Hypoglycaemia

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
my 2 year old has been taken in to hospital with this 3x now 1st time her blood sugars was 0.4 they got her levels up with alot of means then sent her home next day the next time i took her in by a+e as advised by the docs after me saying my concerns on Wednesday she was sick and did not pee for a while she was in till sat before then she was asleep all the time and not eating then come sat she was running up and down the ward so we took her home with a blood monitor 3 different ones played up come yester she was back to sleepy none eating and not driving mutch before bed her bloods was 4.7 could not do them this morning as the machine was not working at home nurse come and took one look at her an sent her back to hospital they took her bloods was 4.0 said she looked ok and is just not her self with a new monitor in hand ww took her home two reading tonight of 3.6 and 3.7 im getting worried about all this and they just seam to brush it pff they have sent her fasted bloods off to look at her inserlin levels see why it keeps happening has any one had this and it turn out to be diabetes or am i just looking to far in to it any advice would be welcome xx

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just my opinion and said as a conversation and not medical advice..
0.4 would have freaked me out too...I'd be concerned if your child isn't well..but it doesn't sounds like diabetes, children can throw a hypoglycemic episode for various reasons, have they referred you child onto a consultant?

3.6 is within normal range, under 3.5 is abnormal for a non-diabetic
the Dr may say she may need a glucose tolerance test to see if she has reactive hypoglycemia

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
She definitely needs to be referred.
Trying not to scare you but it does seem to be a form of hypoglycaemia. I have Reactive hypoglycaemia and the symptoms sound very similar. I may be wrong. Is she always hungry always wanting sweet things and biscuits? is she warm? Does the hypo occurs after a few hours after eating?
My advice for now is to give small snacks, as low carb as she will eat! Every couple of hours, not necessary during the night but just before.
As it is the carbs and sugars that make her 'react.' Like that.
Let us know so that we can help if possible.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Forgot to add plenty of water, not milk, juice or pop, fizzy drinks.

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks i will tonight she would not eat food but when we offered her sweets and chocolate she eat them will let you know xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If she has the condition sweets and chocs are what is causing the reaction.
Try some protein or something that is not sugary!

Reactions: 3 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I hope you get her sorted out. I've got a 2 yr old and would be absolutely terrified!
Sending you both my best wishes and prayers

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
They have referred her shes at clinic next week if her sugars fall below 3.5 we need to phone the ward if below 2 have to give her the sugar drink they give me and take her to a+e thanks for you're advice xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They have referred her shes at clinic next week if her sugars fall below 3.5 we need to phone the ward if below 2 have to give her the sugar drink they give me and take her to a+e thanks for you're advice xx

I would like to add, that in case of a hypo, please be careful that once she has had something to up her blood levels, she needs to be monitored in case she rebounds to another hypo.
I had the glucose drink the first time I had a hypo in hospital, then I spiked then hypos again. Be careful with the sugary drink.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have a read on the thread 'can we have a forum on reactive hypoglycaemia' I can't do the tech thing for it so press search
Let us know how you get on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My goodness, you must be so worried!

Please come back and let us know how you are getting on.

I had hypoglycaemic symptoms from the age of 3 onwards (now 47) but nowhere near as severe as you are describing.

Apparently I used to go 'pale and floppy and sulky' according to my mother. And if we were out somewhere, she knew it was time to sit down. Unfortunately, she has never believed in snacking between meals. But we did eat well. Good quality protein, nothing processed and a lot of veg. It's just a pity about the breakfast cereals :hungover:

And avoiding snacks may (in retrospect) have been a good thing, because carby sugary things like biscuits, sweets, crisps, even sweet fruit, would have probably made things worse...

Good luck!

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
thank hun thats how i know when her sugars are going to fall she wants to sleep and not moce she doesn't have a sleep during the day normally allwayd asking for sweets tp xx

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask the Dr..about this
try and get some good natural fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil in her diet, with normal protein when you reduce the sugar, this will keep her more full and blood sugars more stable and help stop the yo-yo. when the blood glucose BG drops, the body gets hungry signals. as has been said nothing sugar or fruit till it's sorted

I'd also give her smaller meals more often so there is always something being digested for energy, cutting the sugar may have a tantrum but hunger will drive her to real food

obviously I don't know her diet but if its little else but high sugar, it could even be the cause of the metabolic imbalance

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been thinking...

She might like fat bombs.
(I do!)

Is she ok with nuts?

Sorry, I know as little as possible about children that age. ;)
Do children eat nuts, or are they a choking hazard?

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
no she can have nuts :) the nurse come today and said shes going to speek to her doc and get more info for is before clinic xx

tanith1989

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
today shes back to sleepy floppy tired drained baby again took her bloods all she had was 1pz of milk and same of juice and a small pack of harybo her bloods was 10.5 phoned nurses an hour later wahed her hands did not do before and they was 8.6 still high seen as shes not eat much mine is 5 and i have eat and drank more then she has xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The juice and haribo will send her blood glucose up quickly, then it will drop quickly.

Did you test her blood glucose an hour or two later, to see how low she went?

She would be better on sugar free squash or water.
Everything she ate (including the milk) will turn to blood glucose when it is digested.

Cheese, nuts, little cubes of cold meat, veg, etc. would be much better for her blood glucose.