding in the broth or salt, and making sure you get enough magnesium and potassium, while low carbing?

It is a fairly common experience that people get cramps when they drop all the processed carbs, mainly because there is a lot of hidden salt in the carbs, so when we switch to eating unprocessed foods, we usually reduce the salt intake.

Personally, I supplement with small amounts of magnesium and potassium, or get cramps in the night.
And I add salt to my cooking.

Here is a link on the subject
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes

Hi Brunneria,

Sorry I only just saw your reply.

I have added much more salt to my diet and increased my fluids considerably but both have failed to stop my cramps.
I have suffered a lot from very painful cramp all my life to be honest and have occasionally had leg cramps at night but this has occurred in both legs every night since I started the LCHF diet.
I am having to jump out of bed 2 or 3 times per night to ease it with the first episode nearly always occurring around 5 or 6 am and then at around hourly intervals.
Do you take magnesium and potassium supplements in tablet form?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,

Sorry I only just saw your reply.

I have added much more salt to my diet and increased my fluids considerably but both have failed to stop my cramps.
I have suffered a lot from very painful cramp all my life to be honest and have occasionally had leg cramps at night but this has occurred in both legs every night since I started the LCHF diet.
I am having to jump out of bed 2 or 3 times per night to ease it with the first episode nearly always occurring around 5 or 6 am and then at around hourly intervals.
Do you take magnesium and potassium supplements in tablet form?

Yes. Just very ordinary potassium. I think I got the last ones from Holland and Barratt, but it varies.
With the magnesium, there are lots of different types of mag, and you need to make a personal decision based on your priorities.
Price, effect on bowels, and absorbability...

I can remember seening an article somewhere that explained the differences between them. Give me 5 mins and I will search it out.

I take small doses. about a quarter of the recommended daily amounts, I think.
I've no desire to overload on any dietary supplements, and I just take the view that by topping up with small portions of supplements I am avoiding deficiency (which triggers the cramps), rather than exceeding the guidelines. But I guess the proof is in the pudding. For me, if I don't take the tablets, I get cramps. If I do, the cramps disappear. So I stop at that point. I expect we all have slightly different requirements.

Hope that makes sense.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
here is that article.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/19/magnesium-deficiency.aspx

Mercola is a doctor who makes his living my suggesting to people that they follow his advice (aren't all docs like that :D). But he would like you to buy his books, and his supplements, and so on.
So I often read his articles for interest, and then go off and verify what he is saying elsewhere, from an impartial source. :)

In this case, reading around, I decided that small amounts of Magnesium glycinate (chelated) was the best option for me, and I have been taking it for a couple of years now.